Small Diameter Front Fiber Optic Sight

OXN939

WKR
Took my western legal blackpowder rig out this evening for a bit of a full system op test. Basically, it's a CVA Optima shooting non-saboted Thors with an EABCO rear peep and Lyman globe front using the ultra fine reticle. I'm very glad I did, and hope this might be valuable for guys considering going with a globe sight to think about. Had a nice doe come into the stand of acorns I was hunting... and I literally could not get a good bead on her until she was 20 yards away. That setup with the rear peep plus enclosed front globe sight just kills light transmission- I kept looking over the sights, seeing individual tufts of hair off her coat, and then I'd look back through them and her outline disappeared. Quite disconcerting.

In any case, does anyone have recommendations for a nice, small diameter front fiber optic (or even Tritium) sight? I have one of the stock CVA front sights, but it's wide enough to obscure a deer sized vital area at 100.

Hunthigh1

WKR
I’ve been looking for the same thing. I broke the original and replaced it with one that seems too damned big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took my western legal blackpowder rig out this evening for a bit of a full system op test. Basically, it's a CVA Optima shooting non-saboted Thors with an EABCO rear peep and Lyman globe front using the ultra fine reticle. I'm very glad I did, and hope this might be valuable for guys considering going with a globe sight to think about. Had a nice doe come into the stand of acorns I was hunting... and I literally could not get a good bead on her until she was 20 yards away. That setup with the rear peep plus enclosed front globe sight just kills light transmission- I kept looking over the sights, seeing individual tufts of hair off her coat, and then I'd look back through them and her outline disappeared. Quite disconcerting.

In any case, does anyone have recommendations for a nice, small diameter front fiber optic (or even Tritium) sight? I have one of the stock CVA front sights, but it's wide enough to obscure a deer sized vital area at 100.
I also have a CVA Optima, and I use a Williams rear peep with the factory fiber optic front sight. I use the tip of the bead as my aiming point, so it doesn't obscure the target. I also had the same concerns about a non-fiber optic front sight, which is why I ended up just sticking with the factory front sight. I might try to find a smaller diameter one like you, but I'm fine with just sighting it in for the tip of the front sight too.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
just ordered this. Hope its the end all be all sight for this gun

That's the exact setup mine wears now. For spot and stalk stuff in open terrain, I'm sure it'd be fine. I've run a bunch of ranges with mine shooting water jugs etc out to 200. That hunt this week really did it for me, though. I had probably 5 shot opportunities under 100 yards I could have taken with the stock fiber optic irons that I could just not get a good enough feeling about before the doe finally walked almost under my stand. Under a canopy of trees anywhere near last light, though, I was amazed at just how useless they were.

Hunthigh1

WKR
I wondered about that. Bummer. . . maybe I can add some glow paint to the front cross hair to help with that?

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I wondered about that. Bummer. . . maybe I can add some glow paint to the front cross hair to help with that?
I actually tried that as well. No dice on my end, although you might be able to find something bright enough to work. I think there just has to be a lot of light in the equation for the reticle to show up with both the front and rear sights enclosed.

I've been thinking about setting up a muzzleloader for next fall with a Williams rear peep and the XS front post that Robby Denning used on his Knight mountaineer.

Has anyone tried this combination?

Hunthigh1

WKR
I've been thinking about setting up a muzzleloader for next fall with a Williams rear peep and the XS front post that Robby Denning used on his Knight mountaineer.

Has anyone tried this combination?
No. Their website doesn’t indicate CVA. Just knight and TC....maybe call em?

Rook-

FNG
I just picked up an Optima V2 for ID. I've been following posts on here and other muzzleloading forums for the best peep options. The Williams western set looked great for target work but iffy on low light conditions.
I ended up with the Traditions peep sight set that works for CVA and traditions. It's a Williams WGRS rear with a lower front fiber optic post in red. It should solve the too tall front sight issue. My plan is to zero with a 6 o'clock hold for best sight picture.
Best part is Sportsman's sells it $40 or about the same price as the rear sight elsewhere.

nphunter

WKR
It seems to me that for close shots you could just center the vitals in the scope and be fine?

I would think a person could do two things to address this and still use the globe. Probably the best would be to go to an archery shop and buy a replacement piece of fiber for a site. Either an .020 or .010 and drill the front site pin with a very small drill bit and slide in the fiber.
The second if that isn’t enough light would be to put a angled cut down the front of the site right up to where the cross hairs are, this would allow much more light in. A person cold just cut the half off square but I think an angle would be a ton more light and look better. Also painting the inside of the housing with white or silver paint would work well to add light. You could even cut or grind the knurled section off of the screw in part to let more light in.
94717E38-B226-4451-AE82-F288C2CC8148.jpeg
I’ll be drilling and putting small fiber in one of my inserts because I already have some on old archery sites. If it’s still too dark I’ll run the fiber and cut and paint the housing.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
There was a guy down south that was making the inserts for the Lyman site and I'll be damned if I can remember who it was I need more of them I have been searching for over a year to try and find who I bought them from last time I will update as soon as I find them

Carr5vols

WKR
I just picked up an Optima V2 for ID. I've been following posts on here and other muzzleloading forums for the best peep options. The Williams western set looked great for target work but iffy on low light conditions.
I ended up with the Traditions peep sight set that works for CVA and traditions. It's a Williams WGRS rear with a lower front fiber optic post in red. It should solve the too tall front sight issue. My plan is to zero with a 6 o'clock hold for best sight picture.
Best part is Sportsman's sells it $40 or about the same price as the rear sight elsewhere.
Rook did this combination work well for you.

Amantel12

FNG
It seems to me that for close shots you could just center the vitals in the scope and be fine?

I would think a person could do two things to address this and still use the globe. Probably the best would be to go to an archery shop and buy a replacement piece of fiber for a site. Either an .020 or .010 and drill the front site pin with a very small drill bit and slide in the fiber.
The second if that isn’t enough light would be to put a angled cut down the front of the site right up to where the cross hairs are, this would allow much more light in. A person cold just cut the half off square but I think an angle would be a ton more light and look better. Also painting the inside of the housing with white or silver paint would work well to add light. You could even cut or grind the knurled section off of the screw in part to let more light in.
View attachment 238703
I’ll be drilling and putting small fiber in one of my inserts because I already have some on old archery sites. If it’s still too dark I’ll run the fiber and cut and paint the housing.
Let me know how this works out for you. I’m curious and might try it out as well (terrible eyesight here!)

ToolMann

WKR
My plan is to try it with some spare .019 fiber I have from an old archery sight. Going to test on a spare insert first. Will let you know how it goes.

ToolMann

WKR
Alright, got my prototype done and plan to hunt with it this season. Then will make a better version after September. Drilled a .5mm hole (pain in the ass) through the top rounded part of the post. Slid in some .019 fiber, from breech side towards muzzle so the flared end stopped at the hole. Angled I'd down towards the muzzle end of the dovetail "mount" and affixed with a dab of JB Weld. Actually looks pretty clean. When I modify it I want to make it so I can remove the insert with fiber attached. Have a plan. But this works great for now.

Carr5vols

WKR
Alright, got my prototype done and plan to hunt with it this season. Then will make a better version after September. Drilled a .5mm hole (pain in the ass) through the top rounded part of the post. Slid in some .019 fiber, from breech side towards muzzle so the flared end stopped at the hole. Angled I'd down towards the muzzle end of the dovetail "mount" and affixed with a dab of JB Weld. Actually looks pretty clean. When I modify it I want to make it so I can remove the insert with fiber attached. Have a plan. But this works great for now.
Got any pics?

eltaco

WKR

Same here, I’d love to see pics.

Also curious since I’d love to do this… does it function as well as you’d like it to in the real world? Coming from archery, the size of front post is maddening… but maybe for good reason on a rifle?

ToolMann

WKR
Sorry, shouldn't have posted without pics. I haven't had it out in the forest yet (just put it together Sunday), but I did some testing in my backyard early this morning. Not as bright as I'd like, but definitely adds some contrast. In the sun it is super bright, as expected. Will do some more testing this weekend as the sun is rising/setting. I've contemplated drilling some holes in the top of the hood, but want to try another idea first. Not sure I'll have time prior to hunting season but developing something better, maybe even something to bring to market, is on my winter list. Definitely open to thoughts, etc. 20210810_093538.jpg20210810_093528.jpg20210810_093522.jpg