Selling firearms on GunBroker questions

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I searched here and couldn't find any answers here, but figure some of you sell on GB. I could use some help with selling on GunBroker, want to thin the herd a bit and start with a very rare, collectible pistol and it seems they sell well there. Debating whether to consign it with an established FFL GB seller, or do it myself. Consignment will cost 15% or more + shipping to them, and honestly, not sure I want to send this to someone I don't know personally. I also don't really get much say in how it's sold other than specify a BIN price and perhaps a reserve price. I have to balance that with the trouble of selling myself (I can take quality pictures and put an ad together).

My concerns are these:
- How do I accept a credit card payment? Recommendations on payment gateway for a revolver pistol sale?
- How do I ensure I'm not breaking any rules (ie not sure if it's legal to sell this to a buyer in CA)? Of course I'd only ship to an FFL so the buyer can do the transfer.
- Anything else to watch out for, or recommendations?

All recommendations and advice appreciated! Thank you!

kpk

WKR
USPS money order might be the safest method of payment anymore to avoid breaking unforeseen "rules".

Handguns have to be shipped from FFL to FFL. (EDIT - looks like I was wrong on this) They might charge a ridiculous fee to do it for you, and they might require next day. I looked into selling one but after fees it wasn't worth it for what I was selling. Long guns have been pretty easy for me.

Curious what you're selling... you can PM me

Last edited:

mi650

WKR
USPS money order might be the safest method of payment anymore to avoid breaking unforeseen "rules".

Handguns have to be shipped from FFL to FFL. They might charge a ridiculous fee to do it for you, and they might require next day. I looked into selling one but after fees it wasn't worth it for what I was selling. Long guns have been pretty easy for me.

Curious what you're selling... you can PM me
No, they don't. Some FFLs have that policy, but there's no law or ATF regulation that says that.

IME, using an FFL to ship for me, especially handguns, is cheaper because they can use USPS, where UPS and FedEx policies require next day air for non-FFLs to ship handguns. Long guns can be shipped ground.

kpk

WKR
No, they don't. Some FFLs have that policy, but there's no law or ATF regulation that says that.

IME, using an FFL to ship for me, especially handguns, is cheaper because they can use USPS, where UPS and FedEx policies require next day air for non-FFLs to ship handguns. Long guns can be shipped ground.

From what I read when I was looking...USPS will only ship handguns FFL to FFL. FedEX no longer ships anything from a non-FFL. (Which sucks - they were awesome to deal with for me. UPS basically threatened to call the cops when I showed up with a packaged barrel).

It does look like you can ship handguns overnight through UPS (make sure the FFL you ship handgun to will receive from a non-FFl). Also looks like shipmygun.com has gotten pretty popular. It's run by Buds so I'd use them with confidence.

mi650

WKR
From what I read when I was looking...USPS will only ship handguns FFL to FFL. FedEX no longer ships anything from a non-FFL. (Which sucks - they were awesome to deal with for me. UPS basically threatened to call the cops when I showed up with a packaged barrel).

It does look like you can ship handguns overnight through UPS (make sure the FFL you ship handgun to will receive from a non-FFl). Also looks like shipmygun.com has gotten pretty popular. It's run by Buds so I'd use them with confidence.
I forgot about FedEx. You're right. And you can only ship at a UPS hub or hand it to a driver. UPS Stores or drop-off locations are a no-go. Sometimes it depends on who you get at UPS. Not all know the policies, or follow them. I had an issue shipping a barrel once, too. She asked what I was shipping, then asked if it was going to an FFL. The 2nd time she asked, I just said yes. Easier than arguing about it.

All that said, it's generally cheaper, easier, and less hassle to ship thru an FFL.

OP
J

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Good discussion on shipping, lots of nuances to consider. I appreciate the tip on SMG, looks like that's the easiest way to ship IF the receiving FFL is listed on their website.

Any advice on receiving a credit card payment? Looks like a payment gateway needs to be set up...and there are a lot of choices. Since I don't have a history on GunBroker, not sure how reasonable it is to expect a buyer to mail me a USPS money order for a big purchase. Of course if they want to, I'd do a deal that way but don't want to limit my audience due to lack of credit card option, even if it costs a little money to set up.