Scope mounts

If a guy were building a lightweight hunting rifle what are the best options for scope mounts. I'm thinking the scope will be a leupold 2.5-8x36 on a howa mountain rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can't answer with complete confidence, but I just swapped some mounts over to Talley light weights. I haven't used them enough to say yah or nah, but good so far.

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
I have Talley Lightweights on most all of my guns and have been very pleased with them

hodgeman

WKR
I've used a bunch of different ones. Talley lightweights are good. Leupold Dual Dovetails are solid. DNZ worked great.

I now have Warne Maximas on just about everything now. I just prefer a vertical split ring and they seem oblivious to recoil and generally getting banged around.

GKPrice

Banned
IMO it matters what kind of "kicker" your building or putting together - anything up to and including 308 or 270 will be well served with Talleys or DNZ (another underrated but EXCELLANTLY made mount) but to me anything at or beyond 30.06 deserves the robustness of something like, for Tikka, Mountain Tactical picatinney rail and then whatever rings a person chooses, with the recoil shear pin (and the fact that Tikka was the one who thought of it and builds the recess into the bridge) there's an extra bit of insurance - I know that we've seldom, if ever, heard of 6x48 screws shearing off but I'm just "one of those guys" I suppose and tell me why Kimber does 8x40's ?? - Actually, as I reread this post it dawns on me that I only shoot Tikka or Kimber anymore - When I used to shoot others I most always used Leupold Dual Dovetails and they attach to the receiver with 6x48's so maybe I'm full of B.S. ( was known to redrill and thread holes to 8x40 often though) Melvin Forbes tells me he puts 6x48 on his 416's and such and never loses a minute's sleep about it

Last edited:
Talley lightweights are good. I bed them to the action. My next set will definitely be the Hawkins rings though!!

choovhntr

WKR
Warne came out with their mountain tech line recently. Aluminum tactical style rings for either weaver or picatanny style bases. I was going to get them but couldn't wait any longer for their realease and went with TPS rings instead. Happy with those as well.