What’s your go to dial hunting scope?

OP
T
Thanks all. Right now the best back from my buck looks to be the creedo 2.5-15. I wish SWFA had capped windage and zero stop and was offered in MOA (I know MOA fairly well at this point and don’t want to switch to mills)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an NX8 2.5x20 and a NXS 2.5x10. I've had several 3-15s in the past as well. NEVER had one miss a beat tracking and I am not nice to my hunting guns. they hold zero and track back every time.

Steiner M5xi heavy but built like a tank & holds up to abuse of the backcountry.

Really?

All my research has said the opposite about Steiner scopes. Even the T6xi line, which is arguably more durable than the others has had a lot of hit and miss reports of QC control regarding reticle and turret feel/use. As for the M line, it’s hard to get over the infamous sage dynamics failure. For several grand, even the gamble of mushy turrets is not worth it.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I've went down this same rabbit hole several times over the last few years....
Here's my 2 cents. I have a VX5 44mm Fire dot, I've had it for 5 years and it's worked flawlessly, Imo it's the perfect hunting/back country scope.(size,weight, locking turret and great glass) that being said, all the negative/questionable reports with the VX line, I just don't have the faith to buy another.

Looking for another scope last yr. After reading about every post and review also the drop test on rokslide, combined with a good sale online, I end up going with a trijicon tenmile 4-24x50. It comes with nice flip up caps, and a nice scope coat. I've not put it to the back country test yet. But So far so good, the glass quality is really good, every bit as good as my VX5 or better. My only complaint so far is how far the side turret and focus knows stick out, it's kind of annoying how they rub on your forearm or hip when carrying the rifle(I'm trying add a picture but having trouble) but they stick out 1" on each side of the scope body. Also the top turret does have a zero stop, but it does not lock like the VX5. I like it but I'm not in love with it, (at least not yet) Hopefully after a good year of testing and dialing all of that won't matter and it will be my #1 scope.

I gave the Vortex and nightforce you mentioned some serious thought. I couldn't bring myself to go with a vortex just because of my personal opinion of them, and the nightforce redicals i didnt care for and the clarity just wasn't good enough imo for the cost.

I know others won't agree, but just my thoughts, I hope it helps! Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
If I had a VX5 for 5 yrs that worked perfectly, I sure wouldn't have gotten rid of it based on some internet test. To each his own though.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider

If I had a VX5 for 5 yrs that worked perfectly, I sure wouldn't have gotten rid of it based on some internet test. To each his own though.
I never said I got rid of it, it's still on my #1 rig. I simply said I lost faith and I couldn't bring my to buy another for my next gun.

I never said I didn't have faith in it because of some internet test! I've spent hours upon hours reading stories how they've failed so many people in not tracking correctly! Also if you look at the amount of used VX5s and VX6s that are for sale that is a tell tail. And yes at the end of the day, each to his own.

I never said I got rid of it, it's still on my #1 rig. I simply said I lost faith and I couldn't bring my to buy another for my next gun.

I never said I didn't have faith in it because of some internet test! I've spent hours upon hours reading stories how they've failed so many people in not tracking correctly! Also if you look at the amount of used VX5s and VX6s that are for sale that is a tell tail. And yes at the end of the day, each to his own.

I’ll take personal experience of what somebody says on the internet any day.

If you had a VX5 work for you for 5 years, why did you let somebody on the internet sway you away from them if you don’t put faith in them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JGRaider

WKR

If you had a VX5 work for you for 5 years, why did you let somebody on the internet sway you away from them if you don’t put faith in them?

You can say that again.

amassi

WKR

Let’s say you flew on a certain model airplane.
Been flying on it for 5 years, never an issues. Just fuel and maintenance and it’s absolutely dependable.
Then planes of the same model, hours and maintenance start crashing. The manufacturer says they don’t crash since they shook them real hard and they survived.
How many planes need to crash before you buy a new model?

JGRaider

WKR
LOL.........I guess if you beat the ever-lovin' schitttt out of the plane before you fly in it, I probably wouldn't fly in it. If some dude says on the internet that the particular plane is unreliable, then I probably would anyway. It's a poor analogy anyway, as riflescopes aren't a matter of life or death, at least in my world.

amassi

WKR
It can carry over to anything
How many transmissions need to explode? gun trigger fire on close? Fasteners break? Literally and manufactured item that was once dependable becomes less so
You get the point
Dogmatic refusal to account for real world experience because you don’t personally know the source would be a poor way to go about changing out any tool. Jumping into every conversation trying to downplay the validity of others concerns even more so.

JGRaider

WKR
I'm not downplaying anything. I wholeheartedly agree with Mike D in that personal experience trumps what you read about on the internet, that's all.

Wonder why there isn't a binocular drop test being done? After all, hunters use binos 10 time smore than their rifle scope. Maybe some guy can crawl up on his hous and start launching binos off the rooftop and see which ones "survive" the rooftop drop test. I've had 3 Leica Geovids crap the bed, but I'm not going to proclaim that all Geovid's suck either. I won't buy another one though.......you know.....that personal experience thing.

I'm not downplaying anything. I wholeheartedly agree with Mike D in that personal experience trumps what you read about on the internet, that's all.

Wonder why there isn't a binocular drop test being done? After all, hunters use binos 10 time smore than their rifle scope. Maybe some guy can crawl up on his hous and start launching binos off the rooftop and see which ones "survive" the rooftop drop test. I've had 3 Leica Geovids crap the bed, but I'm not going to proclaim that all Geovid's suck either. I won't buy another one though.......you know.....that personal experience thing.

It’s my understanding that binoculars are inherently more durable than scopes because of the way they are built and the simplicity of mechanics. If we had common use of variable mag binos I’m sure everyone would be testing durability of their moving parts

mcseal2

WKR
I have had good luck with Huskemaw scopes on reliability. I have a 1-6x on a Ruger Scout rifle, a 3-12x on a 270 win, 4-16x on a 243 and a 300 win mag, and 5-20x on an AR and 264 win mag. No issues with them after a fair amount of dialing. I have a range with steel less than a mile from my house I set up, so I get to shoot more than most.

The 5-20x is my pick for whitetail hunting from a stand. The 50mm objective is an advantage in low light. Other than that the 4-16x is pretty good for an all-around scope. The reticle in the 1-6x is a little thicker than I like, but works pretty well on the scout.

JGRaider

WKR
It’s my understanding that binoculars are inherently more durable than scopes because of the way they are built and the simplicity of mechanics. If we had common use of variable mag binos I’m sure everyone would be testing durability of their moving parts
But some are definitely tougher than others, just like riflescopes.

The negative stuff on the internet comes from other people's personal experience, not from thin air.
Wonder why there isn't a binocular drop test being done?
Because we're not using binoculars to aim our rifles, change magnification, and make extremely fine adjustments to the aiming point via turret systems?

It's one thing to discount it if Form were the only one saying this stuff. But Leupold has a notorious reputation for poor tracking and zero retention. If there's a gigantic consensus on a piece of gear it usually means there's some substance to it.