SKB bow case - # of padlocks for airline travel?

I would never relinquish the keys to anyone. That’s not the policy. Make them bring you to the case or vice versa.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I would never relinquish the keys to anyone. That’s not the policy. Make them bring you to the case or vice versa.
Easier said than done. In Charleston SC I was told they had the inspection area in a secure part of the airport. When I told them the rule, the agent acknowledged it but explained that their infrastructure unfortunately wasn't consistent with the rule. (The airport may have changed after the reconstruction.) I was told, "you have two choices - give me the keys and wait, or don't fly with your weapon." Since I didn't want to rent a car to drive home, I gave her the keys.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kabarNC

FNG
There's a bit of misleading, if not bad, info on this thread.

Think about it: does anyone actually think someone (people working behind security/baggage handlers/etc.) will cut locks, remove weapon, and then send an empty case to destination? No. They will take the entire case, throw it over a fence into the weeds somewhere, and pick it up again at an opportune time. Your case won't show up, you'll file a missing bag claim, and the airline will "investigate".

To cover as many bases as possible: Print off and carry airline AND TSA rules for the airports affecting you, so you AND airline personnel are on the same page. Spare locks inside, like was mentioned above. Lock cases as recommended by both rules, with recommended locks. Also like was said above, it makes no difference what locks you use as far as security is concerned, you just have to follow their rules.

Be early. Be courteous. Be friendly. Build a rapport with agents. Win hearts and minds. Don't argue or discuss rules minutiae with agents. Enjoy your hunt.

cuzmort

FNG
This may add to some of the ambiguities within the discussion on multiple locks, but here's what I've learned based on my experiences...

Ive flown with a firearm (either rifle or shotgun) over 4 dozen times within the last 10 years in and out of various airports within the U.S. and Canada with a Plano double rifle case that has 2 built in TSA latch locks. I have never had an airline agent or TSA agent request that I add any other locks to the two other attachment points on the case. They have ALWAYS allowed me to check my firearms with just 2 built in latch locks without any problem. Just make sure any ammo is either in a factory box or some other acceptable box/case built for that specific purpose.

It's probably not a bad idea to bring some extra locks for the SKB case though. Especially since their attachment points are pretty conspicuous. I was actually thinking about purchasing the exact same double bow case with the built in TSA latch locks so I would be anxious to hear back on your experiences.

I couldn't agree more with the previous post about getting there a little early and just being patient/courteous with the process. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I couldn't agree more with the previous post about getting there a little early and just being patient/courteous with the process. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I always get their early and say "yes sir/ma'am" frequently.

It does matter which locks you use. You can’t lock a firearm with a TsA lock. I believe the rule states a lock that only can be opened by you.

The rule is also clear about how many locks. You must put a lock at every place that is designed to accept a lock. It’s as easy as that. My SKB case requires four locks so that is how many I use.

Jason7

FNG
I too have a double bow SKB case which will hold two rifles for a Utah Mule deer hunt. Thanks for all the answers to the original question.

Manimal

FNG
Direct from tsa.gov website, only area open to interpretation is "completely secure". One lock is secure to one TSA agent 6 locks are considered secure to another. Leave no room for interpretation.

You may transport unloaded firearms in a locked hard-sided container as checked baggage only. Declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking your bag at the ticket counter. The container must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Front line update. FWIW.

I *just* checked my SKB case with a bow and an unloaded pistol.

Observations:

1. The Delta agent asked more questions about the contents than the later TSA agent. She wanted to see the pistol but didn't ask me to demonstrate it was unloaded.

2. The TSA agents ran my case thru the Xray and said I was "good to go". No questions from anyone about ammo or whether the pistol was loaded. I didn't have to open the case.

3. I had to suggest to the TSA agent that I add the padlocks. (I think she assumed the case was locked with factory locks.)

4. As I put on six padlocks, I asked the agent about the test for whether the case is "secure". She said I could have used only 2 locks. I still prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

5. While going thru the above I was having second thoughts about whether having a pistol in the case was worth it. But since I would have had to go thru both procedures ("Special Services" check-in and the Oversize Screening scan), it was worth the slight additional anxiety (of interacting with our government with a firearm) up front and the absence of worry now that someone may be rooting around in my case and checking out my bow.

I will report back about my return flight Saturday.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Closing the loop based on my return travel from Omaha to Atlanta. The gate agent was somewhat confused about whether I was supposed to lock my combination padlocks or not before she sent the case back to the TSA security. She told me to lock them but to wait. She came back and needed the combo so TSA could open the case (thereby ruining my entire approach of not wanting anyone rooting around in my case without me present).

Note - the rules appear to have changed, as this site (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition) specifically says you are to keep the keys or combo to yourself "unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations."

The gate agent did say I needed all 6 locks - but of course she's not the final say on that.