September Colorado elk

Zcarlon

FNG
This will be our first year hunting Colorado elk in September. We will be going around pagosa springs 3rd week in September. I'm curious what to expect as far as weather conditions. Temperatures, precipitation? Any help or advice wou

Ac338

WKR
Use google and look up temp history for the area your hunting and look at the dates around your trip. It varies by area so it's hard for someone here to give you a solid answer.

KyleR1985

WKR
Average temperature range of 35-75*, with an average of 2" of precipitation during the month.

No one here can predict the future, so this information probably won't be helpful, nor will anyone's responses. Go hunt and learn some stuff!

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Been there the last three years that week and have had anywhere from 90-100 and dry and 30-60’s wet just denends on the year. The only thing you can truly count on is mad pressure...but that’s usually the case in any OTC Archery Hunt. Good luck!

eltaco

WKR
The most useful information I can give you is to pack and plan for freezing blizzard to 90F blue sky days. You’ll likely encounter one or the other, and maybe both in the same day.

Typical September mornings are right near freezing with daytime highs being warm enough that I rest in the shade... but I’ve had plenty of encounters huddled up under a tree during a torrential downpour or hoping my tent will still be standing come morning during a blizzard.

There’s really no telling what to expect, except to say expect the unexpected.

Clrems77

WKR
This will be our first year hunting Colorado elk in September. We will be going around pagosa springs 3rd week in September. I'm curious what to expect as far as weather conditions. Temperatures, precipitation? Any help or advice wou

I WAS JUST NEXT DOOR IN DURANGO THIS PAST WEEK. TEMPS WERE MODERATE 60'S AND COOL, BUT AS OTHER HAVE MENTIONED THERE WERE MULTIPLE STORMS WHICH ROLLED THROUGH. FOR THREE DAYS WE HAD CLOUDY SKIES WITH RAIN IN THE MORNING AND OVERNIGHT WITH SUNSHINE MID DAY. THUNDERSTORMS WITH LIGHTNING STRIKES EACH DAY. I BELIEVE ITS THEIR MONSOON SEASON RIGHT NOW AND FRIENDS SAY IT USUALLY LASTS UNTIL ROUGHLY MID AUGUST.

currently gearing up for the same time of year and its easy to go down the wormhole looking at gear trying to figure out exactly what you need for all weather!