Seek Outside Peregrine, one season later

RCB

WKR
Folks,

Follow-up review of the Seek Outside Peregrine, after some real use. Here's my first impressions post: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/seek-outside-peregrine-first-impressions.97688/

The backpack has since accompanied me on a three big game hunts, some multi-day backpacking trips, and many day hikes. I packed out a (small) mule deer buck with it, and half a cow elk (in two trips; my buddy carried the other half) - in both cases <2 miles and fairly easy terrain. It handled those weights superbly, though the loads were not exceptionally heavy.

On the whole, I am quite happy. The fit is great and comfortable, though I had to use the lumbar pad to get it just right; I like the waterproof bag; light weight; just enough organizational features to get the job done. It's my first "premium" backpack, so I can't compare its quality to the usual competitors. The only pack I can compare it to is my old North Face Terra 60 liter. The SO is a lot better: much stronger materials and frame for about the same weight (maybe less?), much better load-lifting support, much more adjustable, water proof. I thought I'd miss a lid, but I haven't even noticed. I did buy a hip belt pocket.

That being said, there were two durability problems that I should share:

1. The hip belt attaches to the frame via two straps that are bolted onto the frame, threaded through a set of grommets (probably aluminum?). One night when I was doing a stairs workout with a load of about 60 lbs, one of those straps broke at that connection point - basically, the threading around the grommet frayed and the strap separated from it. I emailed SO about this and within a few days a new hip belt arrived at my door at no charge. Great customer service, but it did concern me about durability. I did fiddle with those attachment points quite a bit when I was dialing in my fit, and it looked like I over-torqued it with my socket wrench and bent the grommet, which was probably the cause. SO said they had never seen that issue before. Still, wish it hadn't happened to me. This was prior to all my longer backpacking trips and hunting trips, and there has been no issue since. Long story short: don't over-torque those connections.

2. A strap goes over the top of the roll-up bag and connects to a loop on the back pocket. It's not essential to close the bag, but it compresses the top down a bit and makes everything snug. On one of my backpacking trips, the stitching on the loop broke when I was tightening down the straps. Fortunately there are multiple loops back there, so it was no problem. But it didn't inspire confidence. I used a needle and strong thread to sew the loop closed when I got home; no problem since.

So, with regard to durability, it seems that the potential weak points of the pack are at the connections. That's probably true for most bags, though perhaps some are more stout than others.

If you're wondering about frame strength, so far I've had no issues at all. Due to the U-shaped aluminum construction with cross bars attached by velcro, there is some flex if you push the bars *inward* at the top of the frame. Personally that doesn't concern me: not sure what real-world scenario would do that, and flex isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway.

With regard to feature design and organization, the pack is great. I have only one minor complaint. There is a water bladder attachment loop and hole at the top of the bag. This connection point is basically free floating - not near any frame attachment - so if there is nothing around the bladder to support it in the bag, it pulls down on the top of the bag a few inches. It's not really a problem, but it would have been nice to see that attachment point better thought-out. If you prefer not to use bladders, or to attach it to the outside, you'll have no problem.

On the whole, a great pack with a few early hiccups. I'll let the forum know if my assessment ever changes.

***2021 UPDATE***
Two years later and I have not had any problems. I still use the peregrine exclusively when hunting and backpacking. I’m happy with it and have no intention to replace it any time soon. It’s nice not to have to think about backpacks anymore

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
Thanks for that.

I probably would not have mentioned the hip belt strap issue, as it seems it was rather clearly caused by damage you did by taking a socket and a wrench to the grommets. This is not something that backpack engineers would design for nor anything we’d expect a design to withstand. Kinda like getting a new car, hitting a telephone pole with it on the way home, driving it around for a few months with the damage then saying, “The left front fender fell off my new car. It’s not durable.” It does not concern me.

The second issue indeed sounds problematic. It gives me pause, as I’m considering this pack (and its big brother, Lanner) vs Mystery Ranch Selway and Beartooth. You don’t ever hear about Mystery Ranch packs breaking.

How is the pack with a 4-day backpacking load? Enough room?

Last edited:
OP
R

RCB

WKR
Thanks for that.

I probably would not have mentioned the hip belt strap issue, as it seems it was rather clearly caused by damage you did by taking a socket and a wrench to the grommets. This is not something that backpack engineers would design for nor anything we’d expect a design to withstand. Kinda like getting a new car, hitting a telephone pole with it on the way home, driving it around for a few months with the damage then saying, “The left front fender fell off my new car. It’s not durable.” It does not concern me.

The second issue indeed sounds problematic. It gives me pause, as I’m considering this pack (and its big brother, Lanner) vs Mystery Ranch Selway and Beartooth. You don’t ever hear about Mystery Ranch packs breaking.

How is the pack with a 4-day backpacking load? Enough room?

Fair enough. I wasn’t exactly cranking the socket wrench but evidently I did enough to damage the grommet. Mind you, that connection point is meant to be fiddled with to change where the frame sits on the hips. And the only way I see to loosen it is with a wrench. So I wouldnt say I “crashed the car”. It’s more like I took the truck off-roading and got a bit too aggressive. :)

As for 4 days backpacking, depends on how heavy you pack, but overall I’d say no problem. For me, the only difference between 4 days and 2 days is 2 days of food, which is not that much space. I did a 4 day fishing trip in the Mt Zirkel wilderness in CO - comfortably fitted everything I wanted, but I don’t bring a bunch of extra stuff.

i wonder if using an acorn nut or stop of sorts would allow for tightening but not squashing the grommet. thanks for reporting!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Full disclosure on the grommet...I saw 2-3 of those failures during a short span last year. I suspect the hole was cut using an oversized die in the grommet setter. All belts were of course replaced under warranty.

I have absolute faith in that connection. We use a rolled rim with spur washer grommet which is the strongest made. It is connected to the frame with a machine screw and lock nut.

Before those few I'd never seen a grommet pull out, and haven't seen any since. This is over a large sample size of packs going back to our start in 2012. That same connection style has been used on external frames since the 1960's without issue, which is why we use it.

The loop pulling loose was probably caused by a seamstress not getting enough of the tag end under the needle. We'd be happy to reinforce that if you like.

I'm disappointed that you had two pretty rare issues on the same pack. I know how that can influence your opinion and trust.

If I can do anything, let me know.

Nathan

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Full disclosure on the grommet...I saw 2-3 of those failures during a short span last year. I suspect the hole was cut using an oversized die in the grommet setter. All belts were of course replaced under warranty.

I have absolute faith in that connection. We use a rolled rim with spur washer grommet which is the strongest made. It is connected to the frame with a machine screw and lock nut.

Before those few I'd never seen a grommet pull out, and haven't seen any since. This is over a large sample size of packs going back to our start in 2012. That same connection style has been used on external frames since the 1960's without issue, which is why we use it.

The loop pulling loose was probably caused by a seamstress not getting enough of the tag end under the needle. We'd be happy to reinforce that if you like.

I'm disappointed that you had two pretty rare issues on the same pack. I know how that can influence your opinion and trust.

If I can do anything, let me know.

Nathan
Nathan,
No worries. The pack has been perfect since resolving those issues.

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
I have thrown some similar trips on my Peregrine over the last year. Everything from shed trips and fishing trips to archery and late season elk. Throw in daily/weekly use of the Merlin Talon and I can say I've put some miles and scenarios on the this set-up.

My favorite feature is the yolk adjust-ability and frame stability. Light and thus far, totally bomb-proof.

I had initial concerns about the frame connection point you referenced originally due to prior experience with a similar grommet style attachment on an Alaskan Guide Frame. Add in my preference for where I prefer the bottom of the frame to sit on my hips, I ended up wrapping that attachment to gain another 1/2" of lift. I'm sure I could've asked to have an additional grommet installed, and may in the future. However, even with the wrap, I never experienced a failure at that point and I check regularly to look for signs of wear. I've been really pleased and confident in the quality.

Dvl_Doc

FNG
I think I’m going to go with the peregrine. Too much stress and mind changing between the Kifaru, SG, and Exo, so I’m going with my gut.

Folks,

Follow-up review of the Seek Outside Peregrine, after some real use. Here's my first impressions post: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/seek-outside-peregrine-first-impressions.97688/

The backpack has since accompanied me on a three big game hunts, some multi-day backpacking trips, and many day hikes. I packed out a (small) mule deer buck with it, and half a cow elk (in two trips; my buddy carried the other half) - in both cases <2 miles and fairly easy terrain. It handled those weights superbly, though the loads were not exceptionally heavy.

On the whole, I am quite happy. The fit is great and comfortable, though I had to use the lumbar pad to get it just right; I like the waterproof bag; light weight; just enough organizational features to get the job done. It's my first "premium" backpack, so I can't compare its quality to the usual competitors. The only pack I can compare it to is my old North Face Terra 60 liter. The SO is a lot better: much stronger materials and frame for about the same weight (maybe less?), much better load-lifting support, much more adjustable, water proof. I thought I'd miss a lid, but I haven't even noticed. I did buy a hip belt pocket.

That being said, there were two durability problems that I should share:

1. The hip belt attaches to the frame via two straps that are bolted onto the frame, threaded through a set of grommets (probably aluminum?). One night when I was doing a stairs workout with a load of about 60 lbs, one of those straps broke at that connection point - basically, the threading around the grommet frayed and the strap separated from it. I emailed SO about this and within a few days a new hip belt arrived at my door at no charge. Great customer service, but it did concern me about durability. I did fiddle with those attachment points quite a bit when I was dialing in my fit, and it looked like I over-torqued it with my socket wrench and bent the grommet, which was probably the cause. SO said they had never seen that issue before. Still, wish it hadn't happened to me. This was prior to all my longer backpacking trips and hunting trips, and there has been no issue since. Long story short: don't over-torque those connections.

2. A strap goes over the top of the roll-up bag and connects to a loop on the back pocket. It's not essential to close the bag, but it compresses the top down a bit and makes everything snug. On one of my backpacking trips, the stitching on the loop broke when I was tightening down the straps. Fortunately there are multiple loops back there, so it was no problem. But it didn't inspire confidence. I used a needle and strong thread to sew the loop closed when I got home; no problem since.

So, with regard to durability, it seems that the potential weak points of the pack are at the connections. That's probably true for most bags, though perhaps some are more stout than others.

If you're wondering about frame strength, so far I've had no issues at all. Due to the U-shaped aluminum construction with cross bars attached by velcro, there is some flex if you push the bars *inward* at the top of the frame. Personally that doesn't concern me: not sure what real-world scenario would do that, and flex isn't necessarily a bad thing anyway.

With regard to feature design and organization, the pack is great. I have only one minor complaint. There is a water bladder attachment loop and hole at the top of the bag. This connection point is basically free floating - not near any frame attachment - so if there is nothing around the bladder to support it in the bag, it pulls down on the top of the bag a few inches. It's not really a problem, but it would have been nice to see that attachment point better thought-out. If you prefer not to use bladders, or to attach it to the outside, you'll have no problem.

On the whole, a great pack with a few early hiccups. I'll let the forum know if my assessment ever changes.
I appreciate completely unbiased and honest reviews, and the audience can decide if your issues were user error since you were honest... gives a good baseline.

I had the peregrine for awhile, and it was a cool well designed pack, I miss it. My issue was not an issue with the pack, it was just a personal fit issue... really wanted it to work.

when I get around to making it to that state, if at all possible I want to stop by their facility and see if they can get it more comfortable on me, I just couldn’t get weight to ride well with it.

I would be happy if they were comfortable on me with a heavy load.

I have never considered putting meat in my bag, always been a meat shelf guy, but I think I would go with an integrated pack next time, I think I would like it with a big bag. I put one whole boned buck in my peregrine (tight fit) but I liked the simplicity. That x-pac cleans up super easy, and SO packs are a good candidate for putting meat in the bag... they make big bags that are still feather light that compress down to a streamlined day pack.

they really do make a nice pack

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Since this thread has come up again, thought I’d mention: haven’t had any issues since the original post. Happy with the pack, no intention to replace it, and it’s the only pack I hunt with.

KHNC

WKR
Im 7 years in with a UNAWEEP and 3 years in with a Peregrine. Both have packed out multiple elk and deer. Both are still in top condition. Even if KT doesnt like Texas decision to be mask free, i still like the guy. :)