Smoky Mountain Black Bear versus Wild Boar

Moserkr

WKR
I dont think that hog was hit by a car. It moved all its legs in the fight but seemed plain worn out. Pig may be strong, but not like that bear. Ill never forget skinning my first bear, the muscles of its forearms are incredible. That pig is good sized judging by its tusks and body, but that bear is much bigger. I have seen pigzilla’s much bigger though, in which id it put in favor of over the bear, but they arent that common.

Spoonbill

WKR
Here is a good video showing the bear taking down the hog (not sure if this was the same as shared earlier).
It looks like the bear knew how to take down the hog, you can see the bear wrap it's forearms around the hogs head at one point in the video. My guess is this bear has a steady diet of pork. Pretty impressive either way, towards the end you can hear someone cheering on the hog, thought that was funny.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
The point I'm trying make is that bear could never catch and kill a healthy hog of that size. A healthy hog would rip that bear to shreds. The hog had to have been hit by a car.
Smaller to medium dogs bay up and catch hogs all the time. It's silly to think a bear like that couldn't easily bay up a hog and catch it by the neck just like it had it there.

Great video. Both are large for their species. It was clear the bear had the advantage, not to mention his weight bearing down on top of that boar. Thanks for sharing that Wildlife battle. I agree with the others. That boar will be dinner shortly.

Loper

WKR
Makes you wonder if that happens more often than we know, just not caught on camera.

Was it a chance encounter and opportunistic, or did one of them purposely go after the other?

OP
SMOKYMTN

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Makes you wonder if that happens more often than we know, just not caught on camera.

Was it a chance encounter and opportunistic, or did one of them purposely go after the other?

I guarantee it. The Smokies are rather vast, especially on my side (North Carolina) where there are few roads and little to no development directly joining the National Park. Human interaction mainly happens around camp sites. There are hogs here, although not as dense, they can get big. Some folks down near Balsam Grove killed one that tipped the scales at over 700lbs.

Loper

WKR
I guarantee it. The Smokies are rather vast, especially on my side (North Carolina) where there are few roads and little to no development directly joining the National Park. Human interaction mainly happens around camp sites. There are hogs here, although not as dense, they can get big. Some folks down near Balsam Grove killed one that tipped the scales at over 700lbs.

707 lbs!!! Wow, that’s a big hog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That hog looked like he was just worn out, but not previously injured. That bear looked a little spent too, which is impressive as they have great endurance. Pig was just out matched in every way, still put up an impressive fight against a predator twice its size.

Jbogg

FNG
I hunt national forest in the mountains on the Georgia side. Some of those mountain hogs get absolutely huge. I’m guessing some of them live so far back in those mountains that they rarely see a hunter allowing them to grow large. I’ve shot one probably around 350 pounds, and a couple of more right around 300. I’m 6’ 5”, and 220 for a size reference. i’ve heard plenty of locals say that a big boar hog is the one thing a bear will not mess with. Guessing the one in the video wasn’t quite big enough.BF1A8A83-6549-4B04-AC2B-2449B7B32A4B.jpeg5556087D-2AC8-4C57-B3DF-D7FA4815CE3D.jpegED830F35-DAE3-4FD9-B201-7F582AC944C8.jpeg

Last edited: