What’s your go to dial hunting scope?

Nightforce NX8 and Nightforce ATACR.

I have one of the Razor LHT and while the glass is pretty dood, I have no doubts it is not as robust as a NF or probably not even the Trijicon TenMile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

amassi

WKR
Open terrain, long shots in mule deer terrain is what the scope would be used for. I currently used a 4-16x42 with a BDC reticle to make shots and price out to 600 yards. I’d like to practice further so I’ve looking into moving to a scope that can repeatedly dial and RTZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then it’s a toss up
I prefer the shv reticle to the credo
If your open to ffp the 4-14 shv and trijicon tenmile would be better for wind holds
Sticking with the price point of your original post though outside the listed brands
Swfa 3-9, 3-15 or fixed 6 would also work

Kurts86

WKR
I really like the SHV series for what they are. They are durable, moderately priced, the illumination is better than most of the other NF productions because it’s just the center x. The modest zoom range also minimizes a lot NF’s FFP reticle design problems. They also have fewer mounting issues than the super compact NX8 series.

If you play with an SHV at a store they are going to be a fairly underwhelming because they look like a dated scope and the controls are very simplified. Once you understand that they took the money out of quality of life thing like turret set up and just made a great scope for the money it makes more sense.

If you look at a LHT and a VX5 against an SHV at cabelas you are not going to be blown away because the money was spend on the guts of the scope rather than a slick turret system. The SHV will also feel like a relative brick compared to the others.

If you buy a NF today you will look back in 3 years and be happy with that purchase. If you buy a Leupold, Vortex or Zeiss you will be back after 1-3 seasons asking which scope you should buy again.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that’s the first I’ve heard of a razor being favored over a Nightforce

The Nightforce brand has a reputation for quality that's well earned. The reality is their glass tends to be underwhelming versus other scopes at their price point (for many models) but people pay for the durability and name. The SHV line especially was great when it was released and is still GOOD but other scopes have passed it by for glass and features. I am going to be selling my SHV and probably replacing it with a Burris XTR3 since I already have a lightweight hunting scope with my LHT. I may go with something other than a Burris though (possibly more expensive) because I just hate that the MRAD reticle in the 5.5-30 is that god awful looking SCR 2MIL one. Now that I have my LHT I'm a huge can of floating center dots.

I had concerns about my LHT's durability and possible POI shifts due to side impacts because of Form's testing posted on here. Maybe he got a couple lemons or maybe I just got a good one, either way it turns out that isn't an issue with my LHT at all. No doubts at all anymore about its durability.

JGRaider

WKR
Arken EP4 4-16x
Arken EP4 6-24x
Athlon Helos 2-12x
LRHS

All have had the crap beat out of them on 4 wheelers, ATV's scabbards, pickup trucks. Loads of hogs and whitetail does taken and they've been dead nuts on regardless of "scope evaluation" threads.

TheViking

WKR
Open terrain, long shots in mule deer terrain is what the scope would be used for. I currently used a 4-16x42 with a BDC reticle to make shots and price out to 600 yards. I’d like to practice further so I’ve looking into moving to a scope that can repeatedly dial and RTZ

I have a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 that is very lightly used I’d be willing to give you a great deal on. I bumped up to the Credo HX 4-16x50, purely personal preference on objective diameter.

Fantastic scope, I believe it’s 22oz, which is way less than majority of NF scopes

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 CDS ZL2 Firedot Reticle. I am more of a basic reticle person. I love the firedot duplex reticle and I currently have 2 reticles like this. I love the zero stop on both elevation and windage. Worth it! Firedot can come in handy early morning and as night is approaching. But it's always nice to light it up whenever you want. I have not done the CDS yet. Still debating on which caliber I'm going to use it for 257 weatherby or 6.5 PRC.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
From your list, Nightforce would be my choice. They repeatedly track well and are pretty bulletproof.

I also like Meopta. Reasonably priced for a European scope, although their exposed turret selection is limited to a few in the Meotac/ZD lines. Good luck with your search.

MojaveJim

FNG
Depends if you truly want repeatability. Steiner M series, S&B , ZCO, TT & NF I would trust. A top tier scope is just that, and none are inexpensive.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve really been enjoying the trijicon tenmile HX 3-18x50 and the nightforce shv 4-15x50 f1. I also have SWFA 3-9 mounted up on a tikka and a few swfa 6x scopes.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Looking to switch from BDC to a dialing scope.

In person I have looked at the Nightforce SHV, luepold VX5, zeiss V4 and vortex razor LHT. Also considering the Creedo.

Simply comparing the features of each in person, I liked the vortex the best with their locking elevation dial and the reticle but not sure I trust them to hold and return to zero like a Nightforce would.

Open to other options, looking for a second focal plan scope

You might want to look at the NXS model also.