Slow Down = Success

Beendare

WKR
Its true, when you are 'moving'....you aren't 'Seeing'

The best elk hunters I know employ both; Covering ground to find elk...and the spots they are using...and the ability to slow when they are into them.

Regarding slow down; I can give you 20 cases when I was calling for another hunter and he was out in front Fidgeting, moving around, turning his billed cap from side to side....and the bull coming in picked him off. The ability to hold still....and/or make slow deliberate movements is important when you have elk coming in.

___

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second Beendare on being still in the moment. I haven’t hunted elk before, but I do hunt white tails. Learning when it is ok to move a little, when to draw, reposition, etc. is one of the most difficult things in hunting, bow hunting specifically (unless you just wait until the animal is looking completely away which will end up with you not getting a shot sometimes when you could have). I think of how easily I can spot an animal, even one with amazing natural camouflage, when it moves and that makes me think how easy we hunters are to see when we move too. Complicated by the fact that you may have 10-12 or more elk all able to see you while you’re just trying to kill one animal in the group.

Thanks for posting this Trophy! Some great advice in here that reminds me to be slow most of the time and only to hurry when really necessary.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
Doing the last little prep before my 1st elk hunt, this strikes me. Being a "pre-rut" type of hunt I imagine this is the way I'm going to have those learning encounters. Always appreciate posts like this. Safe and successful hunting to all!