Slick Tricks vs VPA

In theory that sounds great, but ill be hunting Antelope, Mule Deer, Moose, and Elk for a continuous 7 week block with no time in between the hunts to retune my setup. Ive used Rage 2 Blades exclusively since 2010. I won't use a head unless it flies true. So if I get the fixed head to fly true, I don't see much reason to switch to another head for smaller animals. If my fixed heads didn't fly accurately I'd def want something else for the smaller game, but then I'd want something else for the big critters too (why use an inaccurate BH ever?)

Ya I didn't know this was going to be a long road trip like that. I don't think you will go wrong. Just get a pack of each and see what flys best for you

desertcj

WKR
I shoot slick trick mag 125's and I haven't shot the VPA's. I like the price of the slick tricks at ~$25 a 3 pack. At that price and performance point, it seems pretty hard for me to switch to something else. There are a lot of other great heads out there though...

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Vpa 'a fly great out to 60 for me and all of my buddies who shoot them. I would be wiling to bet they would fly just as good as any head out there. Good flight comes from good form, good tuning, and consistent gear. And vpa's are toughest head you can get ill bet my whole bow on that!

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Great feedback fellas. Looks like I already had it narrowed to two of the very best options on the market.

I went with STs. Felt more comfortable with their track record, price point, and ease of replacing blades vs sharpening. Can't wait to get my new strings on this weekend and get my arrows dialed in.

Both are great heads. I will add another one to the mix thou. The shuttle t lock by trophy taker or the terminal t lock.

I have found the shuttle and terminal to fly the best at long range (100 yards). Tightest groups. Often these heads seem to shoot better and group tighter than my field points. At long range they beat out the slick tricks accuracy wise. B Will I shoot that far on an animal..no but if they fly good at that range then that's what I want to use.

The VPA's are super tough and a solid choice. Resharpenable which makes it nice.

Slick tricks are very sharp out of the package and punch some nasty holes (because of that 4th blade.) slicks have good flight.

Shuttle t locks are quieter in flight then the slick trick and penetrate really well. For me after testing them against each other th shuttle flew the best!

desertcj

WKR
Shuttle T's were on my short list as well. Thicker blades then SlickTrick and you always here good things about them. Blades are difficult to sharpen but who cares if you are just replacing them.

Lukem

WKR
Don't overlook the ability to resharpen the ST's either. As long as the blades aren't bent they can be resharpened and live to kill again. Vice grips are handy.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Just like SDHNTR said up above in his post I have found that the 125 gr. vented VPA head makes a very noticeable hissing sound in flight. Don't use it anymore because of the sound. I bought both the solid and vented VPA's and love the solid 125 gr. Flies great for me and is tough as nails.

Slick tricks are a solid performer and my bh of choice for quite some time. VPA's solid performers also and basically bulletproof. My only point for consideration would also be the extra noise in flight generated by a vented head. If your taking longer shots on wired critters this could well be the difference between a harvest and a marginal shot. Just my 2 cents though. Either head is a solid performer with a slight accuracy edge to the slick tricks but strength edge to the VPA's. I guess that's part of the fun the testing and tuning gives us an excuse to get out of the house and leave the dramas of the day to day grind behind. All the best with your selection

Oops didnt notice the above posts re-noise in flight, sorry