Snowshoes

peterk123

WKR
Any of you guys snowshoeing in Montana, Idaho, Utah or Wyoming during the off season? If so, what snowshoes are working the best for you? Thx Pete

Consider the type of terrain you want to be in. If it’s steep off trail etc etc then the MSR is worth it. If you are hiking trails or closed roads just about anything will do. Also I have some Costco snowshoes with lifters that I have taken some stupid stupid places. Not as good as the MSR on my friends. But it got the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
The military surplus ones with the magnesium frame and steel cable live in my truck from November to April. I don’t like going straight uphill with them, but they float great.

E6ylK

FNG
Altia Hoks with universal bindings

I have the 125cm Hoks and they work great, but are super dangerous downhill on the icy consolidated PNW snow. The universal bindings don’t give enough control to dig in your edges to turn, stop or even snowplow, which has lead me to plop over before building too much speed. Having a telemark background left me a bit unsatisfied, or maybe expecting too much, but to no fault of the skis. The nice folks at Altai will tell you just as much too, and will recommend using them with real bindings and boots if that’s your intention.

I mostly value using regular boots for use at the destination and you can cover an impressive amount of ground with these without much effort. I’d still buy the same setup again, without reservations, but know they won’t work like a real ski setup. I’d casually rate them worth about 5 times the distance you can cover in snowshoes, if going uphill, flat or rolling. I’ll carry snowshoes just for long or steep downhill sections, though admittedly, my big issues with downhill have mostly been when towing a pulk, and also in the trees or on tight fire roads.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had atlas montages for a few years, the crampon is good, bonding is easy to deal with and they have a heel lifter built in.

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another vote for the MSR Lightning Ascents. If you are in steep stuff or do a lot of bushwacking, they are great! If you are going to be on trails or other maintained stuff with not a lot of climbing, they are probably overkill and a pair of Yukon Charlies or Sams/Costco snowshoes should work just fine.

GWT

FNG
I don’t snowshoe in the west but i snowshoe in Wisconsin and last year I got some northern lites that I’ve really liked. They work good and are lightweight.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
Lightening Ascents appear to receive praise for functioning well in almost all conditions. I have zero interest in using snowshoes on any type of used or groomed trails. Never understood the purpose of that. I can cover much more ground with my hiking boots. These will be used solely in the mountains for scouting/photography or possibly on a snowy lake to go ice fishing.

I was just watching a photography vid on youtube. Professional photographer in Yellowstone Park. He was trying to trudge through the snow with snowshoes barley larger than his boots. Never understood the logic of snowshoes like that. Seems more fashion than function at that point.

ezwy

FNG
I would love a pair of lightning ascents, but I’m cheap. Just got a pair of tubbs flex snowshoes half off because they are some limited edition or something. Hard to beat for 150$.
Only downside is they only had the 25” and not the 30s in stock. They are great with the spring snow, but pretty small for powdery stuff.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lightning Ascents
c426f42d8d5d28ce91567b65380f170e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you with experience on the MSR Lightning Ascent, can you pack heavy loads (meat) without worrying about breaking them? They’re advertised for max weight of 180 pounds.

I have zero snowshoe experience but am going to be getting some soon specifically for backcountry hunting.

Edit: the 30-in model advertises 280-lb load. I guess that is what I am after, correct?

Thanks.