Scope recommendations .300 WM

dblb

FNG
I need your help with deciding on a scope for my new kimber subalpine .300 WM. I would like to keep the setup light and mounted low. I will be using it for mule deer and elk in Montana. I am a rookie on anything over 300 yards but I would like to extend that range to 500 or so. I need to learn more about what it takes to get out that far and what glass will help me accomplish that. I plan to read and ask additional questions in the long range section regarding techniques.

Thanks
BB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
D

dblb

FNG
1500 or less.
Dials if that is what it takes to effectively hunt at 500yd. Are hold over reticles good enough for out to 500 yards?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's a generous budget, but you're kind of in a no mans land when youre talking about light weight and low mounting for a scope that will help you hit beyond max point blank range. Leupold's VX-3i and VX-5's fit the light weight aspect, and will probably hold zero for you if you're not dialing a ton. The good dialing scopes are generally quite heavy. Something with a ballistic reticle is great.......but the light weight ones are generally second focal plane so you HAVE to be on max magnification for the reticle to work as advertised.

You really need to decide what YOU want. Complex reticle or reliable dialing, first or second focal plane, magnification range, objective size, max weight. There's hundreds of scopes in your budget,

I'm sure someone will jump on here soon to recommend a 6X SWFA, which is a scope I have never actually seen in person. The Nightforce NXS 2-10 could be a good fit for you, or the NX8 1-8 if you're really committed to low mounting. Meopta Meostar's come in a wide variety of sizes and reticles, there's probably several that would meet your needs, same with the Leica's cameraland has had on sale lately. Honestly, with your vague criteria a decent salesman could convince you to buy just about anything.

WKR
Tim has some great advice on scopes. Lightweight scopes such as Leupolds VX3 line and Swaros Z3/Z5 line are not know for the repeatably when dialing for drop. The lightest weight scopes that I know of for dependable dialing are the NXS 2-10 and March 2.5-25 which weigh around 20 oz and are at the top and above your budget.

Today I picked up a kimber hunter and the Z3 3-10x42 which weighs 12.7 oz. I got the brx reticle because I wont be using it for dialing and if I am going to be shooting at longer ranges then I figure I will be at max magnification anyway for the reticles to work. I dont know if the reticles will work or be a pain in the ass. I will find out during load development and some range time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tim has some great advice on scopes. Lightweight scopes such as Leupolds VX3 line and Swaros Z3/Z5 line are not know for the repeatably when dialing for drop. The lightest weight scopes that I know of for dependable dialing are the NXS 2-10 and March 2.5-25 which weigh around 20 oz and are at the top and above your budget.

Today I picked up a kimber hunter and the Z3 3-10x42 which weighs 12.7 oz. I got the brx reticle because I wont be using it for dialing and if I am going to be shooting at longer ranges then I figure I will be at max magnification anyway for the reticles to work. I dont know if the reticles will work or be a pain in the ass. I will find out during load development and some range time.

I have a Swarovski z3 with the BRH reticle, I just used factory Ammo and used their app to get the chart for the ammo I was using, I used a range finder and found the chart to be pretty accurate.

WKR
I have a Swarovski z3 with the BRH reticle, I just used factory Ammo and used their app to get the chart for the ammo I was using, I used a range finder and found the chart to be pretty accurate.
Thanks for the feedback. I saw their app online to plug in your particular load for their reticle and I am glad it is accurate. I plan on using the 145 lrx with the .280 ai and see how it does.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the feedback. I saw their app online to plug in your particular load for their reticle and I am glad it is accurate. I plan on using the 145 lrx with the .280 ai and see how it does.

I just wish there was a way to print it off, no big deal I can just write it on a card but still.

I don’t hunt much past 300yds but I like to be prepared out to 500, I think that scope is pretty good for that.

OP
D

dblb

FNG
The Z3 and the VX3 were the two that I have looked at so far, and where I am currently at with the decision. I'm trying to decide if it is worth trying to learn dials and spend the money on a scope that will do it or if I should stick with one of these. I will look into the night force scope's that were mentioned. I understand that I was vague in my request, but by design to allow each of you to provide your opinion. I will likely be sub 300 hunting but being comfortable out to 500 would be nice. Weight is a consideration but not the only factor in my decision.

thanks to everyone for your replies so far.

With a rifle as light as the subalpine and wanting to keep the scope low I think a VX5 would be a great fit. They offer the impact 29 reticle which means you can dial or holdover.

But with your budget you might be able to score a VX6HD; I’m a big fan of the TMOA reticle.

Lots of guys are liking the Zeiss V4/V6 which offer good reticle choices, relatively light weight and ability to dial as well.

I personally would skip the reticle holdover stuff and get a scope made to dial if you truly want to extend your effective range to 500 and practice. For something in the 20oz range like the above suggested VX5 and VX6 on that rifle, the 2.5-10 Nightforce NXS or the 3-10 SHV are really hard to beat for a 500-600 yard optic. I own both and they are both reliable and repeatable at 20oz. Just depends on budget and features you’d like. Would be perfect on top of that rifle on Hawkins hybrid low rings...

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Eurooptic- they had some great deals on non-illuminated Leica Magnus scopes not too long ago - I picked up a 2.5-16X BDC with a 4a reticle for my new Steyr 300WM, so far its been a great setup.

excaliber

WKR
I'm in the same boat as you looking for a new scope for my 300 Win Mag. I'm leaning towards the Zeiss V4 and having Kenton or someone make me a custom dial for it. This would be close to half your budget. The reviews on these scopes have been stellar so far.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
Right now through December if you buy a Zeiss V4 or V6 you get a coupon for a free Kenton custom turret, besides they are great scopes to boot.