Sleeping bag/sleep system question.

DIY HNTR

FNG
Trying to square away a flexible sleep system for early to mid season elk hunting in various states for future hunts.

I'm looking to get the WM Badger GWS sleeping bag, but I'm not sure what size to order. I'm thinking the 6' bag, but I'm wondering if the extra for room of a 6'6" bag is a good idea, or waste of space and weight. I'm 5'10 1/2" and 190lbs. I'm choosing the badger because I like the idea of more room in that bag.

I'm thinking of combining this with an Exped Downmat Winterlight pad and a Hilleberg tent of some kind. Not sure if I want to go with a 2 person for solo, or a Nallo 3 in case another hunter comes along. Looking for ideas on that also. This will be my first Elk hunt as I live out East. I'm going to try and pair up with an experienced hunter my first time, or possibly hire a guide to come with for my first hunt. I may go solo after that unless I find a good hunting partner who is serious.

The bigger bag won't be quite as warm as the smaller one since there is more ambiant air to warm up. I'm a warm sleeper though so prefer to size up my sleeping bag. Also leaves a little extra room for socks or whatnot to dry out.

I believe everyone needs a family of tents. I've got both an Akto and a Nallo3. I've never solo'd with the Nallo but there have been hikes where I'm the mule and carried the food, kitchen and shelter. On these hikes I've basically filled up my 7200 T1. It's not terrible but the bulk does take up a lot of space. Awesome for two though if you can split the gear up a little.

For me the paratarp gets the most use followed closely by the Akto with the Nallo in a distant third place. That's also the same order I purchased them which worked well for me.

mlob1one

WKR
Big fan of Expeds. The winterlite could be great if you don't toss a lot. R value is incredibly strong.
I prefer the UL synmat in a long wide personally because I toss and turn.

At 6' & 200# I prefer both a long mat and a 6'6" bag, but that is from several nights in shorter bags.

Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
DIY HNTR

DIY HNTR

FNG
Thanks for the advice guys,. After some reading and shopping around I got a great deal on an Exped Downmat Winterlight regular wide pad on clearance and decided to go with a new Kifaru 0° wide bag. I picked up an MSR Nook 2 person tent for my shelter really cheap on Amazon. I think that will be a good starting setup. Just don't have the money for a Hilleberg right now with all the gear I still need to get. I just ordered a new Kifaru hunting frame and Reckoning bag because I didn't want to go cheap on my pack. I haven't bought the sleeping bag yet, but I'm saving up for it. Just soo many items to get for backpacking but I'm buying good quality gear, hoping it will last for many years.

I'm not going to bash anything kifaru because I haven't used them but I can tell you that you can get some.great bags from marmot north face big agnes Mt hardwear (insert any other mountaineering brand here) for half the price. Mountaineering brands come out with new bags every year or so and there is absolutely nothing wrong with last year's on clearance. It might weigh 6 oz more and pack 1 liter bigger but it will probably cost 200 less.

Just something to think about if your on a budget.

I would think that you will be fine with a 6"-0" bag.I've had a badger for years .I've used it below 15 deg. and ..
never been cold.When I got it I considered the GWS bag but in the end I got the standard shell because I heard the GWS felt clammy after awhile.I've been very happy with it in rainy Wa.