South Dakota Rifle draw results

Fatcamp

WKR
Trials and tribulations of a bonus point system. Just no telling what will happen.

I drew a random deer tag in Wyoming this year with 2.5% chance and a leftover cow elk tag in South Dakota with about 6% chance. Bet that Wyoming tag pissed a bunch of people off.

OP
Timberline001
Trials and tribulations of a bonus point system. Just no telling what will happen.

I drew a random deer tag in Wyoming this year with 2.5% chance and a leftover cow elk tag in South Dakota with about 6% chance. Bet that Wyoming tag pissed a bunch of people off.
Went from left over tags last year for a doe tag to 14.6% chance of drawing without points. Crazy

Trees91

WKR
I blew 5 years preference for my west river any deer. Drew any whitetail east river without any points....third year in a row. Been lucky I guess.

I guess the point to my gripe probably could’ve been explained better, it seems like with the increased demand I am seeing this year for SD nonresident tags I think that our bonus points are going to start meaning less and less. The same thing has happened in multiple other states with bonus points, the system becomes so flooded with chances in the hat held by people at lower point levels that even though you are getting more chances each year your odds of drawing are actually going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
I guess the point to my gripe probably could’ve been explained better, it seems like with the increased demand I am seeing this year for SD nonresident tags I think that our bonus points are going to start meaning less and less. The same thing has happened in multiple other states with bonus points, the system becomes so flooded with chances in the hat held by people at lower point levels that even though you are getting more chances each year your odds of drawing are actually going down.

If your odds are going down each year in SD, it's because of the applicants above you and their cubed points. It would take 331 brand new applicants to do as much damage to your odds as one person going from 10 to 11 points. Sure, a slug of new applicants definitely hurts odds, but the cubed points are an absolute killer for anyone except the very highest point holders.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, cubing is a huge benefit once you have a few points. Still, luck of the draw.

Random question, does SD allow group applications? I’m still trying to figure out how 5 people out of 17 at 2 pts draw while only 3 out of 33 in the 3-7 points pools draw. I understand random luck but that is a mathematical anomaly that just doesn’t make any sense to me. It would make a lot more sense if a group of 5 at 2 pts drew together or something

Fatcamp

WKR
Once you are above two points you are in the draw, with points cubed, and anything can happen. SD does have party applications, but I don't know much about them as we don't do it.

Fatcamp

WKR
If you want to see goofiness look at the results for the elk draw. Some looking shots for tags in those reports.

Once you are above two points you are in the draw, with points cubed, and anything can happen. SD does have party applications, but I don't know much about them as we don't do it.

I understand how the draw works but the mathematical probability of ~60% of the tags coming from ~33% of the pool are extremely low, especially when that 33% is the lowest level pointholders in the pool

Random question, does SD allow group applications? I’m still trying to figure out how 5 people out of 17 at 2 pts draw while only 3 out of 33 in the 3-7 points pools draw. I understand random luck but that is a mathematical anomaly that just doesn’t make any sense to me. It would make a lot more sense if a group of 5 at 2 pts drew together or something

It’s my understanding that SD does allow group applications but the party only goes into the draw with the points of the lowest applicant in the group. No points are shared or averaged.
Which to me is a bummer as I have 10 BH points and 10 WR points and would share them if I could. 😁

So I did some rough math and based on the numbers the odds of any 1 applicant with 2 points drawing in that particular unit should’ve been about 0.3% on any given tag. So the odds of 5 of those hitting on 8 tries is so low as to be completely unrealistic

Fatcamp

WKR
I understand how the draw works but the mathematical probability of ~60% of the tags coming from ~33% of the pool are extremely low, especially when that 33% is the lowest level pointholders in the pool

Ya, that pesky probability, low but not impossible. You could try calling to ask, but I highly doubt you will get a real response.

So I did some rough math and based on the numbers the odds of any 1 applicant with 2 points drawing in that particular unit should’ve been about 0.3% on any given tag. So the odds of 5 of those hitting on 8 tries is so low as to be completely unrealistic

The maximum number of applications in a group is 6 people so a group of 5 with 2 points could’ve drawn.