Sewing Your Own Gear

rclouse79

WKR
I am running through all of the scenarios in my head for a 12 man tipi. I would like to find some heavier weight silnylon than the 1.1 oz, because I will not be using it for backpacking. I had trouble finding the 40d material online that is used for the seek outside stuff. I found 1.9 oz, but it did not look like it was silnylon and probably wouldn't be as waterproof. I saw you can get 1.6 oz silpoly, but it doesn't seem to be as strong, and with less stretch is more likely to separate at the seams.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
By ripstop bags do you mean like the kifaru pullouts?

Yes, and stuff sacks, and roll top dry bags, and stuff like the kuiu extreema and taku bags.

I got tired you junk mitts for ?100 so I made these. Used an old oilskin jacket and some leather. Made a fleece and shearling liner.
The machine has no issues with the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's badass

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I am running through all of the scenarios in my head for a 12 man tipi. I would like to find some heavier weight silnylon than the 1.1 oz, because I will not be using it for backpacking. I had trouble finding the 40d material online that is used for the seek outside stuff. I found 1.9 oz, but it did not look like it was silnylon and probably wouldn't be as waterproof. I saw you can get 1.6 oz silpoly, but it doesn't seem to be as strong, and with less stretch is more likely to separate at the seams.

I made a bivy from 1.9 ounce pu coated silnylon (probably from RSBTR) and it has been pretty waterproof. I was looking at maybe doing a tipi as well.

WoodBow

WKR
1.9 oz pu coated ripstop nylon should be great for you. I made my 8 man out of 1.3 oz.

Silnylon gets talked about a lot. I have used it and im not a fan. Typically more expensive and quite a pain to work with by comparison. PU coated ripstop is where its at in my opinion and experience.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
ce4c1393dad6c49572e862186e3e07b9.jpg

ae11d506d33ca82c07af452dd381153d.jpg

I got tired you junk mitts for ?100 so I made these. Used an old oilskin jacket and some leather. Made a fleece and shearling liner.
The machine has no issues with the leather.

That's awesome how did you make plans so it would fit?

WoodBow

WKR
Im pretty sure the green pepper has plan for mittens similar to those.

tsm213

FNG
Im pretty sure the green pepper has plan for mittens similar to those.

Is that a sewing pattern company?
The only difficulty was getting the thumb correct.

WoodBow

WKR
Is that a sewing pattern company?
The only difficulty was getting the thumb correct.

Yes. They jhave some decent plans very affordably priced. I looked and they do have similar mittens but not as cool as yours. The thumb placement is more generic. Yours look awesome.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
rclouse79 - In response to your questions/comments on silnylon vs silpoly... Silnylon stretches, especially after it gets wet. A dry tent which is pitched nice and tight will be slack and sagging after it gets rained on. With silnylon shelters you need to use catenary curve cuts along straight edges to get a taught pitch. It is also a bit difficult to sew because you should hold the material under tension as you are sewing it. It does have some advantages over silpoly when compared on a specification sheet.

Silpoly on the other hand does not stretch nearly as much as silnylon and it also won't sag when it gets wet. You can use straight edges and still get a taught pitch with a tent/tarp. In my experience it is also easier to sew. The slight disadvantage in specifications is made up with ease of construction. Both materials are fairly cheap, it would be worth it to buy a yard of each from rsbtr and play around with them.

rclouse79

WKR
rclouse79 - In response to your questions/comments on silnylon vs silpoly... Silnylon stretches, especially after it gets wet. A dry tent which is pitched nice and tight will be slack and sagging after it gets rained on. With silnylon shelters you need to use catenary curve cuts along straight edges to get a taught pitch. It is also a bit difficult to sew because you should hold the material under tension as you are sewing it. It does have some advantages over silpoly when compared on a specification sheet.

Silpoly on the other hand does not stretch nearly as much as silnylon and it also won't sag when it gets wet. You can use straight edges and still get a taught pitch with a tent/tarp. In my experience it is also easier to sew. The slight disadvantage in specifications is made up with ease of construction. Both materials are fairly cheap, it would be worth it to buy a yard of each from rsbtr and play around with them.
Would the 1.9 pu coated ripstop nylon fall somewhere between Silnylon and Silpoly? I assume it would be stronger, but would still have some stretch being nylon.

sneaky

"DADDY"
SeekOutside uses 30D, not 40D.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
This is 1.3 oz pu nylon. Its a palace for 3 guys. 4 guys and gear is not a problem. Beauty of a tipi is if you do get any sag when it rains, you just raise the pole and it takes almost all of it out. But be warned, if you leave it like that and it gets sunny, that baby will be stretched tight as a drum. Hasnt caused a problem but it makes me nervous.
1800c6e1ca0e15879b6121fe21471dcb.jpg

NoWiser

WKR
Anyone else use a Janome HD3000? I picked one up about a year ago when eBay had a big sale. I haven't gotten as much use out of it as I'd like, but the little I've used it I've been pretty impressed. I've got a few sewing projects I'd like to get done before hunting season so hopefully I get a bit more time with it soon as I wrap up other projects around the house.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is 1.3 oz pu nylon. Its a palace for 3 guys. 4 guys and gear is not a problem. Beauty of a tipi is if you do get any sag when it rains, you just raise the pole and it takes almost all of it out. But be warned, if you leave it like that and it gets sunny, that baby will be stretched tight as a drum. Hasnt caused a problem but it makes me nervous.
1800c6e1ca0e15879b6121fe21471dcb.jpg

I've read about several guys having their tipi pole get snapped because of that. They tightened it up and left for the day. Didn't end well. If you know it's going to warm up you're better off leaving the pole where it is and just letting it dry out on its own.

WoodBow

WKR
I've read about several guys having their tipi pole get snapped because of that. They tightened it up and left for the day. Didn't end well. If you know it's going to warm up you're better off leaving the pole where it is and just letting it dry out on its own.

Yea it will bow my aluminum pole. Im referring to adjusting it while you are in the shelter. And then it gets sunny after you leave it. Then i would recommend you drop the pole a notch or two in preparation upon departing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yea it will bow my aluminum pole. Im referring to adjusting it while you are in the shelter. And then it gets sunny after you leave it. Then i would recommend you drop the pole a notch or two in preparation upon departing.

That's exactly what I was saying. They raised their pole when they woke up and left. Bad idea with a carbon center pole.