Sleep apnea and Backpacking

I have the Human Design Medical Z1 portable cpap. The system without the battery fits in a large kifaru pullout. For the battery I went big. I got Expion 360 EXP 72Pro (3.3 LBS) and keep a cheaper on 50,000 mAh in the truck as a spare. Get a battery that has a cigarette cigarette lighter port in it as that works the best. I can get 4-5 days out of it depending amount of sleep time. I also have a solar panel that I haven't gotten to try. Total weight, in pack, is 4.56lbs and worth every ounce!
Thanks for this post @tim tarras. I ended up buying the EXP48PRO. The 72 is no longer in production and the 48 is the largest size you can still get through TSA with to fly somewhere for a hunt. I haven’t had an opportunity to test out the setup yet, but am confident it will work well (as long as the recharge rate keeps pace with the hunt duration).

BadDogPSD

WKR
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 3 1/2 years ago and have been using a cpap ever since. I've debated getting one of the small battery powered CPAP machines so I can resume backpacking & backpack hunting but have not yet.
My dentist introduced me to a new(ish) treatment called Vivos. As part of the evaluation, they did a CT scan on my head & neck. My trachea narrows to 1-2 mm. Normal male is 25 mm.
The Vivos treatment (oral appliance) is supposed to increase the trachea to near normal size over the course of 12-18 months. Many patients don't need their cpap after 2-3 months of Vivos treatment. I really hope it works!

BROOKS5

FNG
I have a buddy that can't sleep without his machine. My other buddy and I pitched in and bought him a portable solar panel for our camping trips so he wouldn't die on us. He just charges his battery everyday and makes it through each night.

I absolutely hate my cpap! Sure, it works which is great but after about 3 hours I really start to wake up and then fight the dang thing the rest of the night. When I got tested I only had about 10 episodes per hour and the doc said I could do a cpap or a mouth piece. I did the cpap because insurance paid for most of it but the mouthpiece was full cost. I really miss my backpacking trips and hunts. Other hunts I camp out of a trailer or tent and run a small quiet Honda generator all night. Fill the gas tank up every night and it last till about 4:30 in the morning.

Willie IV

FNG
I just got back from AK caribou hunting. I bought the resmed portable cpap and used a goal zero Sherpa 100W battery and Nomad 20 solar panel to charge during the day. I was able to use every night. I don't travel as much for work as I used to but will like traveling with the small travel CPAP much better than lugging around the briefcase with the normal sized machine!

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from AK caribou hunting. I bought the resmed portable cpap and used a goal zero Sherpa 100W battery and Nomad 20 solar panel to charge during the day. I was able to use every night. I don't travel as much for work as I used to but will like traveling with the small travel CPAP much better than lugging around the briefcase with the normal sized machine!
How did you connect the Sherpa to the Air Mini? Does the sherpa have a 24v DC outlet?

I've noticed when reading the specs on some of these machines that they're rated for use for 8500' max. In fact I haven't seen one rated at over that elevation. Many of us hunt and camp far higher than that. Any feedback regarding that?

The Sherpa has an AC outlet that I plugged into.
It is more efficient if you plug your sleep machine into a DC instead of AC outlet. It uses significantly less energy. You need to turn off the heated hose and water heater though to make DC work well. To do this you need a DC outlet compatible battery and a separate cord to connect your machine to a DC outlet.

I've noticed when reading the specs on some of these machines that they're rated for use for 8500' max. In fact I haven't seen one rated at over that elevation. Many of us hunt and camp far higher than that. Any feedback regarding that?
I just checked my battery’s user manual and it does not mention anything about elevation restrictions, just temperature ranges. That is an interesting question you have.

Willie IV

FNG
It is more efficient if you plug your sleep machine into a DC instead of AC outlet. It uses significantly less energy. You need to turn off the heated hose and water heater though to make DC work well. To do this you need a DC outlet compatible battery and a separate cord to connect your machine to a DC outlet.
That's understood but the new Goal Zero Sherpas do not have a DC option (older models did). The 100W battery was ample even in temps in the lower 30's. It's the only thing I used the battery for. Now, if you have some suggestions on a cable connector to convert to DC and still use the AC outlet or one of the USB's I'm all ears.😁 Also, the air mini does not have a heat option or water heater.

I can't understand what the elevation difference would make in using the air mini. I did notice the 8500 limit but. Maybe something to do with the pump?

That's understood but the new Goal Zero Sherpas do not have a DC option (older models did). The 100W battery was ample even in temps in the lower 30's. It's the only thing I used the battery for. Now, if you have some suggestions on a cable connector to convert to DC and still use the AC outlet or one of the USB's I'm all ears.😁 Also, the air mini does not have a heat option or water heater.

I can't understand what the elevation difference would make in using the air mini. I did notice the 8500 limit but. Maybe something to do with the pump?
Gotcha, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were seeking a new solution but it appears that your Sherpa with AC outlet worked for your setup.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
That was why i asked what connection the sherpa had. I currently use 2 Medistrom 24v DC which are made to power the air mini via DC. But the sherpa looks like a better choice of battery. Longer lasting than the Medistrom.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider

Ive used my air mini at 10,300' without issue except the hose got rained out a bit with condensation sleeping in a cold tent. Certainly made up for lack of humidification.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any feedback or experiences with the oral appliances? Would really like to try one out
Tried a non custom one once for a night. Gave me a splitting headache probably from my jaw being distorted. I doubt they reduce apnea events enough for anyone with serious apnea.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I have better luck with 3 to 4 advil before going to bed and sleeping with a strong menthol cough drop in my cheek. If i run out of power for yhe air mini. Seems to keep me from waking up choking.

I have the Human Design Medical Z1 portable cpap. The system without the battery fits in a large kifaru pullout. For the battery I went big. I got Expion 360 EXP 72Pro (3.3 LBS) and keep a cheaper on 50,000 mAh in the truck as a spare. Get a battery that has a cigarette cigarette lighter port in it as that works the best. I can get 4-5 days out of it depending amount of sleep time. I also have a solar panel that I haven't gotten to try. Total weight, in pack, is 4.56lbs and worth every ounce!
I just joined this forum 2 days ago, @tim tarras you post was a few years ago. I am looking into the Human Design Medical Z1 portable, They have an extended life battery @ 1# has anyone used this battery that can comment on the life of this between charges, Steep $329