Show Up Early or Hunt Longer?

The Wyoming deer season is 3 weeks long. Would you show up a week early to locate deer and possibly pattern a buck and hunt for 2 weeks or show up for the opening day and hunt 3 weeks?

What kind of buck are you looking for? It feels as though if you're looking for something special, time scouting is helpful and results in an opening day tag punch. If you're just wanting a nice representative, maybe in-season hunting woudl be better. 🤷‍♂️

You're looking at a lot of time there. If I wanted just a nice mature buck, I would personally just split it or maybe do 5-6 days scouting in the summer and come back for opening day, but that's me.

OP
Indian Summer
I’m talking region G. High country Rifle. I’ll never get to hunt it again at my age and it has some big deer so definitely looking for a quality buck. I’ve hunted the general area for elk for many years. But elk are below timberline so it’ll be a different game. But I’m right at home in the hills and have everything I need gear wise.

Season starts on a Friday so it’s either a week of scouting then hunt or 3 full weeks of hunting to head home on a Sunday.

Last edited:

Petwa

FNG
Done it both ways. As someone who has to drive 34 hours just to get to Wyoming, I now do not show up early to scout. We plan on Hunting 10days. Two full weeks off traveling included. Last year we arrived Saturday afternoon. Seven days into the rifle season. I killed a nice buck on day 5 of our hunt, my partner on day eight. With limited time off from work, we seldom show up before the season starts anymore.
If I could, I would show up a week before season start and hunt the entire three week season. It’s just not an option for us at this point in our lives.

Do you bow hunt at all? If so I would show up the week before rifle and try to get it done with the bow then hunt the first 2 weeks of rifle if you don’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm tough call. Scouting can be confidence inspiring to stay and hunt a spot thoroughly. There’s a good chance the big buck in a basin will go into hiding during the pressure of opening week and be tough to find/kill even though he is still there.

Without scouting it’s hard for me to stay put and resist the urge to keep moving…which is usually the wrong choice.

If you can swing a July scouting trip, and then come back for the hunt that would be my choice.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Are you planning to backpack in and camp? If so I would go at least 4-5 days before opener. Get camp established, scout and learn lay of the land. Come out the afternoon 1.5 days before opener. Go to town, have shower, eat steak, sleep in real bed. Hike back in the day before opener and be ready with a plan for opening morning.

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree with above. If this is a backpack hunt I say go a week early, get camp set and scout. If you’re truck hunting or something similar I’m more inclined to take all three weeks and hunt

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I use to be the early bird, but now a days I have a tendency to not show up to the unit until opening morning, and plan to stay for longer. I try to pick the middle of longer seasons.
Maybe I just have a tendency to scout where everyone goes for the first day, but I have enjoyed e-scouting as much as I can for an unknown place, and narrow down the 5 places that I liked to 3 because of the amount of people when I get there.

OP
Indian Summer
For high country deer I need to be on top early and late. So unlike my elk hunt there will be no base camp. I’m getting packed in to a spot to camp that’s just several hundred feet in elevation from the top of the main ridge. I’ll probably go out during the summer to hike in and get familiar with the area and find the best vantage points to glass from. So I guess it just comes down to this: Is it worth showing up early to try to locate a shooter buck or just show up a day early and use every minute of time to hunt.

If you were talking archery I’d go early. Since it’s rifle, you won’t be going in on unmolested deer. They will have been bounced around during archery and plenty of elk hunters in the area, likely already out of summer patterns. I’d go the full 3 weeks of season. Gorgeous country, good luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just pray that no more of those deer die in the next few weeks. G is buried right now and those deer are struggling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Depending on the actual opener, If you never been there, I'd show up 2 days early and plan for at least 9-10 days of actual hunting.

We went to CO, showed up a day early, set up camp and drove the unit, saw where we wanted to go and were there at first light next day along with a bunch of other guys. Shot my deer on day 6. Buddy had shot opps day 7 and day 8. He quit at dark on day 8 - didn't want to deal with a dead deer on Day 9 with his flight that night.

OP
Indian Summer
Just pray that no more of those deer die in the next few weeks. G is buried right now and those deer are struggling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
We’ll almost certainly lose more. But I’d be more concerned about the hunting in future years since we already lost about half of the fawn crop from 22.

OP
Indian Summer
Depending on the actual opener, If you never been there, I'd show up 2 days early and plan for at least 9-10 days of actual hunting.

We went to CO, showed up a day early, set up camp and drove the unit, saw where we wanted to go and were there at first light next day along with a bunch of other guys. Shot my deer on day 6. Buddy had shot opps day 7 and day 8. He quit at dark on day 8 - didn't want to deal with a dead deer on Day 9 with his flight that night.
I’ve elk hunted all over north and south of the area I intend to hunt. But I have never been to this exact location.

I’m definitely showing up a day or two early. I’m questioning if I should show up a full week early. Total time in the hills will be three weeks. So it’s either one scouting in to hunting or three hunting. And since the deer will have already reacted to some archery hunters and elk hunters three weeks of hunting is probably my best bet.

Cowbell

WKR
If you have three weeks to hunt, I would definately go in early to try to find a booner to set up on for the opener.