Scouting strategies

RobertsA

FNG
What’s some scouting strategies to use when you get to the unit when you want to hunt?

I’ve done the work as far as studying maps and finding good looking drainages and I am leaving Wednesday the 24th to go scout the unit I have picked out. What exactly should I be looking for when I get there?

Where I've been hunting, it's very hot n dry so im not expecting to see many if any animals. However it's always a welcome site to see them. I'm looking at everything I've picked apart on my maps for the most part. Additional trails, possible pack routes, easiest ways to get from point A to point B, calling locations, saddles, water, ridges above water, rubs from previous years as bulls tend to be in these areas year after year, nasty terrain in case other hunters are in the easier stuff and always looking for unfamiliar country and glassing locations. My goal is not to bump any elk so I "try" to stay out of calving areas and try to be very stealthy when near potential bedding areas. Great habitat is always a plus but doesn't always mean elk will be in those areas. Did I miss anything? ;)

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Where I've been hunting, it's very hot n dry so im not expecting to see many if any animals. However it's always a welcome site to see them. I'm looking at everything I've picked apart on my maps for the most part. Additional trails, possible pack routes, easiest ways to get from point A to point B, calling locations, saddles, water, ridges above water, rubs from previous years as bulls tend to be in these areas year after year, nasty terrain in case other hunters are in the easier stuff and always looking for unfamiliar country and glassing locations. My goal is not to bump any elk so I "try" to stay out of calving areas and try to be very stealthy when near potential bedding areas. Great habitat is always a plus but doesn't always mean elk will be in those areas. Did I miss anything? ;)
I think the toughest part that I’m going to deal with is getting away from people. I’m going for unit 24 and I don’t mind saying it because everyone and their brother seems to hunt that unit anyway. I’ve been looking on maps and their isn’t too many places that are remote as far as horse trails so it looks like I’m going to be climbing mountains and looking for those tough areas

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I like to confirm what I've seen on GE and OnX, make sure the glassing spots I think are good actually are, may find others, I like to lay GPS tracks to them from where I think I'll camp to make it easier the first day or so in the dark. One of the big things about scouting a spot you've never been to before is just finding all the trailheads, and knowing where to park. That knowledge alone can gain you time on the mountain, as simple as it seems.

Reactions: FYT

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I try to drive as many roads in the unit as I can. As I'm doing this I'm jotting notes on my map where I'm seeing sign (tracks across dirt roads, old rubs) and the greenest (best feed) areas. I make sure to hike into areas of interest via my e-scouting. Spend both evenings and mornings glassing. I also like to check out lots of water sources and hang trail cameras.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Awesome advice thank you. The spots I’ve mapped out are about 4-5 miles from the closest trailhead so I think that alone would deter some hunters right? I assume the next thing I should look into would be glassing areas

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Depends, I've gotten 5 miles from a trailhead only to find a big string of horses picketed right where I had planned to camp. The distance will definitely weed out a lot of competition, but the competition that is back there with you will be the real dudes, and you'll have to work to out hunt them...

Awesome advice thank you. The spots I’ve mapped out are about 4-5 miles from the closest trailhead so I think that alone would deter some hunters right? I assume the next thing I should look into would be glassing areas

Just the out-of-shape ones that can't or won't afford horses; you'll still find plenty of in-shape and horse hunters. My advice would be to use the spots you've identified and assume those will be taken already. Use that assumption to narrow down where the animals will be pushed.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Just the out-of-shape ones that can't or won't afford horses; you'll still find plenty of in-shape and horse hunters. My advice would be to use the spots you've identified and assume those will be taken already. Use that assumption to narrow down where the animals will be pushed.
Yea that makes sense. So basically use the pressure as an advantage

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Depends, I've gotten 5 miles from a trailhead only to find a big string of horses picketed right where I had planned to camp. The distance will definitely weed out a lot of competition, but the competition that is back there with you will be the real dudes, and you'll have to work to out hunt them...

I guess if I find guys like that atleast I’ll know I’m in the right vicinity lol

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes. But even the best bump elk. Any time I see guys moving, I try to anticipate where bumped elk might try to slip away from them, and glass hard.

wthunter

FNG

You nailed it....I've learned this lesson the hard way.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
The scouting trip has officially began and to say I’m excited is an understatement. Rode in to Little Rock Arkansas at about 6:30 pm this evening and will be hitting the road for another 16 hours in the AM. I’m really hoping I learn a lot from this trip considering I’ve never been to Colorado. Wish me luck

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
Oh Crap! You're scouting this week? Dang man, I wish you'd have said something...I could have given you a heads up...the mountain is actually closed for maintenance this week! Dude, I hate it for you...maybe it'll work out next time.

Just messing with you man, have a blast, run out of breath, and take lots of pictures, every minute in the mountains adds to your soul.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Once you get the areas you want to go see on google maps you have to strap on a pack and put some dirt under your boots and get some glassing hours in. I run the BTX Eyepiece Module with the 95mm and spend about 4 to 8 hours a day on the glass looking.

When your out I like taking a note book with me and writing everything down such what time the wind switch's direction and how long after daylight it takes the elk to get into the trees. Make points on the map with water and wallows and were good elk sign spots are. Also mark good glassing knobs and good overnight camping spots if you get stuck into some elk until dark so you don't have to walk back out and don't blow your elk out by having a bad spot.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
Once you get the areas you want to go see on google maps you have to strap on a pack and put some dirt under your boots and get some glassing hours in. I run the BTX Eyepiece Module with the 95mm and spend about 4 to 8 hours a day on the glass looking.

When your out I like taking a note book with me and writing everything down such what time the wind switch's direction and how long after daylight it takes the elk to get into the trees. Make points on the map with water and wallows and were good elk sign spots are. Also mark good glassing knobs and good overnight camping spots if you get stuck into some elk until dark so you don't have to walk back out and don't blow your elk out by having a bad spot.
I like the idea of a notebook I’ll have to pick one up. All seems like great advice thank you

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
I just got done with my first good day of scouting and holy hell it nearly killed me. I came in through Marvine trail about 2 miles and attempted to cut straight over to rat mountain and that is some steep stuff. Am I just that inexperienced or did I just really find some nasty terrain?

Statements like "Nearly Killed Me" and "Nasty Terrain" make me think that you are on the right track. If within that nasty terrain there is sign with water and feed nearby then you may be in business.