South Dakota Pheasant Report?

jmez

WKR
I don't know about Winner area. Most of the state is having a great year for birds so hatches have been good. Reports from everywhere with pheasants have been up. I would assume winner is no different.

I was told the public walk-in land was cut for hay and some was grazed I don’t know how true it is was curious myself. Any help would be much appreciated making a trip up there for the first time.

KurtR

WKR
I was told the public walk-in land was cut for hay and some was grazed I don’t know how true it is was curious myself. Any help would be much appreciated making a trip up there for the first time.
Depends on what part of the state up in my part there want any cut for hay

Depends on what part of the state up in my part there want any cut for hay
We are down to 3 different areas Aberdeen,Huron,Watertown? Just trying to experience what everybody says about SD and trying to experience new landscape.

KurtR

WKR
We are down to 3 different areas Aberdeen,Huron,Watertown? Just trying to experience what everybody says about SD and trying to experience new landscape.
Watertown its where i grew up and if you want ducks and geese pheasants not so much. Go west to redfield over there and it gets better.

Huron dont know about how much public land but know a bunch of birds get killed in that general area.

Aberdeen public land gets hit hard. If i was planning to go over there i would be looking at the cabin @dukxdog has and hunt around there.

The time of year you are coming would also make where to go important.

I would rather hunt later in the year less pressure less crops and birds will be in cover if we get some snow

Watertown its where i grew up and if you want ducks and geese pheasants not so much. Go west to redfield over there and it gets better.

Huron dont know about how much public land but know a bunch of birds get killed in that general area.

Aberdeen public land gets hit hard. If i was planning to go over there i would be looking at the cabin @dukxdog has and hunt around there.

The time of year you are coming would also make where to go important.

I would rather hunt later in the year less pressure less crops and birds will be in cover if we get some snow
The plan is the second week of November drive up on a Tuesday hunt Wednesday- Friday

KurtR

WKR
Says it starts November 18th. Question for you sir is the public land around Huron and Aberdeen hit hard throughout the week?
Yes but there is plenty that if some on is at a spot you can move on to the next one. Knocking on doors isnt a bad thing worst they can say is no.

Yes but there is plenty that if some on is at a spot you can move on to the next one. Knocking on doors isnt a bad thing worst they can say is no.
Would you hunt grain fields that time of year or CRP more?

KurtR

WKR
Would you hunt grain fields that time of year or CRP more?
Won’t be any fields left by then unless the 3 inches of rain they are getting right now keeps them from harvesting. I would hunt edges of cover and crp in the evening. Also depends on if you have a dog or not.

Won’t be any fields left by then unless the 3 inches of rain they are getting right now keeps them from harvesting. I would hunt edges of cover and crp in the evening. Also depends on if you have a dog or not.
Plan on bringing 2 dogs with us. I apologize for all the questions just started reading on this page one day and you guys really help people out who have serious questions, so I decided to make a profile and ask people like you guys for tips and help for us guys trying to adventure out and not just hunt in the OK panhandle and Kansas. I really appreciate all the help and I'm sure I'll be in touch.

KurtR

WKR
Plan on bringing 2 dogs with us. I apologize for all the questions just started reading on this page one day and you guys really help people out who have serious questions, so I decided to make a profile and ask people like you guys for tips and help for us guys trying to adventure out and not just hunt in the OK panhandle and Kansas. I really appreciate all the help and I'm sure I'll be in touch.
No problem. You will find birds. Good luck any other questions hit me up.

jmez

WKR
Season isn't open. If they were pheasant hunting it was all released birds on a preserve.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Season isn't open. If they were pheasant hunting it was all released birds on a preserve.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Resident only season is this weekend. They beat them up pretty good around here

Bobopy

FNG
Numbers I'm hearing from GFP and others sound good - and I can say I've seen plenty the last month or so.

NESD - Aberdeen to Watertown area

Should get plenty of birds when you come.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget your skunk kits. Cousin's dog got sprayed on Sunday morning.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Numbers I'm hearing from GFP and others sound good - and I can say I've seen plenty the last month or so.

NESD - Aberdeen to Watertown area

Should get plenty of birds when you come.

Good to hear. Thanks. Heading to that area for the opener.

Good luck to all!