Sitka Ambient Hoody - awesome! But?

ChrisAU

WKR
Why did they drop the kangaroo pocket? That would have put the piece over the top IMO. Drop the useless chest pocket and add hand pockets and voila, minimal weight gain and warm hands.

For those who have handled them, is there a piece that utilizes the lofted inner with a light shell like it that has hand pockets? As it is it is my new favorite piece of clothing, just wish it had that.

I really like the quarter zip, I could do without any pockets as I never truly utilize them. It is hands down my favorite piece and I will buy another without hesitation when this one dies. But I’m in the camp of less pockets is better. I might put some chapstick or a single car key in the chest pocket at the most

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Same as Dakota. I love how simple it is, they overdo so many pieces with little “feature.” The ambient hoody is one of my favorite pieces of outdoor technical clothing ever.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
You can still find the arrowhead mdwi full zip at some retailers. The ambient seems like a cheaper alternative in my opinion.

Well this is gonna cost me a lot of money today. Full zip with hand pockets and 12.5 oz? Shidddd

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Not at all a fan of pockets. Especially kangaroo style pockets. Just never use them

jd1006

WKR
Barklow said they wanted the hoodie to be as lightweight as possible. I also don’t believe the hoody is an outerlayer, nor has the face fabric proven to be durable, so the lack of pockets is because this is a midlayer. I’m very impressed with it.

If you want a midlayer that can serve as an outerlayer, the Origin Hoodie from First Lite is about as good as it gets.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
The Ambient (or MDWi's I ordered this morning) goes in the blank in my layering:

FL Wick or Kuiu 120 Merino SS
Peloton 97 QZ or Hoody

I absolutely use the layer in the blank space when glassing and when moving in very cold conditions as an "outer" layer. In the past it has been a Sitka Core Midweight or Heavyweight, Kuiu Strongfleece, Peloton 240, or the like.

As you can see I split the mid-layer concept in two as I can generally be warm enough when moving in the just the light merino base and a Peloton 97. The next part is for extra cold activity or stationary time when it isn't cold enough for the puffy. Can use the rain jacket for wind if needed with any layer. But doing such makes me focus on weight of my "double" midlayer setup. The 97 is only 4.9 oz for the QZ and 5.5 for the Hoody, but I HATE stacking hoods, so the layer in the blank space drives which one of those comes with me. The Ambient beats the others I've tried in warmth to weight, but when I'm sitting or stopped hiking for whatever reason, I like hand pockets. And of course full zip just makes everything easier.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I also very much like kangaroo pockets. I like hoods also, but the kangaroo pocket is more important to me for this layer. Due to this, I went with the ambient jacket. Really like it so far.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
The Ambient (or MDWi's I ordered this morning) goes in the blank in my layering:

FL Wick or Kuiu 120 Merino SS
Peloton 97 QZ or Hoody

I absolutely use the layer in the blank space when glassing and when moving in very cold conditions as an "outer" layer. In the past it has been a Sitka Core Midweight or Heavyweight, Kuiu Strongfleece, Peloton 240, or the like.

As you can see I split the mid-layer concept in two as I can generally be warm enough when moving in the just the light merino base and a Peloton 97. The next part is for extra cold activity or stationary time when it isn't cold enough for the puffy. Can use the rain jacket for wind if needed with any layer. But doing such makes me focus on weight of my "double" midlayer setup. The 97 is only 4.9 oz for the QZ and 5.5 for the Hoody, but I HATE stacking hoods, so the layer in the blank space drives which one of those comes with me. The Ambient beats the others I've tried in warmth to weight, but when I'm sitting or stopped hiking for whatever reason, I like hand pockets. And of course full zip just makes everything easier.
That’s some solid detail and thought.

I’ve been using mine over a base layer and forgoing fleece. But that p97 is so light that I could see the combo being nice for colder movement.

I added a kangaroo pocket to the xl I have. I lost weight and had to get a L and I think I’m going to leave it as is. I still prefer the belichick if I’m layering over something like a core heavyweight with thicker sleeves going on a day hunt. Otherwise the ambient covers more bases for multi day hunts.

This is good active insulation piece so I wear it when it's cold and I'm moving. I like a kangaroo pocket to put my hands in when I stop, not to store gear in. That being said, I will certainly pick up another with no hesitation if needed.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
You can still find the arrowhead mdwi full zip at some retailers. The ambient seems like a cheaper alternative in my opinion.

Got the full zip jacket and hoody in today. I think they are perfect. So much so I may buy another in a different color before supply dries up.