Solvid

Anyone tried the Solvid head strap for self filming? Not concerned with how goofy I’ll look lol. Been looking for an easy way to capture my hunts and I’m thinking about going this route. Will mostly be used saddle hunting whitetail. Pros/Cons?

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one a couple years ago. Like any action cam your cons are lack of zoom, and your head movement. There's no great way to self film. Anything over 20 yards you'll struggle to see and your head moves more than you'd think. If I am in a tree stand I still use a treepod allowing me to zoom and adjust the angle until I'm ready to shoot. I'm not at a point that I will sacrifice a shot at an elk for footage and I thought the solvid system would give me the best chance to get elk shot footage with minimal messing around in the moment of truth. I haven't used it a lot due to me helping buddies more than hunting myself.

OP
SmokyMtnHunter
I’m right there with you on not passing up a shot just to get footage. I’m really not interested in making videos for YouTube or anything like that. I just want to film for myself and document my hunt. Maybe share the footage back at camp or with my son (until he’s big enough to hit the mountains with me). My hope was with the Solvid that I would always be videoing where I was looking and given that it’s recording with an actual camcorder as opposed to an action cam that I could edit the “zoom” in after the fact?

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Tough to do even with a high end camcorder you'll be pretty limited. The advantage of the solvid is you can quickly take it on and off when you aren't worried about shooting and use the zoom. That is your big advantage over any action cam, and will be 90+% of your footage.