Scope for Mountain Rifle

shurshot

FNG
I need a good dusk and dawn scope for one of my mountain rifles. Really want to be able for my old eyes to see better the last 15 minutes of shooting light on a cloudy day. Don’t need dials or crazy high magnification; just a good hunting scope out to about 300 yards.

I currently have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, a Leupold 2.5-8x36, and a Leupold Vx3 3.5-10x40. I love all of these but want something that does a little better in those last 15 minutes.

Was wondering if going to a 50mm objective or a more expensive scope would would help more. Or both? Willing to spend up to about $1200.

gbflyer

WKR
Low light performance favors the European stuff. Swarovski, Leica, etc in my experience. Generally heavier and more costly. I’m not sure that the large objective does much for you, only a certain amount of light that the human eye lets in anyway. Doug at Cameraland NY is a great resource, more than just a salesman.

LightFoot

WKR
Get the best 3-12x56 you can afford.

Think Zeiss or Schmidt & Bender.

I have a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 built in the late 90s and it still stacks up against anything else I have.

I’ve shot a lot of deer under that scope.
b2fd20489a9773db8982608462da0e9b.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheGDog

WKR
Find a buddy with a Burris Veracity 3-15x50mm and give a look thru it. You just might be pleasantly surprised! Said the 53yo programmer who can't see chit without his glasses on.

But understand it will add some weight though. it's 25.1oz

This review might be helpful for you

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

JCMCUBIC

WKR
This review might be helpful for you

The 8x56 S&B is really good. I prefer the 6x42 S&B for most of my use, and it's good in low light, but if low light was THE focus I'd go with the 8x56.

OP
S

shurshot

FNG
How about:

Swarovski Optik Z5 2.4-12x50 BT - 4W

Nightforce Optics SHV 4-14x56 - .25MOA - MOAR Non Illuminated

Element 2-16x50

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56mm CDS-ZL2 - FireDot Duplex Illuminated

It would be our pleasure to discuss options as well as opportunities with you. As a long standing supporting vendor here, whether you buy from us or elsewhere, we are always here to assist.

If you have the time please give us a call, 516-217-1000
I will give you a call later today!

OP, have you been kept from taking a shot in the first or last 15 minutes of legal shooting light with the scopes mentioned in your opening post?

Going to a monster size objective on a good scope as has been shared in this thread can accomplish what you ask, however that size scope and mountain rifle are hard to reconcile. However, if that is a necessary part of the equation for your situation, you need to do what will work for you.

FWIW, the most recent scope I have put on a rifle is a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10x40 and it did excellent in fading legal shooting light this year at 10x and 210 yards on a whitetail working its way across a hillside. Otherwise, my scopes are older 3-9x40 Leupolds. They have never kept me from a shot, however in my opinion the HD glass is better in the VX3HD line up compared to the older Leupolds, which only makes sense as thing evolve over time with respect to glass.

Hope you have a good call with Doug at Cameraland, looking forward to what you come up with.

Last edited:
Another thought, if you check here again before calling Doug at camera land.

What binoculars are you carrying? I'm a proponent and advise spending more on binoculars and get a good scope. Not saying you shouldn't upgrade from what you've listed in your original post. A hunter should be using binoculars exponentially more than the scope most cases where a shot up to 300 yards could occur as shared in your opening post.

This season, Viper 12x50s picked out that deer on the hillside in my post above in very low light and the VX3HD 3.5-10x40 did a better job at 10 power than the Vipers. Previously had a VX-2 on that gun. The Vipers were comparable to that but the new HD Leupold is nicer glass to my eye.

Doing the math the exit pupils were virtually identical so I chalk that up to better HD glass in the Leupold scope.

My next purchase is not a better scope however it will be stepping up in binocular glass.

As a tangent, IMO Viper HD's are good binoculars for the price (when I got them) however I'm starting to think I may want to cry once and buy once with my next binoculars despite being stubborn thinking that $500 is a lot (approx Viper cost). I may not be crying for a $2,000 pair of binoculars but an upgrade from the Vipers still will bring a tear to my eye.

prm

WKR
Doug, any chance you guys will pick up Trijicon? @gr8fuldoug

Also, look forward to your SHOT reports and anything new Nightforce might have.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug, any chance you guys will pick up Trijicon? @gr8fuldoug

Also, look forward to your SHOT reports and anything new Nightforce might have.
We were an active Trijicon dealer years ago and we stopped stocking them and basically gave up their line as they are more dedicated to their military contracts than the consumer side of their business which made customer service to our buyers very difficult. We prefer to work with suppliers that care about the end users and we felt that was not the case with Trijicon.