Something you wish you started earlier

TAS95

FNG
New guy here, about 3 weeks in with a PSE stinger given to me by my father in law. Goal is to get somewhat proficient and start hunting with it next fall. Any advice or practice strategies you wish you were told early on? Planning on picking up a tension release but other than that flying by the seat of my pants. Thanks in advance

I feel that Joel Turner’s Shot IQ course is about the best $250 you can spend to help get you off on the right foot. Archery is — more than anything — a mental game, and Joel communicates how to get control of it better than anyone I’ve seen.

OP
T

TAS95

FNG
Thanks everyone! @Arrow4Christ Seen some of Joel Turner’s shot IQ stuff online and it seems like really all about building blocks mentally. Could definitely see a massive benefit to that.

@TheBootBowhunting Have only been using the dominant eye. Will definitely try both open.

OP
T

TAS95

FNG
Don't go down the crazy arrow building train. Get a decent broadhead, moderate weight arrow and stop thinking about it unless it's actually a problem.
Needed to hear this. My tinkerer brain is going to try and shoot me down that path at some point lol

Duh

WKR
Find a good setup for arrows, buy a couple dozen of them and a set or two of quality strings. Shoot the piss out of them.

Bump79

WKR
Needed to hear this. My tinkerer brain is going to try and shoot me down that path at some point lol
For sure! The honest truth is there is only a marginal gain from a pretty damn good setup to a premium. Like a couple percent theoretical increase in lethality.

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Traditional archery. I’m still not to the point to where I feel comfortable shooting at a live animal. But it’s fun.

Not shooting front stabilizer on my hunting rig. What a weight saver and one less thing to come loose, get in the way.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I came here to suggest seeing a coach and someone has already done that. Go see George Ryals in the Atlanta area or find out where he's doing a seminar. That will lessen your learning curve. https://www.extramiddle.com/

I had no idea he's a world renowned coach. I just happened to stumble across his youtube videos.

Last edited:

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
New guy here, about 3 weeks in with a PSE stinger given to me by my father in law. Goal is to get somewhat proficient and start hunting with it next fall. Any advice or practice strategies you wish you were told early on? Planning on picking up a tension release but other than that flying by the seat of my pants. Thanks in advance
Check out FORLOH:

GMann

FNG
The above answers are all solid, Id add that if you dont already shoot with both eyes open, take the time to train yourself to do that while you are learning everything else. Its a night and day difference.
Ditto! There may be some growing pains with this but both eyes open is a game changer!

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

DanimalW

WKR
Pulling through shot with back muscles to trigger release. I never shot poorly punching an index trigger with my finger, so it was hard to change because my shooting got a little bit worse before it got better.

Professional instruction to form a solid foundation (in person or online) and exercises for shoulder stability/strength.

Shosky

FNG
After you get proficient with shooting, I would recommend taking a Joel Turner ShotIQ class, in person at a bow range. Next best thing would be to take his class online.