Scope Advice

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a new scope for a 6.5 Creed. I prefer to dial for elevation and hold for wind. This will go on a hunting rifle for shots out to 500 yards, so reliable dialing and fairly lightweight are a must. Here are the scopes I'm looking at:

1. Leupold VX3HD - new scope that is quite light (16oz.) also the cheapest.
2. Vortex Razor LHT - seems like a great scope
3. Leupold VX5HD - a bit heavier and expensive than VX3.
4. Zeiss V4 - Have this scope on another rifle and it's fantastic, but also a bit heavier (22 oz.)

*I've heard a few issues with the Leupold and their ability to dial consistently and accurately. Any input on these scopes would be appreciated.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Kevin - appreciate you checking out our glass! If you have any questions on the LHT, please let me know!

Dcrafton

WKR
I'm looking for a new scope for a 6.5 Creed. I prefer to dial for elevation and hold for wind. This will go on a hunting rifle for shots out to 500 yards, so reliable dialing and fairly lightweight are a must. Here are the scopes I'm looking at:

1. Leupold VX3HD - new scope that is quite light (16oz.) also the cheapest.
2. Vortex Razor LHT - seems like a great scope
3. Leupold VX5HD - a bit heavier and expensive than VX3.
4. Zeiss V4 - Have this scope on another rifle and it's fantastic, but also a bit heavier (22 oz.)

*I've heard a few issues with the Leupold and their ability to dial consistently and accurately. Any input on these scopes would be appreciated.

Couple of things,
1. The 6.5 creed is not very flat compared to other options. Good round though
2. 500 yards is not very far so dialing will not be an issue with most scopes.
3. I’ve got one vortex and three VX5hd.
I’ve never had an issue with any of them.
4. For glass quality I would go with the VX5HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed and 500 yards is where I’d feel comfortable shooting a Creedmore and getting reliable expansion with a 120-127 grain Barnes. Maybe 600-700 with the LRX.

Bater

WKR
I’d go LHT or V4 for your needs. I prefer the LHT but both have held up very well for my serious dialing.

If you are open to others look up a tract Toric 3-15 1”. I run one on my 260 and have for the past 3 years. Zero issues dialed to 1000 and everywhere inside that for 200-250 rounds shot while dialed. Always returns to zero, tracked true in a measured test I ran and hasn’t given me a reason to doubt on target. 20 oz $750

Zdub02

WKR
Either leupold with a M1 turret on top and wind plex reticle would suit your needs perfectly. I haven't had any issues with my VX3 dialing accurately - rifle/scope shoots great. You will get better glass quality out of the VX5 should you go that route.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Either leupold with a M1 turret on top and wind plex reticle would suit your needs perfectly. I haven't had any issues with my VX3 dialing accurately - rifle/scope shoots great. You will get better glass quality out of the VX5 should you go that route.
Thanks. The wind Plex reticle looks great.

ive owned both the leupolds on your list and would highly recommend the vx5-hd. I try to stay away from vortex optics just due to some bad experiences with their glass. (yes they have great warranty but so does every other top tier optic company)

Have several Leupold VX-6HDs and they all track very well. Would highly recommend the Leupold VX-5HD (same glass) - the optics are very clear and bright and they are fairly rugged while still being a fairly lightweight scope.

Have a Swarovski Z5 on my 6.5CM which I’d highly recommend for a lightweight scope - took plenty of game with that rig shooting 140GR AB and 143 ELD-X . Multiple Chamois and Sheep 350-500 Yards. Not a big fan of taking shots much longer than 500 yards in the mountains - wind channels, thermal currents, shot angles, and many other variables in play.

BTW - don’t judge the CM from numbers on paper. After quite a bit of field experience my conclusion is it punches above its weight on game. A fine sheep and goat cartridge.

You’ve already made the correct decision to keep the weight down. It’s not what feels tolerable when packing up to leave came, but what it feels like after wearing it for 8-10 hours on the mountain.

ecsn7d

FNG
Have several Leupold VX-6HDs and they all track very well. Would highly recommend the Leupold VX-5HD (same glass) - the optics are very clear and bright and they are fairly rugged while still being a fairly lightweight scope.

Have a Swarovski Z5 on my 6.5CM which I’d highly recommend for a lightweight scope - took plenty of game with that rig shooting 140GR AB and 143 ELD-X . Multiple Chamois and Sheep 350-500 Yards. Not a big fan of taking shots much longer than 500 yards in the mountains - wind channels, thermal currents, shot angles, and many other variables in play.

BTW - don’t judge the CM from numbers on paper. After quite a bit of field experience my conclusion is it punches above its weight on game. A fine sheep and goat cartridge.

You’ve already made the correct decision to keep the weight down. It’s not what feels tolerable when packing up to leave came, but what it feels like after wearing it for 8-10 hours on the mountain.
What is your rifle setup?

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
ive owned both the leupolds on your list and would highly recommend the vx5-hd. I try to stay away from vortex optics just due to some bad experiences with their glass. (yes they have great warranty but so does every other top tier optic comp
Absolutely agree on the Creedmore. I'm shooting 120 grain Barnes TTSX around 3000 FPS, so it has plenty of reach for deer, antelope, pig, etc. I've just heard so many posts about Leupold scopes not tracking well- makes me kinda nervous.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
What is your rifle setup?
It's a semi-custom R700. Greyboe stock, Triggetech, 23 in barrel. It's a tad on the heavy side bare which is why I want to keep the scope as trim as possible.

It‘s an H-S Precision Professional Hunter Lightweight (PHL), 24in Barrel; Talley QD Rings and Bases, and Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BRH. Completely loaded and ready to hunt it is right at 8lbs. I like that weight. Not a burden to carry, but enough weight for a stable shot when the moment of truth arrives.