Sitka Nomad Alternative?

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Nomad as a bow case for flying. Is it just a $400 oversized suitcase? I'd put the bow in a soft case and stuff it with hunting clothes/gear.

I can't find many pictures but I don't see what makes it anything more than a large suitcase? Is there a cheaper alternative that would do the same thing?

I'd also appreciate any other bow case recommendations for flying.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
SKB was always the standard, not flying with my bow in a soft case!

Many use the skb double bow and stuff clothes in with it as well. Just keep tabs on the weight.

No idea what the sitka case is, but I wouldn't pay 400 for a soft case!!!

MattB

WKR
The Badlands/William Joseph hard bottom roller duffel was what many guides used before the Nomad was released. I've used one for many years with 0 issues.

I use a junk rolling (soft) golf case I bought used. I put a golf club in there and check it as golf equipment. It's oversized but golf is exempt.

I take my bow and wrap it in my sleeping bag & tarp and tie all my clothes around it, triple stuffing around the cams & sight. I put all this into the soft case. Soft case goes into golf bag along with all my other gear until I'm at 49.5#. Having wheels is great.

I've done this on 3 round trips without issue. I know it's likely taking a risk not having it in a hard case but my bow is very well padded packed inside all my gear. I pack a chunk of high-density foam and take a shot at the truck to verify zero. It's easier for the baggage apes to throw hard cases around than my rolling golf case. My next plan is to try to stuff a hard case inside my "golf bag" as this would be the best of both worlds.

Cabelas offered the Ripcord size XL rolling duffel for $159. It fit my 35” axle to axle prime rival inside a soft case with a spare bow, bow quiver and arrow tube. Plus a Kifaru Reckoning pack, down sleeping bag, pad, spare boots and all my clothes for padding. Fill to 49#s.

I do not believe that duffel is offered at Cabelas anymore. Was 44” x about 18” x 18” and weighs 9#s empty. Has an extendable handle and a couple of grab handles on the ends. Cordura and heavy zipper. Really works good for me. Had 70#s in it on a Northern Canada February hunt 3 yrs ago where that was the weight limit. Handled it fine.

Find something like that and ship your archery gear without a worry. Note that carrying on optics and electronics is recommended. Too valuable to put them in baggage. Good luck.

Trial153

WKR
I figure I have about fifften or so trips on the Nomad and its been excellent. I don't see it costing more then a similar sized lugged from a top brand like samsonite, filson or Victorinox. The great part of the nomad is its light weight. Filling its with 30 plus extra pounds of gear is money saver over extra baggage fees.

I have used the Nomad many times as well, 15+ trips. Never been charged over size, but is very easy to over pack since its big. I strip my bow 34” and it fits easy

OP
A

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
Good info fellas.

I can't find the Cabela's Ripstop XL or the William Joseph duffle anymore. Maybe one will pop up on eBay. Surely Bass Pro has an alternative now.

The Everest Legend looks like it'd do the trick too for around 200-250.

I also like the golf case idea. I'm looking at The Vault hard case for around $150.

If I could find the Nomad used or on sale I'd jump on it too.

MattB

WKR
Good info fellas.

I can't find the Cabela's Ripstop XL or the William Joseph duffle anymore. Maybe one will pop up on eBay. Surely Bass Pro has an alternative now.

The Everest Legend looks like it'd do the trick too for around 200-250.

I also like the golf case idea. I'm looking at The Vault hard case for around $150.

If I could find the Nomad used or on sale I'd jump on it too.

The Badlands Terraglide is the same bag as the WJ model and is available online.