Savage Bolt Issue

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I've been having trouble feeding ammo into the chamber with my 30-06 savage axis. I was shooting Remington core lokt ammo and thought it might have had to do with the lack of a point on the tip. I just tried some federal premium that had more of a point and ran into the same problem. each time i go to feed a round into the chamber I either don't grab a round from the mag or catch the edge about 1/8 from the end and it jams as you push the bolt forward.

After further inspection, I noticed that the bolt doesn't go back far enough. If the round is pushed so the primer end of the casing is touching the back of the magazine (all the way back), the bolt doesn't go far enough back to get behind the round.

Ive made sure im pulling it all of the way back, and have made sure the magazine is locked in all the way. Is this a manufacturer defect, bad design, or am i missing something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Is it blind mag or does it have a mag? If blind mag it sounds like the mag is sitting to far back. There usually is a little spacer clip that holds mag in stock and it is 1/8" or so. If it was missing that spacer/clip it would cause the mag to move back which could cause feed issues.

I'm not too savvy with firearm part lingo, but I think what I have is a standard detachable mag...not sure if that answers your question or not. I wish i could figure out how to post some darn pics on here...

Back