Setting up a LR-X muzzleloader to be Colorado Elk legal.

I have a Colorado Muzzleloader elk and bear tag for 2023, I recently bought the CVA Accura Lr-X, wanting some clarification on the easiest and best way to set it up to be Colorado legal? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Iron sights and full-bore bullets. I like a rail mounted peep like the EABCO Peep Rib with a Williams Western Precision fiber optic front bead. Use a scope for load development then take it off and use the peep to hunt. As for bullets, I think the Thor 290 gr bullets are a great choice.

OP
BigRob1776
Iron sights and full-bore bullets. I like a rail mounted peep like the EABCO Peep Rib with a Williams Western Precision fiber optic front bead. Use a scope for load development then take it off and use the peep to hunt. As for bullets, I think the Thor 290 gr bullets are a great choice.
Thanks for the info, I will put it to good use.

Stalker69

WKR
I know this is not what you asked, but this is what I would do. Sell it and buy one of these

Attachments

• 20191223-140741_orig.jpg
    20191223-140741_orig.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20191223-140741_orig.jpg
    20191223-140741_orig.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 41
One other thing to add - only loose powder is allowed in Colorado, so no pyrodex pellets. Good luck on your hunt.

I have one and use powerbelt ELRs and 110gr of blackhorn 209 powder. Sites are Williams western precision

Glimmerman151

FNG
Classified Approved
When you use loose powder like Blackhorn, use a digital scale to weigh your powder. It's eye opening how much varience there is trying to do it by volume. Definitely reduced my groups when i realized this and got serious about load development.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
easy, blackhorn powder 77gr by volume, 300 gr thor, winchester 209
I couldn't agree more with this. I have shot muzzy in CO for 15+ years and tried about every combo there is. Get you some Thor bore specific bullets that fit your muzzleloader barrel. They send a sample pack with various sizes and instructions. Combo that with Blackhorn powder and you are money. Since you are shooting open sights you will be accurate far beyond where your open sights will allow you to shoot. I have an old cheap CVA Optima that I put a scope on for NM, when that was still legal. Blackhorn powder 100 grain by volume and Thor Hammer bullets I can group4 shots inside a 4" diameter circle at 300 yards. I have high powered rifles that don't shoot that well.

Nwaneal

FNG
I’ve got the same muzzy for CO this year. Im getting 1” groups at 100yds with the Thor 300gr, 80gr blackhorn by weight, not volume.

My groups are a bit wider with the open sights :).

I couldn't agree more with this. I have shot muzzy in CO for 15+ years and tried about every combo there is. Get you some Thor bore specific bullets that fit your muzzleloader barrel. They send a sample pack with various sizes and instructions. Combo that with Blackhorn powder and you are money. Since you are shooting open sights you will be accurate far beyond where your open sights will allow you to shoot. I have an old cheap CVA Optima that I put a scope on for NM, when that was still legal. Blackhorn powder 100 grain by volume and Thor Hammer bullets I can group4 shots inside a 4" diameter circle at 300 yards. I have high powered rifles that don't shoot that well.

i drew a new mexico muzzy tag this year, with no scopes this year,i have been shooting a lot to try and get the most out of my mr x cva shoots pretty good out to 200 with ebaco rail and western precision post,i don,t know if i can get more range say 250 yrds i weigh every load 77 gr,thor 300 gr but new mexico does allow sabots what is your range without a scope.also i am only shooting off sticks now.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a Colorado Muzzleloader elk and bear tag for 2023, I recently bought the CVA Accura Lr-X, wanting some clarification on the easiest and best way to set it up to be Colorado legal? any info would be greatly appreciated.
In Colorado you will have to use iron sights and bore size bullets in 50 caliber. I like 77 grains by weight with a bore size ELR by PowerBelt. I would start with bullets under 300 grains. Good luck