Screwed Up My Rain Fly?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I went out to one of the lakes around here over the 4th of July to camp, hang out, and go boating. I took minimal gear with me but one of the items was my MSR Hubba Hubba. Temps were in the upper 90s during the day, and probably mid 50s during the night. Because of the warm temps and great weather, I didn't use my rain fly and it remained wrapped up in the stuff sack. Upon returning home, I set the tent up to let it air out and clean the sand out of it. Went to air out the rain fly and found out that it was stuck to itself fairly well. I am assuming that the high heat did something to break down/melt the waxy waterproof coating on the underside of the fly. I pulled the fly apart from itself and draped it over the tent overnight, but it still feels sticky.
Anyone ever experience this? Is it ruined or is there anything I can do fix it? I feel that if I go to use it on a hunt, every leaf and every single piece of grass in the woods will be stuck to the fly when I set up the tent!

blkqi

WKR
Get it wet and see if it leaks. Then dust it with talc before you stow it away.

I would bet that the waterproofing is at least somewhat compromised. I would probably contact Cascade Designs and see if they will replace it under warranty (I would do this regardless of what the warranty term is).

sneaky

"DADDY"
You sure there wasn't some residual sap on it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I would bet that the waterproofing is at least somewhat compromised. I would probably contact Cascade Designs and see if they will replace it under warranty (I would do this regardless of what the warranty term is).
I'll contact them and see. Its an older tent though...probably 8-10 years...so I may be S.O.L.

You sure there wasn't some residual sap on it?

Yeah. Its the entire inner side of the fly that is tacky to the touch.

It’s shot and would have happened around the same time regardless of the heat. PU coatings break down around 10 years, my favorite North Face tent has done the same unfortunately. There are some guys that claim to have luck re-coating with silicone and mineral spirits, not sure I trust it though.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
It’s likely a material defect that I think is caused outgassing. I had a Big Agnes tent that had the same problem on its own, sitting in a climate-controlled closet. Big Agnes gave me a new tent. Cascade Designs is a good company. I’d contact them and see if they’ll cover it under warranty.

Regards,
Scott

OP
TheHardWay

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
It’s likely a material defect that I think is caused outgassing. I had a Big Agnes tent that had the same problem on its own, sitting in a climate-controlled closet. Big Agnes gave me a new tent. Cascade Designs is a good company. I’d contact them and see if they’ll cover it under warranty.

Regards,
Scott

Sent them an email last night, waiting to see what they say.

FLAK

WKR
I have a Big Agnes that did the same thing.
I think it got too hot and then the coating started flaking off
later on.