SpaceX Starlink Internet Service

Bluumoon

WKR
Have you been to Durango lately? My suggestion, don't. It's a f'n S&$#Show. Way to big for it's britches nowadays. Over it, but holding as my home value will probably 10x in 20 years.

I am on the starlink waitlist and received and email saying that i could either wait til 2023 or get the RV version and have no wait time. Basically it would not guarantee service as a priority user and default my use to a lower speed tier when the bandwidth is maximized in my region, usually during peak hours. I'm thinking I'll just wait. Has anyone opted for this RV service and if so, do you think its worth it?

Seems like a WY pay to draw special or save some money in regular and eventually draw. When is elon gonna start a preference point system, LOL?
Moved over here from Durango last fall, I got Starlink when I lived out by Elmores corner, but I think I was pretty early to request it. Not sure how slow your current internet is, best I could get when I was there was 10mbps, I'd venture the RV service would still blow that out of the water.

N.ID7803

WKR
I got the same email but it didn't say I would have to wait until 2023. Im in the blob in Idaho on the waitlist, have been for almost a year now. Im hoping Elon comes through soon!

Moved over here from Durango last fall, I got Starlink when I lived out by Elmores corner, but I think I was pretty early to request it. Not sure how slow your current internet is, best I could get when I was there was 10mbps, I'd venture the RV service would still blow that out of the water.
I'm working with 1.5 up at Purg. Anything to get rid of Century Link.

I got the same email but it didn't say I would have to wait until 2023. Im in the blob in Idaho on the waitlist, have been for almost a year now. Im hoping Elon comes through soon!
When I put down my deposit, it stated and still does on my acct that i would have to wait til 2023. The RV version is ready to ship now. I'm sure there are higher fees involved also for roaming.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got mine. I originally got if for our lake house in Eastern Washington that was available for the service. I started looking into it and my primary residence was about 500 yards outside of there "available" map, so I opted for the Portability option and thought I would try it at our primary residence. So far this week it has worked at my primary house. They make it difficult to run it at two residences, even if you pay for it. Having to pack the dish back and forth will get old. Hopefully down the road you can buy an extra dish. The router isn't a big deal, but the dish would get annoying quick.

The speed is great, I have the TV and 2 phones on it. No speed differences noticed when compared to our current comcast service that costs about double.

Bluumoon

WKR
When I put down my deposit, it stated and still does on my acct that i would have to wait til 2023. The RV version is ready to ship now. I'm sure there are higher fees involved also for roaming.
I think it was $120 a month vs $105. It'll do way better than your current.

Anybody figure out if one can upgrade the RV to homebase account when homebase becomes available?
Is the equipment different or is the RV downgrade just a licensing/software deal?
I saw "late 2022" availability for my area.

I don't really need the mobile capabilities and probably would just install the RV system as a homebase.
My Centurylink DSL delivers what dialup advertises, so the secondary priority would still be a big upgrade.

hunterjmj

WKR
We've had it for 2 months now and love it. We're fairly rural with 1 tv, 3 iPads and 2 phones. It's lightning fast, so far no down time and it was plug and play. Was very happy to terminate service with CenturyLink.

Scorpion

WKR
Anybody figure out if one can upgrade the RV to homebase account when homebase becomes available?
Is the equipment different or is the RV downgrade just a licensing/software deal?
I saw "late 2022" availability for my area.

I don't really need the mobile capabilities and probably would just install the RV system as a homebase.
My Centurylink DSL delivers what dialup advertises, so the secondary priority would still be a big upgrade.

The RV mobility option is the upgrade, it’s just a $25 monthly fee that can be activated or deactivated as needed and billed in monthly installments. Kind of like a “pay as you go” or “as needed”. Equipment is the same though it appears they do have a couple variations in the antenna/tripod setups.

We switched to T Mobil home internet. Unbelievably fast and $50/month. Like 350-500down and 17-28up. It has been life changing for us. Cancelled my Starlink order last week when they emailed me it was ready for shipment.

jaytaylor

Lil-Rokslider
We are somewhat rural here in New Mexico. CenturyLink won't upgrade the 60 year old copper running down the road, so our service has been limited to about 6Mbps. Not good when there are multiple folks working from home and zooming. Put the deposit down for Starlink just about a year ago, got notified about a month ago that the equipment was going to ship. Everything went as planned. It's on the roof now, and I have seen it burst to 172Mbps down. It's not a dedicated pipe, it bursts to what you need. We have 8 devices on it and while it has not been flawless, you can count the outages in seconds over the last month. Four neighbors are getting it too, in fact I have installed three of them already. It's about $110/month now. Equipment was around $500 as I recall. My Viasat neighbors are so happy to be done with limits - there are none currently on STarlink. There's my report.

We switched to T Mobil home internet. Unbelievably fast and $50/month. Like 350-500down and 17-28up. It has been life changing for us. Cancelled my Starlink order last week when they emailed me it was ready for shipment.
But is T mobile only available where they have service towers? Sorry if that’s dumb, already answered question.
Just asking. Cause we’re only Verizon in sw CO. I’m on the waitlist for SL, considering RV service cause it available now

Paradox

FNG
But is T mobile only available where they have service towers? Sorry if that’s dumb, already answered question.
Just asking. Cause we’re only Verizon in sw CO. I’m on the waitlist for SL, considering RV service cause it available now
I just had a chat with T mobile they said typical 37-115 download speeds.
not even close to fast!

I’ve had it for a year or more. It works much better than what I had and is super easy to set up . You do need a pretty clear view of the sky with trees
We've had our Starlink dish since January of 2021, first batch of them as far as I know.

NW WA, not far from the Cascades -- only option when we moved out here was DSL, even in 2021. ViaSat and others told us too many tall pine and other obstructions in close proximity for Satellite to be effective. Our Starlink app still shows ~10% obstructions most of the time, which will worsen with time as the trees grow I'm sure.

I put the Starlink dish on the roof and we've only ever lost internet connection during thunderstorms or extremely intense prolonged rains. We average 115-200 Mbps down on most days, with ~15 Mbps down during storms or heavy traffic times.

Runs an Xbox (Streaming Video), Desktop PC (Gaming), 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, a Smart TV, and Smart Appliances no problem. Even get perfect WiFi coverage ~100 yards away in the barn.

Our major concern now is China talking about how they're going to potentially start blasting StarLink satellites out of orbit due to the perceived "threat".

Great internet service though, better than the Comcast clowns we dealt with in the city...

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We've had our Starlink dish since January of 2021, first batch of them as far as I know.

NW WA, not far from the Cascades -- only option when we moved out here was DSL, even in 2021. ViaSat and others told us too many tall pine and other obstructions in close proximity for Satellite to be effective. Our Starlink app still shows ~10% obstructions most of the time, which will worsen with time as the trees grow I'm sure.

I put the Starlink dish on the roof and we've only ever lost internet connection during thunderstorms or extremely intense prolonged rains. We average 115-200 Mbps down on most days, with ~15 Mbps down during storms or heavy traffic times.

Runs an Xbox (Streaming Video), Desktop PC (Gaming), 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, a Smart TV, and Smart Appliances no problem. Even get perfect WiFi coverage ~100 yards away in the barn.

Our major concern now is China talking about how they're going to potentially start blasting StarLink satellites out of orbit due to the perceived "threat".

Great internet service though, better than the Comcast clowns we dealt with in the city...
Agreed, in fact it is good enough that we use it at the Seek Outside HQ even though it is in the city ... the city internet was down too often

N.ID7803

WKR
What kind of speeds is everyone getting with Starlink? I just got the email that my order is ready, but just switched to an internet provider that seems to be decent. So wondering if Starlink is actually going to be that much better.

I just ran a speed test and it was 132 down and 4 up. I also run voip phones through it - works well with a lot of overseas calls. So far, other than dealing with the damaged unit I first received, this thing has been flawless. Huge improvement over dealing with regular comcast outages. I love it and I'm not even remote.

SouthPaw

WKR
I need it bad, they are saying end of year for me. Stuck with 4g LTE mimo in my remote area. It works but doesn't handle super high loads and drops out occasionally. Hurry up Elon, prioritize us rural folks with crap options!