Shelters

With the optional crossing pole the Moment will actually hold up to snow pretty well. I've never used mine in heavy snow, but a guy over at BPL has posted some pics of his in pretty good snow. It's obviously not a 4 season tent, but should work into the shoulders for the most part.

I'll be using the Moment for warmer weather solo stuff and a Paratipi/TiGoat stove combo for colder weather and multi-person hunts (and for backpacking with my daughter). I also have my eye on roughly 100 other shelters that I'm pretty sure I need.

Thanks for the info. I always bring that crossing pole along to provide more stability anyways so it's good to hear that it could take a little snow.

Golite shangri-la 5. very light 33 oz, and lots of room for 2 plus gear. even thinking about putting a stove jack in it.

wyelkhunter and I are thinking exactly alike. I'm liking the looks of this tent and thinking that one of Ed Ts (http://www.edtsbackcountry.com/#!) 12 or 16 inch stoves would be a pretty sweet setup for the backcountry from September to November.

Thanks for the info on the pegs guys, I use the ground hogs with my huba huba, I think I'll get a set for the tipi. I can't wait to get to the woods. We're heading out for a horseback shed hunt next month. Found a great buy on the tipi from a guy that was upgrading to a larger one for his family, they car camp.

JDC

FNG
Kifaru Sawtooth is amazing. Hunted for the first time in mine last year with my Dad in CO. Rained all day and night with zero leaks. Didn't pack the stove in because it only got down to the low 40s at night. The room was perfect for 2 guys and gear, with a little work 3 would be doable..

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I want the small, round stove from Ti-Goat as well. The addiction to gear continues......

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
DSC00654.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

Here's a couple photos of the Paratarp...and a cool one of my daughter!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, that was the NEX with standard lens.

I'm still getting the hang of all the options, but it takes great photos when I do it right!

Lawnboi

WKR
Aron next time your out and about could you possibly take a pic of you inside the paratarp? Im thinking of getting one, and im a smaller guy, so if you can fit in the thing with some room to spare id think it would work perfect for me for a really light solo shelter

Yukondog

WKR
This will be my second season with the BA Fly Creek UL 3. Split between two guys and it is less than 2lbs per. I do want to give a Kifaru shelter a try but can't get over the mosquito problem in CO. Those dang skitters are thick! Being that I always hunt with a partner I'm guessing the supertarp would be too small and the paratipi would not work as well because of the stove placement. So, the sawtooth would be my pick for two guys and a stove.

Then again I guess a supertarp and stove would be a perfect solo shelter. Too many variables. Sticking with the tent for now.

dotman

WKR
This will be my second season with the BA Fly Creek UL 3. Split between two guys and it is less than 2lbs per. I do want to give a Kifaru shelter a try but can't get over the mosquito problem in CO. Those dang skitters are thick! Being that I always hunt with a partner I'm guessing the supertarp would be too small and the paratipi would not work as well because of the stove placement. So, the sawtooth would be my pick for two guys and a stove.

Then again I guess a supertarp and stove would be a perfect solo shelter. Too many variables. Sticking with the tent for now.

The supertarp is probably bigger than your ul3, that thing is huge, just can't standup in it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Yukon look into Ti Goat Bivys to get away from the bugs when you sleep in a floorless shelter, CO skeeters are nothing compared to AK skeeters plus I think you'd be suprised how few actually get inside the tipi to begin with.

Yukondog

WKR
I have heard that the Supertarp is huge. The footprint seems gigantic 9x12 vs the FC of 6.5x 7.5. I would like pitch my Fly Creek next to a Supertarp, Paratipi and Sawtooth.

Luke, without a doubt you have to deal with more bugs in AK. My achilles heel is skeeters. I simply can not handle those blood sucking parasites. I turn into someone that I'm not when they are around and completely ruin any fun I'm having. Bizarre that I allow such a critter to dictate my life, but it happens.

With that, I'm not sure I could ever do a floorless shelter. Though, I have heard from a lot of people that there seems to be less bugs in a floorless shelter perhaps because the bugs can come and go freely. Most times they are trapped in my tent which then is not conducive to a good nights rest. I need help....

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yukon thats the beauty of the bivy man. Get it with a bug screen built in and the ones that do manage to get inside the shelter still can't get to ya. Plus a simply pic burning will take care of whatever ones do make it in there. A TI goat bivy with bug screen will calm your fears :D