Sleeping pad questions

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
My little brother and I are planning a 7-8 day hunt this November, and will be back packing in to and elevation of roughly 8000-8500 feet. We expect some snow and some cold temps. I'm not new to back packing hunting, but I am new to doing it in November when it's cold. The first thing on my list of things to buy was a sleeping bag. I think I've settled on the Outdoors Vital Summit 0* Storm Loft down sleeping bag. It fits my budget, and it seems to be fairly small and light for it's price range. Well while searching for sleeping bags, I've come across a lot of talk about sleeping pads. I've always thought that a sleeping pad was for comfort, but according to some, it looks like people are using them to increase the rating of their sleeping bags. Does this really work, and can anyone recommend one that won't break the bank or my back? Thanks.

A good R rating definitely helps with warmth on chilly nights. I bought the Klymit Insulated Static V a few years ago and it has become a real favorite of mine. I paid under $70 for it and while I'm sure there are better options out there, I've been completely happy with this. I have become a firm believer in comfortable pads and won't hunt without one anymore.

Klymit Insulated Static V Sleeping Pad with Free S&H — CampSaver

I will definitely carry a few more ounces when it comes to comfort. Nothing,like a good night's sleep. Nothing worse than a bad one.

I'm a huge fan of ExPed. Their pads carry me through all the seasons especially in the cold. Great R value and amazing comfort.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I absolutely HATE sleeping in a sleeping bag and getting cold. If it really does help with warmth, I'm willing to give it a try. I'll take a look at those that you have listed.

When you lay in your bag all the down or synthetic insulation on the bottom is compressed by your body weight. By compressing it you remove its ability to hold warm air. In winter the ground can be very cold and if you don't have an insulated pad you too will be very cold.

An insulated pad is equally important as your bag for staying warm in cold conditions.

You should be paying as much attention to the R-value for your sleeping pad as you are to the temperature rating of your sleeping bag. Even a 0 degree bag won't keep you warm in cold weather if your pad has no insulation. I used an X-therm from Thermarest in the past and was happy with it. It was comfortable, light, and warm with an R-value of 5.7, but they aren't too cheap.

Yup to the above posts. Your pad is absolutely essential to staying warm, especially getting into winter conditions. In terms of affordable options, I'd have a look at the Cabela’s Instinct Insulated Sleeping Pad. R value around 4.5 I haven't used it, as I run an Xtherm primarily, but its about half the price and might be worth a look.

When you lay in your bag all the down or synthetic insulation on the bottom is compressed by your body weight. By compressing it you remove its ability to hold warm air. In winter the ground can be very cold and if you don't have an insulated pad you too will be very cold.

An insulated pad is equally important as your bag for staying warm in cold conditions.

Exactly why I only use high quality down quilts.

the pad won’t increase the rating of your bag, but without the right pad you’ll be miserable regardless of what bag you have

sleeping bag/quilt keeps you warm above, pad keeps you warm below

in November at those elevations, I would bring my Xtherm and a ccf pad

I've got Xtherms and an insulated Static V Luxe. Man, that 30" wide pad is NICE. I'll take the weight penalty for the room to roll over on that pad and to not have arms hanging off the edges. It's money with a quilt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's been said a bunch of times here's, but I'll reiterate. If I had to pick between a bag/quilt and pad, I'd pick a pad every time. It's not equally important to a sleeping bag, it's way more important.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You lose more heat through the ground than you do through the air. I agree with RockWest above...if I had to choose one; I'd have a sleeping Pad.

my wife found a closeout deal on the Xtherm. just got it in the mail yesterday.

my BigAg Q-core SL just wasnt cutting it on the coldest nights. hoping this helps..gonna pair it with my new 10 degquilt.

a pad can make or break your hunt, definitely plays a huge role in you staying warm. For November time frame i would stick to R values above 4. 5 and higher would be better. Spend the money on a good pad. worth the extra weight.

Mass Drop has the X-Therm on right now. Good price, light (15 ounces for the Regular size), 5.7 R-Value.

Hard to beat this deal. And you will freeze you a$$ of without a good pad.

Back