Scope choice for moose

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Planning a DIY moose hunt for a couple of years from now and was looking for an excuse to possibly buy another scope :). Have a 340 Wby with a 1.5-8x32 Vortex Razor on it that I was planning on taking. After looking at the contract it appears that if I get a crack at a wolf, black bear or wolverine I can do so. For you folks that have moose hunted in Alaska (think we'll be in GMU 18?), is the chance at the non-targeted critters going to leave me wanting more magnification?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve used the following:
-meopta meopro 3-9
-Zeiss won quest 3-9 (same as the meopta)
-leupold vx3 1.5-5
-leupold vx3 2.5-8

My preference is the 2.5-8 leupold, great scope for moose hunting.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I used a Leopold Vari-X II, 2x7x33 for about 18 years hunting big game in AK. It worked fine. However, a few years ago I shot a moose at light light, which is not uncommon, and was longing for a scope that gathered more light. I could barely see the crosshairs when I made the shot so I "upgraded" to a NightForce, SHV, 3-10x42. The larger objective lens should gather more light and provides more magnification. You might consider a scope and objective lens that gathers good light for low light shooting conditions, which is not uncommon when moose hunting. Finally, I think a scope with 7-10 power magnification will be be fine for any game and conditions you might encounter in AK, provided a good operator, knowing your limitations, and practice ;). Good luck.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
provided a good operator, knowing your limitations, and practice ;). Good luck.
DANG IT!! I'm screwed 😀. Ultimately it's a moose hunt so the magnification is probably close enough, but you hit the nail on the head with the low light shots. Gonna do some low light shooting with it an make an assessment. Thanks

peaceman

Lil-Rokslider
I use a vx6 3-18 and have taken shots out to 620 yards, and contemplated a 900 yard shot on a wolf. Depending where you are hunting depends on your scope, but this range is perfect for anything IMO. My son has a 4-12 and wishes he had more magnification.

I used a zeiss V4 4-16x44.

The reticle was the most important part for me as I used it to measure the width of the antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLW66

FNG
i was fortunate enough to take a moose last fall at just under 300. I used a Leupold VX-5 3-15. Love that scope, but didnt really need all the magnification. Took the shot on 6x. Like the nightforce recommendation. Good luck. Moose burgers are awesome.

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold 2-12 if your floating
Leupold 3-18 if your hunting hilltops
Your hunting Moose first, so bring the right scope for your Moose hunt. If something else walks by....

hodgeman

WKR
I've shot 4 moose with a rifle, all with a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest. Piece of cake. 2 were first light, 1 was last night and one was (unusually) at 1:00 in the afternoon.

I've shot wolves and black bears with the same rifle and scope.

Almost every shot was set on 6x.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've shot 4 moose with a rifle, all with a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest. Piece of cake. 2 were first light, 1 was last night and one was (unusually) at 1:00 in the afternoon.

I've shot wolves and black bears with the same rifle and scope.

Almost every shot was set on 6x.

This right here.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the opinions. Think I'll either swap a 3.5-18x44 I have on another gun or see whats out there for sale with an objective that's bigger than the 32 I've got on the gun now.

3-15x50 is on my hunting gun but it also weighs 12lbs. I just like being able to reach out and touch critters if the occasion calls for it. Last two moose were taken out at 477 and 580 yards. I've taken plenty of moose sub-100 yards, the above two were a rare situation, but I'm 100% confident after tons of practice to take anything up to 800 yards out. Why limit yourself with equipment not up to the task? Disclaimer - I'm assuming you are well versed in longer range shots......

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
3-15x50 is on my hunting gun but it also weighs 12lbs. I just like being able to reach out and touch critters if the occasion calls for it. Last two moose were taken out at 477 and 580 yards. I've taken plenty of moose sub-100 yards, the above two were a rare situation, but I'm 100% confident after tons of practice to take anything up to 800 yards out. Why limit yourself with equipment not up to the task? Disclaimer - I'm assuming you are well versed in longer range shots......
Bold assumption... :D . Definitely a novice, but confidence in longer shots is getting better the more I learn/practice. With the right scenario would be comfortable to about 500 yards at this point.

Comfortable with your 1-8x32 out to 500? If you are then that's great, it can certainly be done. I have my lighter weight rifle with a 1-6x32, and the last time I had both guns together at low light it was literally night and day looking through both of them.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Oh no. On other rifles with higher power optics. The lower powered scope was bought for a kodiak bear hunt that took a poopy once COVID hit

AkRyan

WKR
Any quality 3x9 will work just fine for your needs. Tbh the scope you have is just fine.