Sitka has New Jacket, the Kodiak

Just saw the new Sitka Kodiak Jacket on their hard to navigate website. It is knee length, water resistant, and comes Optifade Open Country, Subalpine, and Pyrite. Has anyone tried one on? I thought my Blizzard Parka was long, but knee length seems a little much. You can reduce the length by folding the bottom under, and snapping it to the inside of the Jacket. Just seems too long, and if you fold it under, it would be too bulky. $550 seems about right for Sitka jackets so I'm not surprised at the price.

May be considered as a rain jacket??

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It is not a “water resistant” jacket, it is THE rain jacket. It’s made with the new stretch GoreTex Pro. It’s made for Alaska and the brutal conditions one typically finds hunting Brown bears, or really anything in coastal Alaska. I’ve got one ordered for my November trip to Kodiak this year; it should be perfect.

I hunted brown bear near Yakutat; it RAINED for 10 straight days. Not a drizzle...rain and heavy rain. I hunted black bears news POW. Other than the two hours I set up and took down camp, it RAINED the entire time.

Rain gear is key to any Alaska adventure. The Kodiak is going to be very versatile. I imagine the extra length is so the guides that live in hip boots are covered. They had huge input from guides on Kodiak Island for that rain coat.

FlyGuy

WKR
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I'd heard this was coming out.

It is not something I need for the fairly dry areas I hunt, but I like the concept of it. I like the idea of wearing just this jacket and gaiters & not having to pack in rain pants. But this is built for serious rain over days & days and it is just way more jacket than I need for occasional showers. I'm sure it is going to be a hit with the guys in Oregon and Alaska, maybe parts of Idaho. But, If sitka came out with a lightweight "dewpoint" version of this jacket I think I'd be all over it. Right now my dewpoint pants & jacket are 2oz less than this jacket. Obviously b/c they are intended for completely different environments, but if they could get one of these down to around 18oz I'd really be interested. I hate wearing rain pants, and I hate packing them in. But, if there is a chance of rain in the forecast, I also hate not having them in my pack. I haven't been able to get comfortable with the idea of dropping them from my kit altogether like I know many others do.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one coming with the intent of using it for working and hunting with my Pudelpointer in the PNW this fall. As Steve O mentioned this was designed by, and for, guides on Kodiak. With that said, I think of a lot of PNW hunters might find the concept useful. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Stid2677

WKR
My hunting partner used one on Kodiak this spring, I hope they changed the production model, the fold up flap kept coming unsnapped and would fall down while hiking.

I hear ya, Sitka makes decent clothing but their website is useless! This jacket looks funny but I'm sure it functions really well. I guess it depends on how you're hunting. I live in on the west coast of BC and hunt blacktail deer. The best hunting gets going when it's real stormy. Wet and windy make the deer move so hunting opportunities increase. This would be a great jacket for "wet coast" deer hunting. I have a Swazi Thar which is also long and strange looking but it works like a charm. Looks like this is Sitka's version of the Swazi.

Kotaman

WKR
I've got one...I thought it would come in handy on three upcoming Ak hunts. First off, I ended up sending my usual size back for a size smaller as this is their "expedition" fit. It is made to wear over everything you have on. The XXL I ordered was HUMONGOUS. (I wear an XXL in all of their stuff accept the expedition fit stuff, I usually get in a XL) In theory I like the concept. We will see if it works as advertised this fall.

The website has gotten better. If you just use the "Men's Clothing" tab, everything comes up. The more one uses the site, the better it gets, but yes, it is clumsy for starters.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
It’s great. I bought it in XL as I’m nearly 6”3 and it’s too big in the waist. It’s huge. Works great.