sewing machine

OP
M
finally getting back to the sewing machine idea. have a meeting with a gentleman who runs a repair center and has some machines for sale. will take all of my rokslide notes and pick his brain. thanks to all

boom

WKR
very nice!

just this weekend..i had to use my ham fist method to hand hem up my attack pants. i youtubed the methods and stitch and just went for it. i dont have dainty hands, and the results are "okay". i will hit the hem with a machine soon. i also have short legs. bummer.

OP
M
guy has a nice singer. does one stitch only. metal gears, nice looking case as new, even has the original owners manual. he went over the whole machine and oiled it. only thing am leery of is, the thing was built in 1957 only 7 years my junior. he gave a demo using two pieces of belt thick leather and it just purred along. have seen some nice looking 57 chevies too so may give it a shot

Stid2677

WKR
guy has a nice singer. does one stitch only. metal gears, nice looking case as new, even has the original owners manual. he went over the whole machine and oiled it. only thing am leery of is, the thing was built in 1957 only 7 years my junior. he gave a demo using two pieces of belt thick leather and it just purred along. have seen some nice looking 57 chevies too so may give it a shot

These old Singers are sought after by us DIY folks because they last forever and will power through more layers than the new machines. They are built with steel gears and parts and many were used in schools to teach sewing to kids, (you know how kids are on stuff). Parts are readily available on ebay and other sites. If the price is right I would get it and do like I did and buy a cheap new machine for other stitch work.

P2130432_zpsc21fcb58.jpg

P2130433_zps1cbcfcd2.jpg

boom

WKR
^^ that is the exact singer my neighbor has! it didnt work on my pants. there was some clutch slipping or something. she took it in to get tuned up.

what was amazing to me was how bad my eyes have gotten. threading that needle was next to impossible for me with that weak incandescent bulb. if i find one..iwill mod the light with some lazer. hehe

OP
M
thats it . looks like the same model. under a lot of stress right now been dealing with india to get new router working as old one took a dump. will see if model number is in the instruction book later

OP
M
Found lots of help on this forum. Ended up buying a 1957 model 301 singer from local repair shop. Thing runs really well and looks brand new. Was kind of pricey I thought for something 7 years my junior but am happy. Have just ordered some 1000d from ebay for first project. A case for my carbon fiber tripod.

Stid2677

WKR
Just a tip for new folks, since it took me a while to figure out. Cordora is best sewn with nylon thread or upholstery thread.

Stid2677

WKR

The average polyester and cotton thread sold is too weak to hold up to multiple layers of cordora and will break and birdnest, at least that was my experience.

Soon as I switched over to upholstery thread all went smooth. I also did some reading and this is what I discovered was needed. Many recommend #69 bonded nylon, but I could not find that locally.

Last edited:
The average polyester and cotton thread sold is too weak to hold up to multiple layers of cordora and will break and birdnest, at least that was my experience.

Soon as I switched over to upholstery thread all went smooth. I also did some reading and this is what I discovered was needed. Many recommend #69 bonded nylon, but I could not find that locally.
This upholstery thread is what I run on my old Remington machine: Coats & Clark Extra Strong & Upholstery Thread 150 yd But I run it on a #16 needle. They recommend a #18, but it seems to run fine w/ a #16 and the smaller the needle the easier it is to punch through many layers of heavy material. Many times that means 3 layers of 1" nylon webbing.

On my general purpose White machine, I run a polyester UV & Weather resistant thread called Coats Outdoor Living Thread. It's what I use for most of my sewing. I know it's a little more expensive than std Dual Duty XP, but it could be worth it in the end.

My Serger is loaded up with a high grade polyester called Seracor
This is what I use when making meat & game bags, mainly for sealing the seams, and I also run a stitch of the Outdoor Living thread just outside as the main strength stitch.

Haven't done any Silnylon projects yet, so am curious what thread you guys are running for that. I was wondering if I could use my standard Outdoor Living Thread or... if I should switch the machine over to a finer thread like Coats Dual Duty XP Fine?
What are you using for Silnylon?
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

jmsdad

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up this vintage Japan made Kemore sewing machine with cabinet over the weekend for $20 off craigslist. My wife has a newer machine that cannot go thru thicker material and this one can. These older machines are built to last---all metal gears and cast housing. This one needed just a bit of lube and I have 2 extra belts on order as the current one is on its last legs. This sewing machine can go thru 16 layers of denim, plenty for what I'll be using it for.

Like some of you, I need to have my pants shorten and hemmed too. Good thing that 7th grade Home Ec/Sewing class has come in handy after all these years.

MtnManZ

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up this vintage Japade Kemore sewing machine with cabinet over the weekend for $20 off craigslist. My wife has a newer machine that cannot go thru thicker material and this one can. These older machines are built to last---all metal gears and cast housing. This one needed just a bit of lube and I have 2 extra belts on order as the current one is on its last legs. This sewing machine can go thru 16 layers of denim, plenty for what I'll be using it for.

Like some of you, I need to have my pants shorten and hemmed too. Good thing that 7th grade Home Ec/Sewing class has come in handy after all these years.

That looks a lot like the kenmore I just picked up this weekend (model 158.16012). Great buy for $30. Much stronger than the wife's newer plastic machine...like others have already said. Goes through multiple layers of webbing and cordura. I used the upholstery thread that Hunt'nFish mentioned...with a size 16 needle. Figuring the tension out was the trickiest part....but after a handful of tries, I got it down. I've made a camp bag and belt pouch so far. I'm well pleased with this DIY experience.

Well, I though I'd found a jewel the other day, a Brother Pacesetter.
227885d1310860800-attachment-227879.jpe

Been looking for a heavy duty, all metal machine w/ zig-zag and here it was. It was all seized up and didn't run. But a little LPS1 on all the bearings and I had it working smoothly in no time. Only problem... the gear on the selector switch for the stitch mode is plastic and was broken, so all it could only do is a straight stitch. Obviously no parts avail today, short of a parts machine...oh well, so I returned it and my search continues.

I did find an 80's era Singer w/ a locking reverse button, zig-zag, w/ a free arm. It was seized up as well, so a little LPS an got it working like a champ. Lots of plastic parts in this one. However, I'm going to load this one up with thin dia nylon for delicate silnylon work, so no big deal.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited: