Shelters

I think itll be the last money I spend for a little while now... Think the ol' pack and supertarp/annex is all decked out and ready to go. Now on to the next set of purchases! fml

cmeier117

WKR
It is a disease, we need a support group :). Angie knows me way too well now!

I called the other day and Alisha knew it was me from my voice practically. It is sad and the support group needs to "support" the buying of more Kifaru gear. Haha!

Yea I developed the disease awhile back and it never seems to get better. i think there is no cure from what I have heard

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yea I developed the disease awhile back and it never seems to get better. i think there is no cure from what I have heard

I think folks afflicted with above disease trying to help other folks would be like the blind leading the blind. :D Too much good stuff in one place :D

dotman

WKR

I can remember way back when you warned me on AT, when i was still on the fence before my first purchase.

Well for a big base tent I have a golite SL8 that does my ATV/Boat based trips with plenty of room for my family of 5. Then the SL5 that I took to the Brooks Range for sheep last year. It did great and kept us dry and comfy for 8 days. I also have a Nallo 4 GT which is perfect for me and my oldest 2 boys (8 and 10) and for use as a base camp tent on fly in hunts where I will leave it for extended periods and need to be reasonably confident it will hold up to weather changes. Next up is the SL3 which is my solo shelter. I also have a pair of Sl1 "pup tents" that I toss in as a SHTF emergency shelter occasionally for day trips though neither has left the garage since the SL3 was added. I had bear paw designs build me a nest that will work with either the SL3 or SL5 for soggy or buggy trips, good option and lighter than the golite nests. I also have a couple TiGoat bivi's that work well and provide a little more warmth and protection from the elements.

I still need a dedicated cold weather tent and will probably turn to Alaska Tent and Tarp for that one but it is a heavy sucker!! A sawtooth would be nice too with the stove...

Wow, what a list... No wonder the wife gives me the evil eye whenever I mention the word tent... or rifle... or sleeping bag... or...

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Wow, what a list... No wonder the wife gives me the evil eye whenever I mention the word tent... or rifle... or sleeping bag... or...

A lot of those tents look very similar to what I have, no wonder your wife gives me the evil eye when I even stop by anymore. :D

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
I want a sawtooth with netting and liner, and a medium stove bad!

Last edited:

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Currently using a Tarptent Moment, but a partner has raised concerns under how it will hold up to tough weather (heavy rain, snow, etc..).

Do you guys think your setups will allow you to hunt in 3.5/4 seasons? Keep knocking the snow off every morning?

With the optional crossing pole the Moment will actually hold up to snow pretty well. I've never used mine in heavy snow, but a guy over at BPL has posted some pics of his in pretty good snow. It's obviously not a 4 season tent, but should work into the shoulders for the most part.

I'll be using the Moment for warmer weather solo stuff and a Paratipi/TiGoat stove combo for colder weather and multi-person hunts (and for backpacking with my daughter). I also have my eye on roughly 100 other shelters that I'm pretty sure I need.

Last edited:
Well guys , I'm the proud new owner of a new to me Kifaru 8 man, liner, netting, and large stove. Can't wait to put it to use. The only thing I'm not sure about are the durapegs. Have you guys had success with them or are you using something else?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC00685.jpg

Here's a photo of the 8 man from a couple days ago. I bet you'll love it!

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats Grouper. The Kifaru tipi is a game changer for sure. Ditto the durapeg and msr groundhog comment. Both work well. The durapegs will break over time but are relatively tough and cheap. Those large ten inch nails work well for car camping situations when the ground is frozen (hammer them in too far and they may be difficult to remove).

Enjoy your new 8-man mobile ritz carlton!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, we were shed hunting Rick, but we didn't find a dang thing!

We did get that T3 video finished and a few others as well. Justin and I have been testing sleeping bags for a while too and the temp that night was perfect for the bags we brought along.