Seek Outside- Why not?

KHNC

WKR
Is this true? I don't do social media, so I could be blind to this. My son has an SO pack and I really like it. It's different than my Kifaru, but I like it just as much. I would consider another in a second. Unless, of course, they are anit-2A and politically affiliated in a way that makes me not want to give them my money. If what Greenbelt said above is true, they won't get anymore of my business.
I read this comment and thought it sounded stupid. I went to instagram and scrolled thru over 2 years of posts and didnt see ONE SINGLE POST about anything political or 2A bashing. I would like to see s0me examples of SO doing any of this type thing. Kevin (owner) is an elk hunter and other employees hunt as well.

BBob

WKR
I read this comment and thought it sounded stupid. I went to instagram and scrolled thru over 2 years of posts and didnt see ONE SINGLE POST about anything political or 2A bashing. I would like to see s0me examples of SO doing any of this type thing. Kevin (owner) is an elk hunter and other employees hunt as well.
His political and 2A posts that are referenced were on Facebook. It was his personal account. Once the previously mentioned thread hit he closed the account therefore scrubbing it from the web. There are screenshots of the content before the account was closed. In short it was real, not a made up story :)

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
His political and 2A posts that are referenced were on Facebook. It was his personal account. Once the previously mentioned thread hit he closed the account therefore scrubbing it from the web. There are screenshots of the content before the account was closed. In short it was real, not a made up story :)
Ahh, that explains why i didnt see it. I only follow the SO page, not his personal stuff.

kravguy

WKR
Ahh, that explains why i didnt see it. I only follow the SO page, not his personal stuff.
There was a thread in the general section covering a lot of it. It might still be there unless the mods axed it. The dude also made some comments on a podcast or 2.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
There was a thread in the general section covering a lot of it. It might still be there unless the mods axed it. The dude also made some comments on a podcast or 2.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Post #35 of this thread has a link to the thread in question; a link that was posted by a moderator.

nutz

FNG
Why not?
- the current style of their pack is identical to the current fashion in ultralight hiker circles.
- You can't stand it up (traditional framed packs do stand up because the tubing forms a foot)
- Their their use of 3/4 inch webbing and gateway clips is non standard.
- Gateway clips are more difficult to do/undo than normal clips
- the seams of the pack are not sealed
- Hunting packs should have more pockets
- They make the packs out of bleeding edge fabrics and in the past have used loud fabrics
- Their logo which is the sun rising over a tent happens to also resemble an eye over a pyramid
- They take FOUR FRIGGIN WEEKS to ship
- They only operate 4 days a week
- Their customer service is unexceptional
Seek Elsewhere?

Now for "why":
- Great backpack design. Works well.
- The backpack frame is made from easily replaceable/ repairable parts (except for the gatekeepers)
- You can get morale patches that fit nicely over their logo

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I added a Revolution frame panel which converted my Divide setup from an integrated to a breakaway setup.

I'm bringing it (w/ a Goshawk 6300 bag) to the Brooks Range in a week.

I've probably got a 1000+ miles on the frame.

Personally I like the gatekeepers, lets you add/subtract straps easily and how many and where of your own choosing.

I will say that after using a Stone Glacier extensively and recently testing a Kifaru setup, that with heavy weight (70+) lbs- I give the nod first to Kifaru, second to SG and third to SO. Fortunately I'm only humping 70+ lbs once or twice a season :D

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not being argumentative, just giving my perspective. For the record, I like my Exo pack better.
Why not?
- the current style of their pack is identical to the current fashion in ultralight hiker circles.
🤷‍♂️
- You can't stand it up (traditional framed packs do stand up because the tubing forms a foot)
It stands as well as every othere pack I have used (Exo, Gregory, Osprey).
- Their their use of 3/4 inch webbing and gateway clips is non standard.
True, but easy to replace and get from SO.
- Gateway clips are more difficult to do/undo than normal clips
True, but I have not noticed this in any way that matters, and given the flexibility they provide I prefer them to side release buckles in many cases.
- the seams of the pack are not sealed
Easy to fix, I would rather not have something I can do add to the price of the pack.
- Hunting packs should have more pockets
Agree, but not many more.
- They make the packs out of bleeding edge fabrics and in the past have used loud fabrics
🤷‍♂️
- Their logo which is the sun rising over a tent happens to also resemble an eye over a pyramid
:LOL:, I cut logo patches off of almost everything, on my SO the stitch holes then got covered with seam sealer.
- They take FOUR FRIGGIN WEEKS to ship
Yeah, that is annoying, but they ship fast if in stock.
- They only operate 4 days a week
🤷‍♂️
- Their customer service is unexceptional
This is contrary to my experience.
Now for "why":
- Great backpack design. Works well.
I would say good design, but not sure I can call it great when compared to my Exo K4.
- The backpack frame is made from easily replaceable/ repairable parts (except for the gatekeepers)
This is nice.
- You can get morale patches that fit nicely over their logo
Just cut the thing off.

My own why not:
-can be tricky to get adjusted and comfortable.
-I don't like the 1 inch side release buckle on the hip belt and the double attachment to this causes the hip but to collapse on me as it is almost too big, but the smaller belt is without question too small for me.
-Odd loads can distort the frame and be uncomfortable.
-Wide base is annoying

Why
-Lightest pack that can comfortably haul 120 pounds.
-Large amount of flexibility both in fit and bag configuration.