side sleepers

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey guys!
need some advice here. I am currently running a thermarest neo air x lite pad,
I am thinking about upgrading to the xtherm max for upgraded r value, and a slightly wider pad versus the x lite.
Sleeping for me has always been an issue because my dang arm falls asleep on me in the middle of the night. Im assuming this is because my arm hangs off the side of the pad and cuts circulation off.. curious to know what ya'll do and if a wider sleeping pad like the x therm max would help my situation.. Thanks in advance!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In addition to being a side sleeper I also move A LOT so I switched to a wide pad that's 4" thick. Definitely helped the arm troubles plus gives room to roam without falling off.

As a bonus, my back is prone to trouble. I finally figured out to 1) inflate the pad just enough to keep my hips off the ground--maybe 60%-70%--and 2) put my pack or duffel bag under my pad to raise my knees 5-6". These two tricks keep my back aligned, my arms uncramped, and my nights pretty restful.

I have a similar problem, though in my case it's more like my shoulders wake me up in the middle of the night. I have a hard time sleeping most of the time - home, hotels, backcountry, wherever. This year I'm trying the Nemo tensor wide. Only one night so far but way better than my previous therm a rest (I think it was some sort of neo air deluxe).
The other thing that has helped when I sleep on my side is to put folded clothes under my side/lats. It takes some of the pressure off the shoulder and moves it to your rib cage.

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big side sleeper and have tried a lot of things. My only solution was to give up and learn to sleep on my back.

I use an Xtherm wide and long and have zero issues side sleeping. If I want or need a little different set up I’ll put it on top of a luxury lite cot and it’s super comfy.

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
thank you for all of the advice guys! I ordered a xtherm regular/wide. having the extra sleeping pad space will be nice. Campsaver has them for sale with 20% off..

bmejia

FNG
I have the same issues. I bought a Nemo Riff bag which is made for side sleeping which is nice and I am going to try RemCaps from Hammer Nutrition which are supposed to help you sleep better (other brands make similar supplements but I have always had luck with Hammer). Also I find running lower psi in my pad helps so my shoulder sinks in further. I'd bet a wider pad would help to, let us know what you think!

SouthPaw

WKR
Same issues here, 100% side sleeper. I used the NeoAir X-lite for years, always woke up to arms or hands falling asleep even when not fully inflated. The X-therm is the same 2.5" thickness as the X-lite so it may not fully solve your problem, but try it at less then full inflation for more 'give'. I ended up switching to the 4" thick Sea to Summit etherlite XT and I side sleep through the night now. Its a few ounces heavier than the X-lite but worth it for the far better sleep.