Speeding up the reloading process? Powder measuring?

BBob

WKR
Charge Master good enough? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what your goals are. For me I spent way too much time dumping the charge back into the hopper for a do over and scale tolerance on them isn't great either. Auto Trickler when dialed in hits the mark far more often than not.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You may be right, but I can’t conceivably shoot well enough to notice a .1 gr of difference. To spend another $1000 to gain that minimal level of additional accuracy doesn’t seem worth it to me. I’d rather spend that money on more tags or more guns.

gelton

WKR
IMO the answer to this question depends on what you are loading for and how close to max pressure you might be.

For instance, reloading for my large-caliber bolt actions, when I am pumping out maybe 50 rounds per reload, I prefer using the RCBS chargemaster. However, I would never call it fast.

If I am reloading for an AR-type platform where I am cranking out 300 rounds per reload I much prefer keeping the charge a grain or two below max and using a powder throw so that I don't have to worry about weighing the charge except every 50 rounds or so to be sure it's still throwing a precise weight.

Since I don't shoot competition and will not be taking any long-range shot on an AR platform, speed is more important than precision from a reloading perspective.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I load for big game bolt action guns for hunting. Usually 20 to 40 rounds in a session. That’s it. Not interested in competition or mass volume. And my loads are all at least a full grain under any sort of pressure situation.

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
I love big game bolt action guns for hunting. Usually 20 to 40 rounds in a session. That’s it. Not interested in competition or mass volume. And my loads are all at least a full grain under any sort of pressure situation.
In this case I would recommend an RCBS chargemaster or something similar, not very fast but precise.

Marble

WKR
The digital powder measure from RCBS has an adjustment that can speed it up depending on what powder you use. I set it for a few grains below max, use the faster dispensing and trickle the last bit in. Much faster for me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm quick with a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Redding Trickler, and Redding #2 Beam Scale.

I typically use 4350 or 4831 powders.

TexasTB

FNG
Take a look at the Auto-trickler video. Great piece of equipment and throws within .02 grains. I upgraded to the V3 technology which allows you to set the the machine via your iPhone or iPad.

4ester

WKR
Digital powder dispenser. I mounted mine above my bench to the wall, so I can seat my bullets with no fear of bumping the scale while it’s measuring the next load.

Auto throw/trickler is fast and accurate to the kernel if you have the coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RCBS chargemaster does a great job, and if I am trying to be really precise I’ll weigh what it dispenses on the FX120i. I haven’t gotten the autotricker up and running for that yet.

mmac

WKR
RCBS chargemaster lite for me. I honestly can’t imagine ever doing it any other way, speed and more important, accuracy.