SeekOutside Compare to Kifaru & Stone Glacier?

LJ Buck

WKR
I am particularly interested in how it handles heavier weights?

Has anyone been able to compare some of these frames?

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t give a comparison to kifaru, or SG, but I used to have a mystery ranch crew cab on a NICE frame with OV load lifters. It was comfortable and handled loads well. My seek outside peregrine is more comfortable, it’s very stable with the loads I’ve put in it, probably up to about 70lbs. so far. I’m sure it would handle more if I were up for it. It’s super light too and light as a feather.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Have an SO Saker, Kifaru Lite, and Bikini. The Kifaru’s are great frames. Very robust, easy to change frames. Love them for carrying heavy loads short distances. The belt slips despite the huge lumbar pad. Have read multiple threads/essays on the subject, and it appears to be due to the belt being an integral part of the frame. Comfortable, but given the slippage issues, have relegated mine to short distances. Pressure is confined to the lumbar pad area of lower back.

The SO does not slip, so it has become my heavy hauler for anything over a couple of hundred yards. It’s pressure despite the detachable lumbar pad is felt by me more on the gluteus medius insertion.

Because the lack of slippage I am able to raise the frame higher, cinch down the belt, and walk as long as I want. Have incorporated barbell pelvic thrusts and external rotations with a band around the ankles to strengthen the glute medius/pelvic girdle as a result.

If I was only going to buy one frame, it would be the SO because the belt slippage is an issue for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
I've had all 3 and SO is my favorite. It is the most comfortable under all loads for me. I've carried 20-80# with the SO and Kifaru. I carried up to 50# in the SG and it just didn't fit right for me. What I like about the SO over the Kifaru (Duplex Hunter and Bikini) was 1) more comfortable belt and overall carry. It's hard to explain but the SO kind of moves with you; 2) with the cross stays on the SO the frame didn't barrel when you crank it down. I think this issue was taken away with the new K frames out now though; 3) significantly lighter - while this isn't a huge deal to me, because the SO carries equally as well as the K adn SG (and actually better on my back) the weight savings is a factor. I typically use mine on a few hunts a year so I'm not a heavy user by any means, but the SO quality is top notch so I see no reason to think it won't last many many years.

I’ve tried SG, SO and Kuiu

For my back and build, there’s no way I’d run anything other than an SG. The SO, while comfortable at lower weights, for me started getting uncomfortable around 30lbs. While that’ll get me through a day hunt, for backcountry overnight+ I’m about 15lbs higher all up(more depending on days and season). I tried everything - lumbar pad, different stay lengths, the hip belt attachment, I just couldn’t make the SO carry weight like my SG.

My SG on the other hand - the weight disappears on my back. I’ve had it up to 80-100lbs and while yes, my legs are aware that I’m much heavier than normal, my back and shoulders are none-the-wiser.

Not a knock on SO, it seemed like a quality pack... just didn’t work for me.

brsnow

WKR
It took me a journey and $$$, glad i finally found SO. Love the revolution frame. 4lb with peregrine and sub 4 with Merlin. Carries weight great, but also hunts great. Also very versatile to fit and great customer service.

tdot

WKR
Currently still testing the SO, bit so far very happy. I've had it loaded up to 110pounds and it was atleast on par, if not better then my Kifaru Duplex at that weight. It's a significantly more comfortable day pack frame for me. Still working in the final tweaks before I make a final judgement though.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
If your belt is slipping it is likely because it is too big or too small. If not sized correctly there won’t be adequate tension in place at the buckle to keep it in place.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve tried SG, SO and Kuiu

For my back and build, there’s no way I’d run anything other than an SG. The SO, while comfortable at lower weights, for me started getting uncomfortable around 30lbs. While that’ll get me through a day hunt, for backcountry overnight+ I’m about 15lbs higher all up(more depending on days and season). I tried everything - lumbar pad, different stay lengths, the hip belt attachment, I just couldn’t make the SO carry weight like my SG.

My SG on the other hand - the weight disappears on my back. I’ve had it up to 80-100lbs and while yes, my legs are aware that I’m much heavier than normal, my back and shoulders are none-the-wiser.

Not a knock on SO, it seemed like a quality pack... just didn’t work for me.

Odd .. if there was one other pack where I thought if it worked well for you we (seem outside ) would likely work well it would be a SG Xcurve ... there are some similarities in core concepts . Was it the Xcurve or the Crux that worked better ? The crux I could see as it is just a different profile

Mudd Foot

WKR
If your belt is slipping it is likely because it is too big or too small. If not sized correctly there won’t be adequate tension in place at the buckle to keep it in place.

Sorry, but the belt is sized correctly. For technical treatises on the subject, you can find Bedrock and Paradox (Dave Chenault) or McHale Packs.

skierhs

WKR
I have tried both SO and kifaru. I prefer the kifaru much better. The way it carries weight and the quality of the waist belt are two big things that won me over. You have to make sure you have the proper lumbar pad though otherwise you will run into the issues mentioned above. I have personally seen that make a huge difference. Another big perk is that I love bag selection from kifaru. I’m not saying the others don’t make bag options but what I am saying is that the options provided by kifaru bear out the options provided by SO and exo.

skierhs

WKR
Sorry, but the belt is sized correctly. For technical treatises on the subject, you can find Bedrock and Paradox (Dave Chenault) or McHale Packs.

I think he may be referencing the lumbar pad and not the belt diameter. If that’s the case then the lumbar pad does intact have an affect and may solve the issue from what I’ve experienced and seen.

Tradchef

WKR
I haven’t tried Seek but I’ve had SG and currently run Kifaru. SG was awesome and hauled weight really well and was really comfy. i just had a problem with my head hitting the frame. ive got a short torso so the smaller 24” I have on the kifaru fits a lot better. However......loaded down with meat....the 26” is pretty sweet. i have the kifaru lite frame and while I feel the SG was a little more comfortable to me the Kifaru fits better overall. It’s hauls meat very well and stays put on my back. Honestly.....I feel like it’s splitting hairs on all of them. It’s just what feels the best to you. I’ve heard nothing but good things about SO

Odd .. if there was one other pack where I thought if it worked well for you we (seem outside ) would likely work well it would be a SG Xcurve ... there are some similarities in core concepts . Was it the Xcurve or the Crux that worked better ? The crux I could see as it is just a different profile

Its the older Crux

I love the design of the Saker honestly - if I could have it my way I would have the Crux frame and Saker pack on it. I considered having the bag modified for the SG frame but at the end of the day I didn't know how well it was going to work out.

brsnow

WKR
Nice thing about SO is I hunt with 24” and add the 2” extension when packing weight.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone's got a SO lumbar pad they don't use I'm definitely in the market. I'm a little surprised one didn't come standard. I'm still trying to get the fit of my revolution frame dialed out.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its the older Crux

I love the design of the Saker honestly - if I could have it my way I would have the Crux frame and Saker pack on it. I considered having the bag modified for the SG frame but at the end of the day I didn't know how well it was going to work out.
Ahh Flat back I take it and in that case yes I could see the Crux working better. We did do some flat back frames early on .. but honestly it was so rarely needed we stopped.

I started with Kifaru and ended up a few years later with a SO 6300 fortress. I only ran either up to 70lb or so, and they both performed great. I don't think any of those 3 is "better" than another. It's more a question of what features are more important to you and which one feels more comfortable.