Shipping

I've shipped a couple via USPS and UPS. It cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-25 with no additional insurance at 3-5 day shipping speed. Origin and destination were both within the US.

Rob5589

WKR
Did you forget to remove an elk quarter?! Lol
USPS should be far cheaper than 120 bucks. They are big but not all that heavy.

OP
T
Yea it’s absolutely crazy 6lb pack compressed to 24”x14x6. Insured. North Idaho to Arkansas $120 ups and another quote was $100

I could see that if your paying them to pack it at a ups store.
I think I payed $40
But you need to provide your own box. Package yourself and go to a hub aka direct customer center.
A ups store tacks on fees.

Make sure it is compressed as much as possible. Cut your box down if necessary to save bulk and weight.

It still won’t be cheap but $120 seems intense.

zacattack

WKR
That’s insane. I shipped a frame that I had UPS pack for me because I couldn’t find a box, think it was around $40.

you really gotta get it in as small a box as possible. I think i've paid in the 50-60 dollar range from hawaii. it's the weight that gets you. 120 is way too much though

As a point of reference, UPS website is quoting $43.34 for a 30"×20"×6" box weighing 10 lbs shipped 4-day ground from ID to OK. With a box knife and some packing tape, you can turn an oversized Amazon box into a custom box that fits your pack perfectly. Detach the belt and lay it vertically alongside the frame to minimize box size.
Screenshot_20210316-091601.png

Geewhiz

WKR
Put it in a heavy contractor bag (or two) and then wrap the crap out of it with black electrical tape and slap a label on it. That's what I had to do to get in compressed enough to ship at a reasonable rate. Pretty ghetto but that's the way I roll.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a couple pieces of cardboard and sandwiched the pack between then duct tape the folded over edges. Send it USPS because UPS will rape you.

I tried to ship a backpack and was quoted $120 insured!!!! How do you you guys ship your packs when you sell them?
You are 1000% correct!! Once anything is over 20". It is billed as OVERSIZED!! I shipped an X-CURVE that with box was 5lb 4oz...... $87!! Unless you are shipping next door to your house. You are NOT paying $20!!! It's actually criminal!

Rob5589

WKR
You are 1000% correct!! Once anything is over 20". It is billed as OVERSIZED!! I shipped an X-CURVE that with box was 5lb 4oz...... $87!! Unless you are shipping next door to your house. You are NOT paying $20!!! It's actually criminal!
I have shipped rifles and shotguns with USPS, well over 20", and paid less than 50.00 each time.

bozeman

WKR
Use a luggage or golf bag 'bag' and ship it in it.....tape it tight so it is compressed to the shape of the pack.

Rokwiia

WKR
I was thinking of selling a McHale backpack and decided to go to UPS to see what it would cost to ship. It was in the $120+ range.

I lost that thought in a nanosecond.

GotDraw?

WKR
you really gotta get it in as small a box as possible. I think i've paid in the 50-60 dollar range from hawaii. it's the weight that gets you. 120 is way too much though
@bojangles808 - actually, you're wrong, it's not the weight that will kill you.

UPS moved away from weight-based billing to "Volume Equivalent" billing years ago. They now assume a specific weight based on volume for every box size so the bottom line is the bigger the box, the more you pay. You MUST cut your shipping boxes to the smallest dimensions possible to decrease volume and decrease shipping cost. Period.

Find a friend with a business that ships a lot via UPS, pay him/her back for the actual shipping costs. If your friend is a high volume shipper, then the rates will be significantly lower. UPS shipping stores on the other hand, rape you. You will pay the highest dollar to use them as your point of origin unless you are dropping off a prepaid box for pickup.

JL

I have shipped rifles and shotguns with USPS, well over 20", and paid less than 50.00 each time.
I have to. I believe it's total dimensions. I just shipped a 308 and it cost me 1/3 what the X-CURVE did!! Besides being 3x the weight!!