Scope Adjustment VX-5

Pass-n-Thru

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for ideas on how to tune a scope I have had on my Tikka T3 for a couple years now. Its a Leupold VX-5. I set it up with
Nosler Accubond 180 grain, got the speeds off it with a Magneto Speed and used the Shooter App for adjusting the turret.
The weird scenario with this is Nosler changed to a different load or something changed in the speed, basically from the red box to
the new black one, I know it sounds weird, but the gun did not shoot the same when ammo changed. I re-zeroed the gun at 100yds, but now
when I shoot at 200 yds the app tells me to adjust 1.4, but then the gun shoots about 3" high a 200.

On old ammo I could shoot 600 yards and hit my targets with what the app told me to adjust to. That makes me feel like the scope
is doing what it is told to do.

Burning through ammo right now is hard with the lead times, but thought I would reach out and see if there was a glaring mistake somewhere
Setting up a new bullet in the app with the new speed makes me adjust to 1.5.
I bought 4 new boxes of ammo and got speeds off of them for an average, again with the Magneto V3. averages about 2856 fps.

Scratching my head at this point, I am not really educated into the long range aspect of shooting yet, just getting started, but I like to have
my scope follow what I think it should be doing. Learning and asking questions along the way.
I know I need to hand load my ammo, but that is not an option right now. I have to make the factory stuff work.

Also in the app I use the Litz for the bullet info. I let the barrel cool down and shot over the period of a couple hours to make sure
heat was not a factor. Also the left right is not an issue, all shots are centered.

Thanks in advance!

Have you confirmed your scope is tracking as it should? You can run a simple box test and see how it tracks. I am guessing its your scope. I would also check your mounting system and see if any screws are loose etc.

OP
P

Pass-n-Thru

Lil-Rokslider
I am not familiar with the box test, but I shot eight rounds at 100 yds all cut paper. There may be movement as adjusted I guess.

Macintosh

WKR
If you are zeroed at 100 yards and dial up 1.4 moa for 200--which is about right for most of my rifles--but are hitting another 1.5moa above your point of aim (1.5moa=3" at 200), it means you didnt need to dial at all to be inside 1/4" of your point of aim at 200 yards. My first reaction is you are either shooting a laser beam, or something is off. Had you zeroed the gun that day or verify zero after shooting at 200, or was your re-zero from a previous session? Are yardages measured, and when you say you were 3” high are you measuring from the center of a group, or is this a single shot?

If I did this myself, knowing my own propensity for such things, my first thought would be that I probably dialed, then forgot I had dialed, and dialed again by feel without looking--i.e. inadvertently dialed my elevation twice. I don't know the cds dials intimately, but did you verify that the rifle zero matches the turret zero-stop or zero, and verify you only had 1.4 or 1.5 moa dialed at 200 from that point? If you didnt already that would be my personal first check given the coincidence between the elevation dialed and your error.

After that I'd start looking at equipment/data. You may be more on it than me, scopes dont all track, but those would be my personal first places to look.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
I am not familiar with the box test, but I shot eight rounds at 100 yds all cut paper. There may be movement as adjusted I guess.
At 100 yards place a target dot on the bottom of a target
Place a subsequent dot 10moa above it. (10.475")
Fire 10-20 rounds aiming at the bottom dot but alternate dialing up 10moa
That'll give you an idea if the scope is adjusting correctly.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Betting the data in the app you have is wrong for either velocity, or zero range. Garbage in = garbage out. Assuming you got the same ammo as in exact same factory load and bullet weight and type.