Savage 110 ultralight (proof barrel)

This is why I always preach Sako to my buddies when they start talking about Tikkas and then customizing.

You can buy a Sako which comes with factory all stainless bottom metal, factory stainless magazine, multiple stock options from carbon fiber to laminate wood, adjustable stainless trigger, 5 shot 100 yard 1 MOA lifetime guarantee. All for cheaper than customizing the Tikka.

I guess I disagree. I googled a carbon light and they run $3k at Eurooptic.

Tikka Superlite - $750 OTD
Wildcat stock - $500
Stock finishing - $500
Bottom metal - $200
Metal mag -$100

Even rounding up, you’re only $2050 for a semi custom Tikka with carbon stock.

Only thing a Sako offers is a true long action or mag.

Last edited:
So... I just went down the rabbit hole on this one and heres what I've learned:

To build a similar Tikka, you're looking at(at least me locally) $2300-$2400. You can save $700~ if you have one laying around.

Yes, you can find SS T3s online for $599. In my state, when its received I have to pay nearly 10% tax, plus a transfer fee. So that puts it around $685 plus whatever they charged for shipping.

Barrel is $750 if you go Carbon Six, slightly more for the Proof.

Smithing is $100 for the swap.

Muzzle brake is about $120.

Stock is $600.

$2270~ if you buy a new action. Thats not including any nice bottom metal upgrades, bolt shroud, trigger spring, mag upgrades, etc. If you have one laying around you don't mind consuming, subtract $700. Thats still about the price of a Ridgeline and I had to consume a good shooter to make it.

Or, you could buy a CA Ridgeline for $1650-$1700... or a CA Traverse for $2000.

The Savage is sitting around $1150-$1300 so far. It surely aint pretty(most Savages aren't), but if you're buying for aesthetic then me and you have different requirements. My requirements are accurate, reliable. Buy the Savage, change the trigger, you'll have a nice lightweight gun you wouldn't mind getting banged up.

I went down the same hole as and came up with about the same price as a carbon fury which is built of a Sako clone action 1-10 twist and longer mag box. I can’t remember which model manners and Mcmillan stocks I looked at for the savage but they were 650-750 with no inletting I think the guy said, 900-1000 for drop in ready he said.

I guess I disagree. I googled a carbon light and they run $3k at Eurooptic.

Tikka Superlite - $750 OTD
Wildcat stock - $500
Stock finishing - $500
Bottom metal - $200
Metal mag -$100

Even rounding up, you’re only $2050 for a semi custom Tikka with carbon stock.

Only thing a Sako offers is a true long action or mag.

I can’t say I see the point in either one. In one case you’re customizing a rifle without addressing, in my opinion, one of the weakest parts of it - the twist rates on most Tikkas flat out suck. Yes, for the average guy buying a rifle who shoots a couple boxes of shells a year the tikka just works, but if you’re at the level where you want to dump a grand into a stock I feel like you’re probably gonna consider running heavies and that money would be better spent on a barrel.

Last I checked Sako had the same issues with twist rates.

I hope I’m not coming off as overly critical of either option - the tikkas and sakos are truly great rifles for the guy who wants to pull it off the shelf and go. I just feel like, especially at Sakos price point, there are better options.

I fully agree. The only stock Tikka barrel I’d keep is a 6.5 CM. I plan to have it retrofit to work with a WTO SL so I can swap barrels around. You can pick up bolts for about 300 to allow short mags to run.

I know lots of people would say it’s not cost effective, but I like getting used to one set up (stock feel, trigger, and esp scope). For me, it’s worth it to save the cost of a scope and make life easy.

Fshnpole

FNG
You sure those are not the leightweight. Been keeping an eye out for the ultralight and have yet to see one actually in stock. Dealer said they have yet to be released.

brsnow

WKR
You sure those are not the leightweight. Been keeping an eye out for the ultralight and have yet to see one actually in stock. Dealer said they have yet to be released.
They say they come with a carbon wrapped proof barrel.

Fshnpole

FNG
Yup there are some in 30-06. They were no there when I checked earlier. Thanks for the heads up.

brsnow

WKR
There are .308 and 30-06 up. Was going to wait for a 6.5 prc, but might just go with 30-06. My other rifle 6.5 CM fieldcraft.

brsnow

WKR
We don’t need anything at this point, less expensive to just buy meat.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those 30-06s are going for ~1150 on gunbroker, thats a good price. If the 6.5prc stays at that price then I may have to buy.

brsnow

WKR
Those 30-06s are going for ~1150 on gunbroker, thats a good price. If the 6.5prc stays at that price then I may have to buy.

right?Very tempting. I want a 6.5 prc, but the 30-06 will serve same purpose, I would guess similar recoil as well. Going to wait a few more days. Will be a 500 and under elk rifle.

VAboy

FNG
These look very interesting. Might have to roll the dice on one. I haven't owned a Savage since my first rifle 20 years ago when I got one for my 14th birthday present. Are Savage rifles accurate?
I've got a savage 116 in 25-06 and it's a tack driver with everything but the VLD's. 75gr vmax to 120 accubonds it'll put them in one ragged hole at 100 and not picky about powder charge either. My only complaint is the soft rubber recoil pad rips pretty easy.

brsnow

WKR
I've got a savage 116 in 25-06 and it's a tack driver with everything but the VLD's. 75gr vmax to 120 accubonds it'll put them in one ragged hole at 100 and not picky about powder charge either. My only complaint is the soft rubber recoil pad rips pretty easy.

are there aftermarket replacements for the accustock? Thank you