Small rifle for mid range hunting on large animals

I'm dreaming and may or may not purchase a new rifle but frankly, I'm tired of 26" barrels I am looking for rifle and caliber options:
I want a caliber that is adequate (read, OVERLY adequate is best) on Elk to 550; Mulies to 650; paper to 750.
Gun and scope for 2k total (assume a V4 or VX5 so deduct ~800 leaving me 1200 for the gun)
I'd really like to stay around 22" barrel length
I normally shoot an x-bolt 28 nosler with no brake and I don't plan on having one for this either. So recoil needs to be 28 or less (little closer to a 7 mag would be better)
not looking ultra light but I want a gun that's smaller/lighter/handier than my 28.
I'll have a friend develop a load for me so factory ammo isn't necessary but would be a nice option.

What are my options? Do I even have any? 7 saum? 300 wsm?
280 Ackley or 6.5 PRC. I like christensen, so the mesa would be in your price range. Anything with an eldm or tmk would fit the bill. I see you are in cali tho, so you are probably limited to monos. I don’t shoot those anymore, so not much help there.

frogman43

FNG
Might I suggest that you look up Kelbly's Koda rifle in 6.5 PRC? For the money, I can't see how it can be beat. Love mine, and I haven't even finished load development all the way yet.

Wrench

WKR
I'd lose the need for reading the headstamp and pay attention to impact velocity and bullet performance/upset. Form gave a good hint based on his experience and mine mimics his....and I assure you we, and several others have proved this to much closer to double your expectations.

OP
Banded_spooney
Browning X Bolt Speed 300WSM.

You'll thank me later.
I see you like to shoot mallards with an SX2. As you can see, I prefer to shoot spooneys with an M2 but I'm kinda thinking we are kindred spirits.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Cutting a barrel is easy. Flutes are bad cosmetically for chopping, but not an issue mechanically.

So, find what you want, then take a hacksaw to any excess barrel. Makes at least one less criteria while shopping.

Edit: The above does not apply to carbon wrapped barrels, hopefully that is obvious.

I would say if you already have the components for the 18 and don't mind the recoil without a brake then why deviate from that round.

I have a 22" 28 nosler that shoots slow, but accurate 2900fps 195 berger, not heavy, but about perfect between 9 and 10 pounds whether you have bi pod on or off. This could be done lighter, but is very capable of shooting accurately to a mile or more on target.

You could either rebuild your browning or sell and have a build done, or keep browning and do another 28.

My 2 cents

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
6.8 western or 6.5 prc.

Both can reach out and are very flat shooters.

The 28 nosler is my favorite big game round but it is over $6.00 per round for top notch ammo. Just not going there.

The thread title couldn’t suggest a larger caliber any more. And by the OP’s stated preference for an ‘overly adequate’ cartridge, I’d suggest 280 AI or 300 WSM. The 7 PRC looks interesting and may be worth waiting for. Any of those will still run well in a relatively shorter barrel and be a great set up with a suppressor.

woods89

WKR
I'd lose the need for reading the headstamp and pay attention to impact velocity and bullet performance/upset. Form gave a good hint based on his experience and mine mimics his....and I assure you we, and several others have proved this to much closer to double your expectations.
Yup.
6.5/260

Loper

WKR
If you like Browning's, they announced a suppressor ready line of shorter barrel rifles.

This is great! I didn’t realize they had this short barreled, SR line. Now if they would just make it in left hand….

Chuckybmd

WKR
How about a 7 mm 08? You can get a little more kinetic energy, Shoot bigger bullets when compared to the Creedmoor. Similar overall trajectory (speaking in generalities).

Personally, I am a fan of the .284 class and by that I mean 28 Nosler seven mag 280 Ai and 7 mm 08.

For a long time I would only use my 7 mag, but now carry my 7mm08 whenever possible. Within the yardage you specified 7 mm 08 would take the cake.

I have it in a tikka T3 X stainless model. Love it to death, definitely would fit your price requirements.

bmicek

WKR
How about a 7 mm 08? You can get a little more kinetic energy, Shoot bigger bullets when compared to the Creedmoor. Similar overall trajectory (speaking in generalities).

Personally, I am a fan of the .284 class and by that I mean 28 Nosler seven mag 280 Ai and 7 mm 08.

For a long time I would only use my 7 mag, but now carry my 7mm08 whenever possible. Within the yardage you specified 7 mm 08 would take the cake.

I have it in a tikka T3 X stainless model. Love it to death, definitely would fit your price requirements.
You make me feel a little better about getting rid of my 280ai for a 7mm-08 (7mm-08 was shorter/lighter which is what I desired).

OP
Banded_spooney

I actually have a Rugar American in 7mm08. I won it at a Cal Waterfowl dinner. It’s sitting in the safe waiting for the eldest to come of age.

Maybe I should put a scope on it and see how it shoots…

Chuckybmd

WKR
I actually have a Rugar American in 7mm08. I won it at a Cal Waterfowl dinner. It’s sitting in the safe waiting for the eldest to come of age.

Maybe I should put a scope on it and see how it shoots…
It will be a good gun for that. You might actually really like it yourself to be honest. I know I was surprised.

EmperorMA

WKR
If you like Browning's, they announced a suppressor ready line of shorter barrel rifles.

One of these in 6.8 Western would do nicely.

Now you have me wanting one in .300 PRC!

Well I will toss in my .02. I had a Tikka T3 in 30-06 that Hill Country Rifles built up but it kicked like a mule. I sold it and bought a Fierce 6.5 CM and liked it so much I bought a Fierce 300 PRC. The 300 PRC does not kick like the 30-06 did for some reason. Fast forward to 2022 and an upcoming elk hunt on a steep and wet island in Alaska. I bought a Seekins Havoc Element in 6.5 PRC and weighs in 5.5 pounds with a 21 inch barrel. I have carried the Tikka and a Fierce on the island twice and I just wanted something shorter and lighter. I plan to load up 156 Bergers. I am not the tag holder and would only be a back up. Blah Blah Blah to answer your question Id buy the Seekins Element in the caliber you want if you can find one. It is crazy to see how compact and light it is.