solar power options??

DRUSS

WKR
i am planning on trying a solar charging setup of some sort this year. currently don't own any. looking at goal zero nomad panel. was wondering what others have used and what are you guys using for battery storage?? i will be using to charge my phone and headlamp.
thanks

I will be pairing a Sun tactics solar panel with a Dark Energy battery. Read really great things about both those products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a PowerFilm 10w panel and some type of external battery. It has worked wonderfully and reliably over the past 3-4 years.

I will be pairing a Sun tactics solar panel with a Dark Energy battery. Read really great things about both those products.

I own a dark energy charger and trust me you'll love it. I have a iPhone 6S+ one of the harder ones far as charging goes (use airplane mode it's faster to charge) but the dark energy charger recharged my iPhone 4 full times before beginning to need recharging itself, note I said beginning, still didn't kill it completely after 4 charges.

I am thinking of trying the BioLite Solar Panel 5 or 5+. Lower weight than I've seen from other options. Seems to have good reviews from what I've seen. I'm looking for something to bring on a fishing trip up to Canada this fall.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find one in stock, I would go with the new Goal Zero Nomad 7 Plus.. They re-did the Nomad to take a lot more abuse, and it's extremely light. For storage, I have the Goal Zero Venture 30: Goal Zero Venture 30 Recharger

It's a bit more pricey, but surprisingly worth it. It takes a beating and you can daisy chain it to other chargers which not a lot of chargers will do.

Shraggs

WKR
I take a miniature cpap machine hunting so I have to have power. I use two goal zero Sherpa 50s and a nomad 20. Last year I used the nomad 13 cause it was lighter, but it has borderline charge to bring Sherpa 50 up with good conditions. The larger nomad 20 can charge almost twice as fast, so in field conditions probability of a full charge is excellent. Nomad 20 is a pound and a half, the 13 is right a pound. For me having sleep apnea it is worth 8 more oz to insure I can power my cpap.

John

mcseal2

WKR
I really like the Venture 30. It will charge my I phone 5 several times and it works with my MMX-R flashlight also. I used it last night to run a little USB powered fan in my Megatarp while camping and catfishing when the breeze died and I was ready for sleep. I usually can just charge it off the vehicle and throw it in my pack though for my trips, I have a Nomad 13 to charge it but haven't used it much. The Venture 30 works good keeping the Goal Zero lantern topped off through my camping and fishing trips also.

kodiakfly

WKR
Just ordered a Venture 30 kit, not having read this. The numbers are good and the weatherproof rating is what sold me. I'll be using it in two weeks for a three day trip and see how it works.

I take a miniature cpap machine hunting so I have to have power. I use two goal zero Sherpa 50s and a nomad 20. Last year I used the nomad 13 cause it was lighter, but it has borderline charge to bring Sherpa 50 up with good conditions. The larger nomad 20 can charge almost twice as fast, so in field conditions probability of a full charge is excellent. Nomad 20 is a pound and a half, the 13 is right a pound. For me having sleep apnea it is worth 8 more oz to insure I can power my cpap.

John

Ya, I camp with a CPAP too. If I'm packing light I take a Sherpa 100 and a Nomad 20 panel, if not I take the same panel but a Yeti 150. Both work really well. Here's a video I did on CPAP and solar options: Camping Options: CPAP Machine, Battery and Solar from Goal Zero - YouTube