Shikar in Tajikistan-A Pure Pamir Experience

JOC Fan

FNG
For those of you who are interested in hunting Ibex in central Asia through an authentic community based organization where you actually hunt with locals and your funds goes towards benefiting the community, have a peek at the video presentation I have uploaded on youtube. It is 30 minutes long which may seem a lot but you will know why after seeing the quality of some of the images as well as my captions and stories. You may have to slow it down on some of the images in order to be able to read all the story. A single malt will help!

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
Nice presentation.

For these hunts do you call that organization directly? Website? Phone?
Yes, you can book with them directly. Here is their website:

They organize hiking, bird watching and of course hunting trips.

You can also book through Jack Acheson and sons website as Jack personally and whole heartedly supports them;

Lastly, you can book through:

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
I just wrote an article about ANCOT and this hunt in particular which will be featured in the 2022 Spring issue of the Wild Sheep Magazine. When it hits the press, I will upload a pdf for those who are not members of the WSF. Stay tuned fellers!

bbell

WKR
Something like that is my dream hunt. Would absolutely love to go anywhere in Central Asia to hunt the mountains.
I would like that recipe you offered. Thought it started with a K. Thanks for sharing your experience.

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
Something like that is my dream hunt. Would absolutely love to go anywhere in Central Asia to hunt the mountains.
I would like that recipe you offered. Thought it started with a K. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Sure thing. They are called "Kotlets" and not to be confused with Cutlets :)

I am also on the Alberta Outdoorsman Forum and others asked about it, so I will copy and paste. Here ya go:

1 lb of ground meat (beef or game), one large grated onion, 1 lb of potatoes cooked-grated, one egg, cinnamon, salt, pepper, turmeric. Mix thoroughly by hand & let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then form in to patties; round or elliptical, bread it on both sides with a good quality bread crumb and fry in a hot sizzling pan. Do NOT flip it until one side is cooked!

Bon appetite!

ozyclint

WKR
As someone not allowed to travel outside my home state within my own country I'm living vicariously through your photo essay. It's certainly one part of the world I'd like to visit.

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
As someone not allowed to travel outside my home state within my own country I'm living vicariously through your photo essay. It's certainly one part of the world I'd like to visit.
Glad to be able to share the virtual travelogue with everyone. I am also currently working on a series of powerpoint slideshows (Probably 8 shows in total) after the hunting was over where my photographer buddy Darryn was hosted by my friends at ANCOT to travel to other conservancies and take professional quality photographs of game animals as well as general scenery, village life and Tajikistan mountains and roads. Once they are complete, I will also load them up on Youtube or another platform to share them with the rest of the NA mountain hunting community which is interested to potentially travel and hunt in the Pamirs of Tajikistan with a grass roots organization!

I enjoyed this. It was informative. I leave for this exact hunt in a week. My trip has been in the works for a few years and Im pretty excited. I’ll take a couple sets of binos to give to a couple of guys that might need them.

OP
JOC Fan

JOC Fan

FNG
I enjoyed this. It was informative. I leave for this exact hunt in a week. My trip has been in the works for a few years and Im pretty excited. I’ll take a couple sets of binos to give to a couple of guys that might need them.
Great news. Are you going with ANCOT? Drop me a PM with your cell if you want to chat further. Good luck and be safe!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow. That is a HUGE adventure. Thanks for the detailed account. That’s a big undertaking!

Great news. Are you going with ANCOT? Drop me a PM with your cell if you want to chat further. Good luck and be safe!
I am going with ANCOT. I leave January 4th. Could you send me a message. I think I’m too new on this forum to be able to send a message or I just can’t figure out how to do it.

Wow…thanks JOC. Definitely in the list of “must do’s” before I need aLao need a yak to get up the mountain. A couple of observations and questions if you don’t mind.

Yes, when flying to the “Asian regions” you are not alone in your observations of increased amount of “wheel chair/handicap people”. However the most I have ever seen was flying to Puerto Rico, dang near 30 deep. With assigned seats I don’t see the advantage other than early bulk head storage space.

Do you feel you had HAPE? It sure seemed like it. Maybe I didn’t follow the chronology of things very well but it seems you were only at 3,000+ meters for less than 24 hours before making the 1200+ meter ascent the next day. Was there indeed no acclimatization day?

Congrats on your success and on capturing and sharing the hunt with us all. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Some day soon….I hope to follow your foot steps.

Thank you