Second rifle to buy after .300wsm

Uncmikel

FNG
I’ve already got a .300wsm that I use for elk hunting but want a second, lower recoil rifle for smaller game. It would also be a good option to teach my kids to shoot in a few years and they could hunt with it.

Is a 6.5 creed the best option, or is there something else to go with? I realize the 300wsm can do smaller game but ammo is just so hard to come by and frankly I just want another toy. Suggestions?

I got my 3 kids 7mm-08s when they started out but all 3 now shoot one of my 300 wsm's. The recoil doesn't seem to bother them when shooting at game. The 08s mostly sit in the safe during hunting season.

I got my 3 kids 7mm-08s when they started out but all 3 now shoot one of my 300 wsm's. The recoil doesn't seem to bother them when shooting at game. The 08s mostly sit in the safe during hunting season.
I’ve been looking at 7mm-08 also, but I unfortunately live in kalifornia and it’s near impossible to find most ammo. I don’t reload so I need something from the shelf. Have you had any trouble finding ammo?

6.5 Grendel is where I’d point you. My son and I both hunted with one this year in an AR platform and it performed remarkably well. Light recoil and did just fine.

I’ve been looking at 7mm-08 also, but I unfortunately live in kalifornia and it’s near impossible to find most ammo. I don’t reload so I need something from the shelf. Have you had any trouble finding ammo?
I live in Cali and literally have been going to buy a 7mm-08 rifle because that ammo has been readily available .
I would vote for 6 cm I love shooting mine and that’s also one I have found shat loads of ammo for off the shelf. Will be the kids rifle after graduating from .223

223. 6 ARC, 6 creed. More and your kids aren’t going to enjoy shooting it.
I do have a Tavor which shoots 5.56 and a .22 bolt action so they can definitely work up to the hunting rifle. At what age would you think a 6.5 creed wouldn’t be too much for a kiddo?

I live in Cali and literally have been going to buy a 7mm-08 rifle because that ammo has been readily available .
I would vote for 6 cm I love shooting mine and that’s also one I have found shat loads of ammo for off the shelf. Will be the kids rifle after graduating from .223
Interesting option. What’s the biggest game you’d shoot at with the 6 cm? I’d still want something I could take a pig or axis deer with. It wouldn’t be a pure kiddo rifle, I’m definitely selfish enough to get one too nice for a kid so that it will be my second rifle to fill in the blanks with.

6 creedmoor, 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 7-08 seem like the easy answers. 7-08 would be my preference

I would pick up whatever rifle your 300 wsm is chambered in and then there is no learning curve when they need the bigger gun. Hell even scope them the same if you can

6 creedmoor, 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 7-08 seem like the easy answers. 7-08 would be my preference

I would pick up whatever rifle your 300 wsm is chambered in and then there is no learning curve when they need the bigger gun. Hell even scope them the same if you can
I love the logic of that, but it’s less fun for me. Half the fun is researching and finding another great rifle. I’ve got a Christensen ridgeline 300wsm (love it!) and would prob get another similar price point or maybe a bit less for the smaller one.

I might simplify the scope a bit too and avoid the parallax dial. Just mount a Leupold with a Boone and Crockett reticle to take one more thing to think of out of the equation.

Interesting option. What’s the biggest game you’d shoot at with the 6 cm? I’d still want something I could take a pig or axis deer with. It wouldn’t be a pure kiddo rifle, I’m definitely selfish enough to get one too nice for a kid so that it will be my second rifle to fill in the blanks with.
Coyote is only thing I have shot, but I would have no problem using it on deer or pigs.
Mainly shoot it to get reps because it’s somewhat of a clone to my 300wm.
Look at the 6/6.5 game taken thread on here

I love the logic of that, but it’s less fun for me. Half the fun is researching and finding another great rifle. I’ve got a Christensen ridgeline 300wsm (love it!) and would prob get another similar price point or maybe a bit less for the smaller one.

I might simplify the scope a bit too and avoid the parallax dial. Just mount a Leupold with a Boone and Crockett reticle to take one more thing to think of out of the equation.
If you like the Christensen, I handled one of the fft’s a couple weeks ago and it was a super light, sweet handling set up. It would definitely fill the role you’re describing. Leupold vx3hd 2.5-8 or a Swaro 3-9x36 maintains the weight and balance.

6.5 creed is the perfect choice. perfect for deer and the like. aerodynamic, low recoil.

if you want to stick with 300 for hunting, then .223 would be a super choice as well. basically no recoil, tons of ammo out there.

I built my wife a 6.5 I shortly commandeered, shot a good bull at 465, deer, and speed goats. It’s pretty light with a 20” proof, break, hs stock and Winchester LA. Fun gun but I think we might both try some new ones for shits and giggles. I’ll revert back to my 270 if I can’t get the parts I want this year.

Back