Spiders in house

KsRancher

WKR
We would see the occasional spider in the house and no big deal. The end of January my 8yr old daughter got bit by a spider. We are guessing that when she went in the closet and got out a stocking hat that there was one in it. It got her behind the ear. Since then we have seen one a couple times a week. From looking online they are brown recluse.

What do people do to get rid of them? House is a slab house with attic. Was looking at bombing the house of some sort. Never done this before. Guessing that after you do it, you would have to thoroughly clean the whole house, wash all clothes and take all food out of house?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402-202132_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402-202132_Gallery.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 112

Pn8hall

WKR
Those things are no joke. My sister had them real bad in her basement and it took months to get rid of them with a professional exterminator. Same deal with a few other people I know. I cant offer any advice on getting rid of them other than seek a professional to help. Good luck and if anyone else gets bit keep an eye on those bites. You can start losing flesh in short order. I have several friends with big ole scars from them.

I spray Tempo in my house a few times a year. I spray all the floor boards, up the wall in every corner, and around every door. I also do this in the garage.

It is safe when it dries.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Bayer Suspend (deltamethrin). I had an issue with bark scorpions inside my place here in metro Phx years ago. Deltamethrin took care of the issue, very satisfied. Bark scorpions are pretty notorious for being hard to get rid of if you already have them.

Thanks for the reminder. Probably need to spray again now that it's getting warm out.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Hard to tell by the picture, but if it really was brown recluse that bit her she would have had serious problems. I know a few guys who ended up in the hospital and lost flesh, and one damn near died. they are also called violin. spiders due to the violin make on the top of their body. nasty little buggers the are. When ever I go to the shed for a pair of gloves, I shake them out real good then stomp on them. They are call recluse for a reason.

ODB

WKR
In use a permethrin-based spray. I hate spiders. And this is a good reminder to spray this week.

*zap*

WKR
Hard to tell by the picture, but if it really was brown recluse that bit her she would have had serious problems. I know a few guys who ended up in the hospital and lost flesh, and one damn near died. they are also called violin. spiders due to the violin make on the top of their body. nasty little buggers the are. When ever I go to the shed for a pair of gloves, I shake them out real good then stomp on them. They are call recluse for a reason.
This

7mm-08

WKR
I live with a couple ladies who are NOT fans of bugs, especially spiders. We have a few poisonous spiders where we live and I have dealt with them in the garage, but not the house. You dealing with brown recluses is no joke - they are damned dangerous and can kill kids. They'll scar an adult badly with a bite. Every three months, I apply a pesticide called Cyzmic CS, a microencapsulated formulation I purchase from Amazon outside the house. It's spendy at $43 for 8 ounces, but it has virtually eliminated all the bugs that entered our house before we started using it a few years ago. Two things - (1) the system you use to apply the pesticide is critical. Don't think you can get by with a Home Depot garden sprayer here. I suggest you get one of the sprayers that professional pesticide companies use, which is manufactured by B & G Equipment from Jackson, GA. Again, they're expensive but the safety of your family sounds to be at stake in your situation. The key to these B & G sprayers is the accuracy of their nozzles. (2) Carefully follow the application instructions on the pesticide label. Please don't over concentrate. Wear good dermal and respiratory protection when applying. I got a hit of it once outdoors before I started wearing a decent KN95 filter and it was not pleasant. If you use it in the house, ensure that it is completely dry before you let humans and animals have contact with it. This material and sprayer is what all the professional pest companies in my area use. Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions in a PM.

MattB

WKR
Like many poisonous critters, the severity of bites can vary and there is such a thing as a mild bite. Not every bite results in the worst case - except maybe on the internet.

*zap*

WKR
Brown recluse spider bites typically go through three stages:

1. First 24 hours: The bite will initially cause a stinging sensation. ...
  2. Days 3-5: Depending on the amount of venom injected by the spider, the pain will either diminish or continue for several days. ...
  3. Days 7-14: In severe cases, the skin tissue around the blister or ulcer can begin to die (necrosis), leading to the formation of a thick, black scab. ...

JohnB

WKR
In use a permethrin-based spray. I hate spiders. And this is a good reminder to spray this week.
I'm not a cat owner, but FYI permethrin is a neurotoxin for cats. If you are a cat owner make sure Mr. Whiskers is not around until the permethrin has dried. Supposedly at that point it is no longer a concern for cats. Further reading is likely warrented too.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
I spray Tempo in my house a few times a year. I spray all the floor boards, up the wall in every corner, and around every door. I also do this in the garage.

It is safe when it dries.
Thanks. I keep Tempo around to spray my trees for bagworms. Never thought about it indoors.
Check out Bayer Suspend (deltamethrin). I had an issue with bark scorpions inside my place here in metro Phx years ago. Deltamethrin took care of the issue, very satisfied. Bark scorpions are pretty notorious for being hard to get rid of if you already have them.

Thanks for the reminder. Probably need to spray again now that it's getting warm out.
Thanks. I will look into this one. If it will get rid scorpions. I would think a spider would be easier

Fatcamp

WKR
Like many poisonous critters, the severity of bites can vary and there is such a thing as a mild bite. Not every bite results in the worst case - except maybe on the internet.

This.

I would already have glue traps down and bee on the phone with an exterminator.

Rich M

WKR
What are the spiders eating?

An exterminator is a good idea.

I use bombs in my dad's place, he goes away for a time and I bomb the place. Find whatever critters that got past the home bug treatments. I used em in my garage when I had some weird caterpillars in there. Just over the counter stuff from Walmart, 'cept I used like 4 when it says to use 2.

We get black & brown widows from time to time. They like to hide in corners and leave a spiked egg sak. Kill em when I find em - haven't seen any in a while. We used to live in a place with scorpions, wife got tagged once and I had one under my pillow at night - reached under there and there's this scorpion. Nuts what we get to live with.

Hope you can get it figured out and keep the house pest-free for some peace of mind.

OP
KsRancher

KsRancher

WKR
Wife just found this one in the kitchen sink. Pretty certain its a brown recluse

Attachments

• 20230403_063857.jpg
    20230403_063857.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230403_064053.jpg
    20230403_064053.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 82
I grew up in a house with a lot of spiders, including black widows and brown recluses. Widows usually stayed in garage and darker low traffic areas but recluses were everywhere. If I remember right, they like cardboard, so if you have a lot of boxes in an attack or closet clean them out and use Tupperware. Glue traps along base boards, especially in any areas or rooms you think they are coming from.
I’ve had mixed luck with sprays/exterminators, they always said because the spiders are lifted off the ground and abdomen doesn’t touch they are harder to spray for? This was a long time ago, could of just been bad exterminators.
I’ve been bitten twice by recluse, once as a kid a hole opened up about the size to put the head of a pencil in, the other recently just turned purple and splotchy and went away after about a week. I know people though that it’s been a huge deal, multiple surgeries, etc. Just keep a close eye on a bite, but usually don’t need to run to the hospital unless someone has an extreme reaction.