Spare pistol or not in the back country, a modest proposal.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, because lots of things can go wrong with pistols that cannot be fixed with a spare mag (broken springs, cracked frames, or it could fall out of the holster) should I carry two pistols while rifle hunting in the back country?

It would probably be best to have a full sized and a compact that use the same magazines as that way I only have to carry one spare mag and can save a little weight. Something like a a G17 and a G19. Do you think three 33 round magazines will be enough (one in each gun and a spare) or perhaps just three 17 round mags, but that only gives me 51 rounds. 9mm is so light there is not much weight penalty. The spare mag is needed because it would be too slow to reload by pulling the mag out of the backup G19.

I'm pretty sure 17 rounds of 9mm is enough for a griz, but what if there are 3 of them hunting in a pack?

What is the best way to train to dual wield? Also, do I really need to learn braced contact shooting, that just sounds dangerous. I hear the best strategy is to shoot a charging bear as fast as you can and rapid fire 9mm is more accurate and deadly that one shot from the 458 lott my friend hunts deer with. I'm pretty sure my 223 will take a griz just fine, but I'm too slow working the bolt and don't want the weight of my AR. Perhaps I should just build a UL AR on a polymer lower?

Tmac

WKR
For your use case it sounds to me you really need to consider a grenade launcher. Attach a M203 to your .223. Get a lightweight AR. Best of both worlds. The grenade performs terminally like a rapid fire of 9mm, more of a swarm than a stream of bullets however. Just need to launch one. Then you can end it with the known lethality of a 223 right between the eyes.

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
So, because lots of things can go wrong with pistols that cannot be fixed with a spare mag (broken springs, cracked frames, or it could fall out of the holster) should I carry two pistols while rifle hunting in the back country?

It would probably be best to have a full sized and a compact that use the same magazines as that way I only have to carry one spare mag and can save a little weight. Something like a a G17 and a G19. Do you think three 33 round magazines will be enough (one in each gun and a spare) or perhaps just three 17 round mags, but that only gives me 51 rounds. 9mm is so light there is not much weight penalty. The spare mag is needed because it would be too slow to reload by pulling the mag out of the backup G19.

I'm pretty sure 17 rounds of 9mm is enough for a griz, but what if there are 3 of them hunting in a pack?

What is the best way to train to dual wield? Also, do I really need to learn braced contact shooting, that just sounds dangerous. I hear the best strategy is to shoot a charging bear as fast as you can and rapid fire 9mm is more accurate and deadly that one shot from the 458 lott my friend hunts deer with. I'm pretty sure my 223 will take a griz just fine, but I'm too slow working the bolt and don't want the weight of my AR. Perhaps I should just build a UL AR on a polymer lower?
Please share 😂😂😂😂

fwafwow

WKR
Yes. Two is one and one is none.
99>51 - math - you have your answer. Don't forget one in the chamber.
I used to think that pack hunting by bears, especially grizzlies, was unusual or limited to the pre-rut. But now that the Cocaine Bear movie (true in all respects - although i haven't seen it) is out, I'm rethinking my stance. Cocaine is a drug, and drugs lead to gangs, so ergo/ursus gangs of bears is a distinct possibility.
Lots to unpack here. First, have you looked into the 9mm TMK, or for that matter, the 223 77gr TMK shot out of an AR pistol (and I mean a real pistol, not one with a brace)? Probably tough to match the 99 capacity above, unless you go to one of the drum mags. 458 Lott is IMHO more of a brush-busting round, so if you are planning to hide in or hunt from behind a bush, you could still look into it.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Yes. I reccomend 2 full size. What is the point of a micro sized pistol that you wont be able to find in your 9900 ci pack on your 2 day hunt. One on each side of the belt makes sense for rapid draw.

Duh 3 - 33 rounders. because 17 rounder thats only 5.67 rounds per grizz on 17. Seems under guned. 2 full size dual draw is 66 rounds. 22 rounds per bear is much better.

best training. Start by watching face off. Do what nikki cage does. Your always more accurate when jumping or rolling as well. If your not doing 30 sommersaults training your not doing it right.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Depends.

How many rifles are you carrying ?

No joke. Years ago a guy I knew who was new to the State showed me a pic from a recent hunting trip. I asked him what all the guns he was carrying in the pic were for ?

He looked at me like I was the dumbest guy on the planet and said "The rifle in my hand is for caribou, the shotgun slung over my shoulder is for ptarmigan, and the handgun on my belt is if we run into a bear".

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I think a brace of 2-4 Taurus judges might be something to consider. Handheld shotgun and all…when you run one dry just jerk out the next one and go to town.

grfox92

WKR
I'm thinking 2 AR pistols and 2, 100 round drum magazines loaded with TMKs. That way if one AR pistol malfunctions you have the second one handy. And if you run into several packs of wolves on your hike back to your truck after killing the pack of grizzly, you still have plenty of TMKs to sling.

I also wouldn't discount bringing your entire press and reloading equipment in your pack. If you go through all 200 rounds of TMKs it might make sense to collect your brass and start loading more pills.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For your use case it sounds to me you really need to consider a grenade launcher. Attach a M203 to your .223. Get a lightweight AR. Best of both worlds. The grenade performs terminally like a rapid fire of 9mm, more of a swarm than a stream of bullets however. Just need to launch one. Then you can end it with the known lethality of a 223 right between the eyes.
What about this?

gabenzeke

WKR
The Babylon bee would be so jealous if they knew about this forum and some of the dudes on here.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Dang, I am still trying to figure out if this is serious or not. I struggle to justify carrying an extra mag. I guess thats why I shoot glocks, I never have to worry about them going bang. They are ugly as hell but just flat work.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I also wouldn't discount bringing your entire press and reloading equipment in your pack. If you go through all 200 rounds of TMKs it might make sense to collect your brass and start loading more pills.
Can we get some dudes that speak American in here? I'm trying to put Tiger Balm on this grizzly's nuts and he's working up a ladder test over here.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Possibly perrrrfect! Is it loaded with TMK’s?
I can load TMKs in the 22lr cases, beauty of not having to use a mag is OAL does not matter. 77 gr, right?

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So, my friend with the 458 Lott is saying if I copy his 458 I only need to carry 3 rounds. One for the animal I'm hunting, one for a grizz, and one as a blankie for packing out after dropping the grizz. He says taking more than three rounds is stupid and just extra weight. He might have a good point.

He says grizz never hunt in packs and wolves don't hunt people. He also says the 458 Lott is accurate out past 500 yards. Just be sure and use a NF scope for reliability. He says recoil is not an issue, unless somebody is a little b****.

This is his. What do you guys think?20220728_155408.jpg

Last edited: