Snowbirds

cnelk

WKR
Anyone here do the 'snowbird' thing?
Go someplace warmer [south] for a few months in the winter and go back North in the summer?

Pros & Cons?

Phaseolus

WKR
I spent 4 weeks in Thailand this December, next time it will be longer and include Vietnam. we’ve spent our winter in New Zealand before, it was awesome.

Weldor

WKR
We're run over with the winter migration down here. It's like L. A. moves here for the winter. The Gulf Coast is much better. Seen lots of Colorado plates this year too.

My parents migrate to Arizona from Iowa for the winter.

You don't strike me as much of a golfer though.

This will be my plan. I want to get a boat big enough to travel from somewhere in the gulf to the Caribbean and fish/island hop. With Starlink this is becoming more doable with my work.

Hnthrdr

WKR
My pops is going to snow bird now I think from Arvada to Scottsdale. In laws all live in Prescott and Kirkland, I like that area a lot, can coyote hunt kick around the mountains ect… I’m about 35-40 years from thinking about it, I think I’d want ocean fishing so the gulf maybe… or northern az is pretty mild

3forks

WKR
I’ve been all over in Mexico, and this year spent Christmas week in Loreto.

I’ve never seen more plates from Alberta, BC, North and South Dakota, and eastern Montana other than when I was in those respective provinces or states.

The people I spoke to said their lives were great in Mexico, and then they‘d go home for the summers. Everyone I spoke with said there was nothing challenging about living down there and wished they had moved when they were younger.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I’ll be that annoying guy on the internet, probably as usual haha. It’s important to think about what snowbirds do to local housing. If people can’t hack the winter where they live then move to California or Florida permanently and free up real estate for the working class. I’ve had to live next to snow birds in AZ and ID, they don’t care much about either community other than their ability to golf.

Weldor

WKR
They rape the birds on real estate. It’s sad what they are willing to pay. You would think at that age they would know better.

Just had some friends go to Thailand as well for part of the Northern Minnesota winter (mild this year). They said it was really nice . Lots of folks go south from here . They all come back tan and happy while the rest of us are grouchy dealing with cabin fever. Most i see start out a couple weeks leaving and then year after year it turns to months with some splitting time 50/50. Sounds good to me

jmez

WKR
A large % of my clients spend at least a month down south. In talking to them the list of pros is long. The cons, they waited too long to start doing this. They didn't leave early enough. They came back too early.

Honestly, the only con I hear is traffic around Phoenix.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Anyone do the ‘Red Neck Riveria’?
(Gulf coast of Florida/Alabama/Mississippi/Texas

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We are close to full time Wyoming while the kids are on summer break. We’ll see how that plays out when they get a few years older and have to take friends into account over their summer breaks. It’s nice getting out of the AZ heat for a couple months.

pirogue

WKR
Cons: you’re constantly cussed because you disrupt the normal flow. Everything to hoarding groceries, making wait times longer in all kinds of businesses, from restaurants to dog grooming, etc. You Yankees stay away.